Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

cheesy kale chips
Posted by: marsh ()
Date: May 13, 2009 09:24PM

mmmveg-

OMG i finally got around to making these, and they are SO GOOD!! i have almost eaten the whole batch already. what a great recipe! i think even a hard core dairy lover would sware there's cheese in these!

thank you so much!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cheesy kale chips
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 13, 2009 11:03PM

ok wheres the recipie lol

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: May 13, 2009 11:29PM

look in the thread called "can someone help me with my chip craving"-

i'll try and copy and paste....

they are sooooo good!

Cheezy Kale Chips

1 bunch Kale washed, large stems (I call them spines) removed and torn into bit sized pieces
1 c. cashews (soaked 2 hours)
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
juice of a lemon
1 tbs. nutritional yeast
2 tsp. agave (opt.)
1/2 tsp himalayan sea salt

Put ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. Put the kale peices into a large bowl and pour the cheezy mix on top. Mix with your hands (this is the fun part!) until all the pieces are coated. Spread onto dehydrator sheets (i'm a bit meticulous and seperate them all nicely) and dehydrate at 110 for 8 hrs or so until crunchy.

This is a really easy recipe. I hope you'll make them!

ha! it worked! (i'm very low-tech, can you tell....smiling smiley )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2009 11:30PM by marsh.

Date: May 13, 2009 11:48PM

hehe good job ! thanks very much smiling smiley

Posted by: mmmveg ()
Date: May 14, 2009 01:34PM

i'm so thrilled you made them! i know! they are good huh? so so glad you gave them a shot. a batch never lasts a day in my house. i brought some to my SAD friends. they ask that i make them all the time! go figure.
take care!

Date: May 14, 2009 04:22PM

definitely a keeper recipe, and what a painless way to eat an entire bunch of kale and not even taste it!

yum!

Posted by: VeganDiva ()
Date: May 20, 2009 09:17AM

OK, I don't have a dehydrator (birthday list, but that's not for a while). Do you think it would be poss to make these using my conventional oven at its very very lowest setting, perhaps with the door open? I'm thinking maybe not, but oh these sound soooooooooooooo good!

Any thoughts?

Thanks so much,
Gill xx

Date: May 20, 2009 05:38PM

i think you should try in the oven! why not? i think it would work just fine! just try and keep the temp as low as you can
good luck gill!

Date: May 20, 2009 07:38PM

the oven should be fine , just have a fan blowing in there so you get the air flow thats what gets it dehydrated faster smiling smiley

in the meantime check out your local free-cycle and see if someone might give you a dehydrator .. thats where i got mine from smiling smiley

Date: May 21, 2009 04:26PM

i made some yesterday with brocolli greens! is it every good!

Date: May 25, 2009 05:45AM

oooooh broccoli greens....
was that bitter, or very broccoli-flavored? the kale taste virtually disappears, does the broccoli leaf taste disappear too? i'm not that fond of broccoli by itself.

Date: May 27, 2009 03:18AM

yeah..it's kind of funny that the taste of the greens just disappears huh? the same for the brocolli. i like the kale better though because the leaves are thicker so you get a heartier chip.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 28, 2009 02:21PM

I have a batch of these in my dehydrator right now and am munching on celery sticks with the left over batter. Thanks for posting this recipe, I am totally addicted to these chips and my store has been out of them since Saturday. I have them on order from the manufacturer, but it will be another couple of days before they are shipped. If these taste as good as the store bought ones, I will be able to save myself quite a bit of money and feel a sense of accomplishment (my cauliflower popcorn didn't turn out so good).

Date: May 28, 2009 05:50PM

gailmcc,
i've bought the ones that you can buy and these taste exactly the same (imo)!
please let us know how they turned out!

Date: June 01, 2009 02:39AM

these yummy kale chips are by far my favorite raw recipe ever. thanks so much mmmveg!! i have all the stuff for 2 more batches this week!

Date: June 01, 2009 04:05PM

glad to share!
also..try adding other spices! in the past i've added chili powder..super good! i think i'll live dangerously and add curry to the recipe this week! cheezy curry? sounds good to me!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 12, 2009 12:21AM

Can't wait to try these. I'm new to raw. this is my 2nd week and I added kale to my soup tonight. I got down a bowl but it was not very good, although my 91 y old grandmother said it wasn't bad. She is eating mostly raw now because she lives with me and I do the cooking. Husband and kids are pretty much fending for themselves. I told them I must do this and I can't cook for them and say raw. Very unPaula of me as I always take care of everyone but myself. I am starting a new lifestyle and taking care of me is part of my new lifestlye. I will make your chips tomorrow.

Posted by: suzie08022 ()
Date: July 17, 2009 07:02PM

I wish I had a larger dehydrator now! Four trays of this recipe can be eaten by one hungry woman in an hour or less.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables