Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Kombucha
Posted by: morgenjune ()
Date: June 07, 2009 11:29PM

Okay so I love Kombucha! I usually get a whole case when ever I can make it up to the whole foods in new orleans but my question is it really raw? It says so but I would think anything produced and bottled on a large scale wouldn't be... Anyone know?

Also, I would like to try my hand at making my own so does anyone know how to make Kombucha? Anything along those lines would be very helpful!

morgen

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kombucha
Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: June 08, 2009 12:07AM

It is made by brewing black and green tea, adding Florida crystals while it is really hot, stirring it well, cooling it to room temp, then carefully dumping it into a large glass jar with a scobe, or mother -- kind of a big, portabella looking thing that is a living organism which feeds off the tea and sugar and produces an effervescent, probiotic drink. We got our scobe on Craigslist. It takes about ten days for the scobe to do her thing, and she'll eventually reproduce by new growth on the top. You have to keep her at 68 degrees or cooler. Go online for more info. We enjoy brewing ours. Since the drink is made from tea, technically it is not raw, but the probiotics are great, and I feel nicely energized and my tummy feels great when I drink it. It is the only thing besides water that my four year old will drink.

Posted by: morgenjune ()
Date: June 08, 2009 01:58AM

Okay, I guess I better go find myself a mother scobe then! When you make yours do you add anything to flavor it? I've had lots of difrent favored kombuchas and would like to create them, like cranberry or blueberry!

Thanks for all the great info Sundancer!

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: June 09, 2009 07:12PM

I don't, but I know some people in town who have a kombucha company. They make ginger, schizandraberry, blueberry, green and for the local garlic and arts festival, garlic kombucha. Just add some of your favorite raw juice to the finished product.

Definitely go online or talk to someone if you decide to make it, bucause there are some nuances I missed, like treating the scobe delicately (how to do this), etc.

You're welcome!!! Good luck!

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: June 18, 2009 01:39PM

www.harmonikireland.com

are a great company based in Ireland that sell Kombucha cultures, plus other cool stuff. Their website has some fascinating articles on as well smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables