Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

almonds: getting rid of the skin
Posted by: Helen ()
Date: July 21, 2009 01:32PM

Urgent: for a recipe I need almonds without skin.

My mother skins almonds by putting them into boiling water. Of course I don't want to boil them, so I wonder if I can take off the skin if I just soaked them in cold or warm water.

It would be great if you could share your experience!

Thanx in advance.

Helen

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: almonds: getting rid of the skin
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: July 21, 2009 04:47PM

From a google search -

Blanche them by pouring boiling water over them in a pot and setting it aside for three minutes. Drain off the water and slip the skins off by squeezing the almonds between your thumb and fingers.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 21, 2009 06:40PM

mine came right off after soaking over night. if they are still stuck then dunking them in boiling hot (but not boiling) water for a second or two should loosen them and isn't long enough to damage the nutritional or enzymatic quality of the nuts as they are very dense.

Posted by: Helen ()
Date: July 22, 2009 08:05AM

Thank you for your advice.

Just wanted to tell you: I soaked the almonds over night in water that had room temperature and this morning I could scrape the peel off. It is some work, but I am just glad that I do not have to use boiling water.

Date: July 22, 2009 06:51PM

oh, i forgot to mention how i got off the skin, d'oh! if you give each almond a squeeze they should just pop right out. faster than scraping it off but still takes a bit of time. this is easy if you are just eating the nuts, i just do each one as i pop them into my mouth. kinda like cracking sunflower seed shells.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 27, 2009 05:37PM

why do u want to take the skin off
is it cuz of the small amounts of tannic acid
or is it cuz you are trying to make some sort of flour and don't want it to look mottled

just curious
or maybe its cuz it tastes better that way?
but i do agree
it does seem like a bit of work

i am so lazy

Date: July 27, 2009 08:21PM

it's not nice in some recipes. though i gotta say, if you put the almonds into a spice mill/coffe grinder and make them into flour the skins don't matter in recipes at all. won't work for all of them but it's great in ones that a powder will do for.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables