Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Brazil nuts...
Posted by: diana ()
Date: December 26, 2009 07:52AM

Since pine nuts and macadamia nuts are so expensive I've started using brazil nuts in place of them. Does anyone have any special recipes utilizing brazil nuts?...Thanks...Diana

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Brazil nuts...
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 03, 2010 10:04PM

Diana,

I'd be careful about overusing Brazil nuts--they are high in selenium and too much is not healthy.

Because I limit my consumption to a small handful every week or two, I find the best way to eat them is to just soak overnight, rinse, and then dab dry with a towel. They are lower in fat than other nuts, so harder to make into a creamy butter or binding meal, but they are nice sliced up into thick slivers(once softened through soaking), tossed with naturally dehydrated seasonings and then dehydrated until a tad crunchy again. This is a nice way to spice up salads.

1 cup[by volume] raw Brazil nuts, soaked 10-12 hours, rinsed and towel dried
1-2 teaspoons raw liquid oil, such as coconut
2+ teaspoons chili powder
1/2-1 teaspoons natural salt or Nama Shoyu
1-2 teaspoons raw lemon juice

Carefully slice Brazil nuts with a sharp paring knife into slivers. Place in a deep bowl. Coat with oil and lemon juice. Sprinkle on salt or Nama Shoyu and chili powder; start with a small amount of each and then add more to taste. Toss well to coat. Let sit 20 minutes. Drain well and arrange on Teflex sheets or natural parchment paper on a dehydrator tray. Dehydrate at 110 degrees, 8-10 hours, or until dry to the touch, stirring two or three times to ensure even drying. Store in an airtight container and use up within 10 days. You can vary the seasoning, i.e. replace with dried herbs, to suit your whim. The drying time will vary according to your dehydrator and the dampness of the nuts at slicing. If they will not be used up quickly, store the finished nuts in the refrigerator to retard spoilage.

Re: Brazil nuts...
Posted by: eecho ()
Date: January 12, 2010 02:13AM

I've made these pancakes with them a couple times, and I think its pretty good: [goneraw.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables