Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Lemon Juice
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 20, 2010 06:03AM

Hello everyone,

Here is a question i have been thinking a lot aobut recently.
I have been getting diffrent opinions about the qualities of lemon juice. I though i can use it as a natural raw preservative but people have told me it is actually very sensitive and is the reason why recipes that have it in them tend to go bad faster.
Does anyone has a saying on that ? In addition, i squeezed some lemons last week, and kept the xtra juice in the fridge, for how long does it keep?

In case you agree with the opinion it is sensitive, what other material can be used as a preservative?

Thanks ahead,

Eric

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lemon Juice
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 20, 2010 02:03PM

What are you trying to preserve? Lemon juice is an acidic product, so it will repel some pathogens but attract others. As to a better preservative that doesn't get contaminated: salt.

Re: Lemon Juice
Posted by: frances ()
Date: January 20, 2010 02:53PM

Lemon juice can slow oxidation. That's why I always squeeze a little lemon or lime over chopped apples or avocados that I'm not using immediately, but it's not an actual preservative (as I understand the word anyway).

Salt, as Tamukha said, is a preservative. The more salt you use, the more effective it is. This is a dangerous strategy to extend too far, obviously.

Fermented foods, like vinegar and alcohol are preserving. You can also deliberately ferment foods in a controlled way, as in sauerkraut or kimchee, to increase their shelf life.

Oil also extends shelf life of many foods, though fats can go rancid especially at higher temperatures. Keeping oils at moderate temperatures helps, as does limiting exposure to air.

(One of the reasons many restaurants keep oil and vinegar on the tables, is that their effective room-temperature shelf-life is years. They are two things wait staff doesn't have to shuttle back and forth from the fridge.)

Sugar can also increase shelf life, though this is not often a raw strategy. Sugar, honey, agave nectar, etc... do not require refrigeration, and foods that are heavily sweetened can last longer. When I was young, my mother never used to leave apple pies on the kitchen counter for as long as it took for someone to finish them. They could last several days without spoiling (though I'm sure they could have lasted longer in the fridge). Raw sweets can also last longer because of the sweetener.

Freezing and dehydration are also common strategies, as they don't introduce unwanted ingredients. Frozen or dehydrated food can still be raw, but it isn't quite as living as the original.

In the end, the more you do to preserve food, the less the food will be live and vibrant. It isn't always possible to avoid taking steps to preserve your food. Luckily, when you do, there are quite a few options.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables