Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Strawberry banana pie
Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: September 26, 2006 06:01PM

Crust:
Adjust to taste and the size of your pie pan/form:
1 Cup of almonds
1 Cup of dates

I don't soak the almonds the crust is crunchy. Put everything in the food processor and pulse it a few times until it turn into a ball of sticky doe with crumb size almond bits. Press the doe into pie pan/form, place in the fridge until you're ready to use it. I try to remember to wipe down the inside of the pie pan with coconut oil so it's easier to get out.

Filling:
1-2 bananas (depending on size)
a bunch of strawberries (i buy a pint and normally has some left over)

Slice the bananas and strawberries relatively thinnly. Put a layer of bananas in the bottom of the pie crust, then a layer of strawberries, then a layer of bananas. If you have a deep pie crust you can put more layers in.

The Cream:
1 cup of young coconut meat
1 tsp of argave
1/3 cup of raw cashews (or coconut oil)
a little of lemon juice

Place all in the food processor or blender. Process until smooth and creamy. Pour the cream on the to of pie.

Refridgerate for a couple of hours and serve.

Ian.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Strawberry banana pie
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 27, 2006 08:12AM

hey ian

that's mighty creative of you
thanx smiling smiley

Posted by: vegan john ()
Date: September 27, 2006 02:28PM

Hi Ian,
Sounds really yummy. Would love to eat some right now.

I can't get organic young coconut meat where I live. Could you (or anybody else) suggest an alternative to it that would work in the recipe?

Thanks
John

Date: September 27, 2006 05:56PM

Hi VJ,

Coconut oil and/or nuts can be used in place of coconut meat. In fact I find the whole raw vegan uncooking thing is all about improvisation. I just look around my kitchen and ask myself, what do I think would turn out nice and creamy if I blend it with my 49 horsepower blender? (Ok, I don't really have a 49 horsepower blender, but maybe one day.)

Cheers,
Ian.
P.S.: Thanks LV.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 08, 2006 03:13AM

Ian,

Tried this a few days ago, but after pouring the cream on top of the fruit, I froze the pie overnight and then let it sit out for an hour before serving. I had added a little more water to the cream mixture while blending, so it filled in all the nooks and crannies between the fruit.

Kind of like a fruity coconut cream pie - delicious!

Thanks for this great idea!

Posted by: trinity082482 ()
Date: December 15, 2006 02:45AM

Sounds delicious!

Posted by: trinity082482 ()
Date: February 01, 2007 04:50AM

did the banana discolour or did the strawberries hide the banana well? I find if I leave banana in the fridge as a pie or smoothie it browns or goes a little purple. yuck!

Date: February 01, 2007 09:54PM

The cream keeps the bananas covered and prevents them for oxidizing. The cream should cover the top of the pie, so you'll want to pie filling tightly packs so the cream can't drain to the bottom threw little cracks.

Cheers,
Ian.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables