Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

raw indian recipe? and prickly pear??
Posted by: all one ()
Date: December 28, 2006 07:26AM

anyone know a good recipe for some good indian dish that would include fresh raw chickpeas, maybe some coconut???

also, has anyone ever eaten a prickly pear and if so how did you eat it, it has seeds all throughout it like a pomagrant sort of. I think i'd just juice it, but if anyone has any ideas of what i could make with it please share.

thanks all

Peace and Harmony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: raw indian recipe? and prickly pear??
Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: December 28, 2006 07:40AM

Hi,

within the last year I posted a Chana Masala recipe to this forum, but I can't find it any more (did it get deleted or am I just searching wrong?). I'll let you know if I find it. It was basically making a Masala sauce (tomatos, onions, garlic, ginger, spice, etc.) and pouring it over the shelled fresh chickpeas, let it sit for as long as you can (the tricky part) so the chickpeas soak in some of the sauce.

Cheers,
Ian.

Posted by: all one ()
Date: December 28, 2006 08:19PM

yes, i read through the forum and saw that you posted it and I cound not find it either.. that's why i asked... but the soaking idea helps a lot anyway.

I find it so amazing that after you read so many recipes you can eventually find logical foods that will help make substitutions for things you once ate. It's awesome.

Peace and Harmony

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: January 01, 2007 06:10PM

I love prickly pears! I eat the seeds, they seem like a problem at first but they go down real easy. I use a kife and fork to eat them - put the fork in the middle, chop off both ends, slice lengthways just deep enough to cut through the skin and then kind of roll the skin off using the knife and fork, then you can pick out the flesh without getting spiked!

Ro

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: ela ()
Date: January 02, 2007 02:22AM

Yes, agree with Rob - prickly pears are _wonderful_! And the seeds are just fine. Could blend them up with some figs maybe to make a pudding/pie filling but they are so delicious and showy just by themselves.

I tend to make curry with cauliflower, apples, celery and raisins all chopped up and then a dressing of oranges, curry powder, ginger, pepper and some sort of fat (I've done it on different occasions with various soaked nuts/seeds, young coco meat, mature coco meat, avocado...) Also varied the chopped veggies - it's basically all good!
love
Ela

Posted by: jorgeben ()
Date: November 04, 2007 07:09AM

For the prickly pears-
There's a thick skin, but it's very nutritious and rich in anti-oxidants. I recommend peeling it like a potato, trying to save as much of the skin flesh as possible. The seeds are perfectly edible, but can cause constipation if you eat too many at one sitting (15+ in my case).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables