Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What do raw olives taste like?
Posted by: trinity082482 ()
Date: January 23, 2007 04:14AM

I want to buy some online but worried I will be expecting the same as fermented olives. Can anyone describe in detail to me what they are like.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What do raw olives taste like?
Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: January 24, 2007 07:54PM

Have never had raw olives but the sundried ones are excellent but pricey.

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: January 24, 2007 09:17PM

I guess this depends on your definination of raw... I consider sundried and fermented/cured olives to be raw, providing that they have not been heated at any stage. Anything coming in a can or jar will most likely have been heated during the canning process - those I definately can not consider to be raw.

Ian.

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: January 28, 2007 12:09AM

I love olives. I just bought some Manzanilla and Green Garlic Stuffed Olives from RawGuru and if you like the proccessed, store bought green olives you'll like them. I was suprised that they tasted exactly the same.. they were just..fresher. Store ones seem like they've been sitting in those jars for years. On the jar they say "raw, no heat proccessing and chemical free"

I thought the garlic stuffed ones would be hot because of the garlic but they weren't. They were still good though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2007 12:10AM by LikeItOrNot.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 28, 2007 02:35PM

I buy olives in the Fresh Market. I buy them by the pound. Are these OK?

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: January 28, 2007 09:30PM

To me raw oilive = sun dried olive. Any other olive would have been picked before it was ripe and processed some way (usually with chemicals or salt) to make it edible.

If you pick an olive off a tree, or one which has just recently fallen, it will be extremly bitter. In nature, olives start off green, then turn black, then fall off the tree, then sit on the ground for a month or so and then they are ready to eat. They taste different to processed olives, quite hard to describe the flavour, I love them!

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: January 29, 2007 07:57AM

Rob, what do you think is wrong with them if they were "processed" with sea salt and herbs? Better than chemicals..

Anyway, these are the olives I bought..
[adamsoliveranch.com]

"This year we have launched our new label and product line “Raw Earth Organics.”
The term “Raw” means no heat processing. We cure our olives in a slow nine-month
fermentation process to remove the bitterness, leaving the true olive taste is desired. "

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2007 07:58AM by LikeItOrNot.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: January 30, 2007 06:15PM

LikeItOrNot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rob, what do you think is wrong with them if they
> were "processed" with sea salt and herbs? Better
> than chemicals..

Yes, better than chemicals! But personally I only eat fruit if it is ripe, processed olives are not ripe, they only taste good to eat because of the processing. And sitting under an olive tree eating fresh sun dried olives is my favourite way to eat them!

(The same reason I don't use oilve oil, it is made from unripe, usually green, olives.)

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: trinity082482 ()
Date: February 01, 2007 04:42AM

Thanks for the feedback.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables