Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

can you make 'chips'?
Posted by: alicemagoo ()
Date: May 01, 2007 10:18PM

I was wondering if you can make 'mock potato chips' or vegetable chips using a dehydrator.?

i have not yet used a dehydrator..but am considering one.

i am thinking , however, that dehydrated foods are rather more rubbery than crispy.. i may be wrong..

maybe it depends on the cut of the pieces.

anyone have any insight ( real experience) along these lines.?

i would like to make crispy chips of veggies and bananas, carrotts, potatoes, zuccinis, squash..
can i do it with these veggies and a dehydrator?

thanks
alice

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: can you make 'chips'?
Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: May 02, 2007 12:00AM

ooooh, thanks for asking this alice.
i just got a dehydrator (for free) and am experimenting, and have the exact same question.

thanks! and can anyone share recipes for cracker type crispy things?

peace-

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 02, 2007 12:50AM

i find with my dehydrator the thinner things are sliced the crisper they are smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Fud ()
Date: May 04, 2007 02:33PM

before raw I've dehydrated lots of stuff, making chips, bananas turned out "ok", potatoes brown and disgusting. I found I had to salt and/or spritz with oil or some type of sweetened water in order to get the effects I wanted on most foods. I don't think there's a way to get decent crispy out of most of them that will satisfy the "raw" guidelines.

[rawfoodtrip.blogspot.com]
[jugglingforjoy.com]

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 04, 2007 05:53PM

i soaked my potatoes in lemon juice which seemed to reduce the browning quite a bit

i rinsed off the lemon juice before dehydrating smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: bronwynsun ()
Date: May 05, 2007 02:26AM

try zuchini, sliced really thin, with olive oil and sea salt...it's amazing!

also try with salt and ACV!

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: May 05, 2007 12:06PM

Yep you can make yummy crispy things...just soak them in a little mixture of braggs lemon juice or apple cider vinegar if you do that..some herbs you like...and then dehydrate for a few hours or until crispy..and like everyone has said the thinner you make them the crispier...you can make thicker crispy things but longer dehydrated time!!!
hmm well lets see what sorts of crispy receipes do you want??? flax seed stuff...pulp crackers..sweet salty haha..i have a trillion books and will gladly post a few receipes for ya let me know!!
love earthangel
xoxxoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: May 06, 2007 01:16AM

i might just have to buy a zucchini and try it.

i tried flaxseeds, carrots and garlic, and my baby boy likes them, but my husband spit them out. i can't find any flaxseeds that i don't have an allergic reaction to, so i'm quitting on that one.

bananas- i think i'd rather freeze them.
potatoes- okay, i'd eat those anyway i can get them now! is there anyway on these?
sweet potatoes- do they make chips?

my problem is that i don't like the pulp stuff all that much, and my dog doesn't get her veggies if i eat them all. but i don't have any way to consistently slice my veggies the same thin/ super thinness. and we don't have money/space for any more doo-dads...
suggestions- i do have acv and braggs. i'll try the zucchini and let you know how it goes.

peace-

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: May 06, 2007 08:32AM

hmm potato's sound good...soak them in the apple cider vinegar if you like the taste and dehydrate them..and soak some in braggs and vinegar..or braggs and some pure water so it isn't too intense..and dehydrate them...just slice them as thin as you can i mean don't stres..just takes a little longer...sweet potatos will make chips too!!! good luck smiling smiley
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: May 08, 2007 03:49PM

tried potatoes, but the starchy texture/flavor is too much. they look great, and the texture isn't bad, but the starch aftertaste really grosses me out. on to zucchini.

thanks!
and always

peace-

Posted by: bronwynsun ()
Date: May 09, 2007 08:58PM

zuchini really is great i've found..it doesn't really have a strong taste apart from what you put on it, as opposed to potato or sweet potato. let us know how it works for you!

Posted by: Fud ()
Date: May 09, 2007 10:35PM

I've soaked flax seed overnight before. Here's a recipe I found online. I don't use the braggs, or so much lemon, and I've experimented different ingredients. I've never used carrot juice or italian seasonings, etc. Generally diced onions and garlic, and freshly ground mustard powder find their way into my crackers.

4 cups whole flax seeds, soaked 4-6 hours
1/3 to 1/2 cup Braggs Aminos
juice of 2-3 lemons

Soak flax seeds for 4 to 6 hours in purified water. You will then have a gelatinous mixture, be sure to keep moist and loose for spreading. Add Braggs and lemon juice to taste and mix well. Spread mixture as thin as possible on your dehydrator trays with a teflex sheet on top. Keep your hands wet as this will help on spreading the flax seeds (or use a spatula) Dehydrate at 105 degees for 5-6 hours and then flip the mixture and remove the teflex sheet. Continue dehydrating until the mixture completely dry. Approximately 5-6 hours.

Optional:

You could add garlic, onions, carrot juice, taco seasoning, Italian seasoning, chili powder, cumin in any combination. Be creative and make up your own recipe.

[rawfoodtrip.blogspot.com]
[jugglingforjoy.com]

Posted by: purenkind ()
Date: May 10, 2007 06:55PM

I just made some yummy green crackers...

soaked ground flax seeds
cerery
onions
swiss chard
parsley
zucchini
spinach
dill
salt

YUM!!

I used to use soaked whole flax seeds for my crackers
but I guess I must not chew them well enough because
they come out the other end still whole! Grinding them
first and then soaking them still creates the gelantinous
goo that holds everything together.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 12, 2007 07:11AM

Hi, So, you mix up these soaked ground flax seeds and veges in blender and dehydrate to make that crackers?

i made my first dehydrated veges and I was hoping they will be crispy, but even I did check occasionally and dehydrated for a long time, it became more of "hard to eat" and need to chew so long.
Could anyone suggest what to do?
I did cut up not that thick.
By soaking in lemon or Bragg, it will be crispier?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 13, 2007 02:22AM

We have made crisp crackers with Yam. Don't use potatos.

Lately we have been making crackers with whatever is in the fridge at that time. Here are the main ingredients.

.Soaked flax seeds (brown or golden)
.Pulp from juicer (we usually do carrot, celery, garlic,ginger,beet etc)
.ground flax seeds
.salt a little

that;s it . Put it in cusinart. We save the pulp from juicing for days and use it in the crackers.

Keep it simple.

Posted by: purenkind ()
Date: May 14, 2007 08:27PM

my flax and veggie crackers turned out totally crispy!

Posted by: Petals ()
Date: May 27, 2007 11:22PM

I have made perfect and crispy hialayian sakt and vinager chips from Alisa Cohen;s book, very ez, lol. and crunhcy, Very good raw transitun food if you are craving potato chips....

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: June 18, 2007 07:42AM

When I've had a comfort food craving, I've cut carrots into match sticks and mixed them with olive oil, chili powder, garlic and sea salt and very lightly fried them*.

* Obviously, this is old school and I'm on day #1 back to raw today! ;-) I wonder what a similar mixture would be like dehydrated? I don't own a dehydrator, but can really recommend the combo taste of carrot, chili, olive oil and salt as a fix for something horrid and greasy like fries/chips/potatoey things!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables