Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

spiral slicers.....should you?????
Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: May 06, 2007 10:28AM

Oh my word....i bought one yesterday and thought i would give it a try tonight...i usually use a potato peeler and slice up my zucchini noodles for pasta dishes...well tonight i used the spiralizer and made my raw sauce for it...i tossed it together and took a bite...OH my word is all i have to say...if you have ever been to olive garden you may have had this dish called capollini pomadora....it is my fave actual dish besides the soup and salad..anyways haha it is angel hair pasta with cooked sauce with fresh cut tomatos but slightly cooked as well....it is so good and i love it...well the first bite of my raw zucghetti and it was the frist thing i thought of...it tasted JUST LIKE IT..i was amazed cuz i wasn't even thinking of that dish or trying to replicate it....so if anyone is thinking should i or shouldn't i get a spiral slicer..YOU SHOULD...i would pay double the price for this gadget..it is so easy to use...(you get a slight upper body workout but only froms pinning the handle nothing intense) you just put the veggie in there and turn!! so easy and makes dishes wonderful!!!
good luck
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spiral slicers.....should you?????
Posted by: diana ()
Date: May 06, 2007 04:06PM

I KNOW...I LOVE THIS THING...and as I had mentioned once before...It makes me feel like a good Italian who can still eat her macaroni...Diana

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2007 04:07PM by diana.

Posted by: Ksee ()
Date: May 06, 2007 06:29PM

Well EarthAngel and Diana...I too have a spiralier coming this week! I miss my spaghetti...A LOT!!!!

Ksee ( One of my Irish Setter's)

Ksee@rawfoods.com

Date: May 06, 2007 11:12PM

oh girl wait till you get it haha...ksee you are oging to be in love with it haha..it is the bet thing EVER haha i love it as much as my juicer haha..
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Posted by: happyvegan ()
Date: May 23, 2007 12:36AM

Oh, Angel, help me love my spiral slicer! I've had it for about 7 years and have never been able to make anything turn out good. I love zucchini, so I don't know what the deal is. What veggies do you recommend? What sauces?

Posted by: Niftethrifte ()
Date: May 23, 2007 07:49PM

Is all you can make with a spiral slicer spegetti?

^My Daughter, Sage and I^

Wishing you a whole lotta love,
Niftethrifte

Posted by: diana ()
Date: May 23, 2007 10:01PM

Hello Niftethrifte...Besides slicing veggies into an angel hair pasta like shape...the spiral slicer is good to slice veggies into thin slices too...they then could be used for little roll ups or to dry into chips...I would like to try a grannie smith apple or a chunk of jicama...maybe later on tonight I will...Diana

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: May 23, 2007 10:15PM

happyvegan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've ... never been able
> to make anything turn out good. I love zucchini,
> so I don't know what the deal is. What veggies do
> you recommend? What sauces?

Hi H.V.:

I'm not Angel, but here are other veggies you could use:

carrots, chayote, beets.

If you're into color effects, you could mix and match your colors, like the carrots and chayote or a light and dark green such as chayote and green skin zucchini squash, a yellow and a green zucchini, etc. In case you're not familiar with chayote squash, here's a link to a picture of one I googled up

Wishing you vibrant health

Date: May 27, 2007 11:06AM

hey there h.v...sorry i forgot to check this thread again....but i use mostly zucchini..you can use any other veggies that aren't mushy...like bell peppers (cuz they areh ollow) tomatoes cucumbers and mushrooms don't work well!
but i love zucchini in there with a wonderful tomato sauce!! so yummy!!!..
just blend up some tomatoes..a red bell pepper..some garlic..basil...oregano...(rosemary if you like it) a dash of him sea salt....and a few sundried tomatoes if you have them on hand....pour and enjoy!!!
or if you like pesto..use pinenuts...basil...and olive oil..garlic if you want more of that garlicy taste!! put in food processor and process up haha..
enjoy
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Posted by: ljbn ()
Date: June 10, 2007 09:29PM

Don't you just love the texture and fun of having 'pasta' again!!! I love my zucchini and small pickling cukes (cucumbers) or pieces of an english cucumber slice up very well - I use very simple sauces to go with.

The cukes w/diced (a vidalia onion slicer is great for consistant shapes) tomatoes is a fabulous salad! Oh and I prefer to leave my veggies on the counter so they are room temperature.

Zucchini will last a couple days sliced up - just don't mix the sauce in before storing it.

I gave my Mom one for Mother's day and my daughter one for just cause -- they are both aspiring raw-wannabe's now!

Posted by: anuiyer7 ()
Date: June 12, 2007 07:41PM

I had a question, does raw zucchini taste good with sauce? I tried to eat zucchini with some other veggies in my salad and didn't like it that much. But if I spiralize it and then add the wonderful raw sauce... I wonder, may be I will change my mind.

Any way, yall like raw zucchini?

Date: June 14, 2007 10:40AM

I love raw zucchini with sauce..this was my favorite dish for a while..i am doing more simpler things currently..but i am sur ei will go back tothis sometime...i change often and go through cravings for a few weeks of a certain food then it switches...but i think you should get a spiralizer and try it out..really yummy..can't relaly explain it or offer other suggestions that compare to the actual spiralizer itself..i used the peeler for the longest time and doesn't even COMPARE to the spiralizer i bought..good luck smiling smiley
love earthangel
xoxoxox

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Posted by: carolg ()
Date: June 16, 2007 09:46PM

Where's best place and price to order from? Thanks.
carolg

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: June 17, 2007 12:53PM

I have one of those Saladacco things and have no idea how to make it do the things it's supposed to! ;-)

It makes carrots into curly disc spirals, but I want to make the angel hair stuff... do I need to precut the courgettes beforehand?

I would love to see a picture or video to how these things work!

< think I put my brain through the spiral slicer first winking smiley

Posted by: arie ()
Date: June 18, 2007 03:48PM

Pst... what models do you all have that work well, and are pretty easy to figure out?

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: June 20, 2007 04:14PM

i made some zuccini noodles today, and most days, very yummy, but I don't use my spiral slicer for anything else.

A mandolin does exactly the same thing, except shorter noodles, and more dangerous, although I used to use a padded oven mit when slicing...!

So what is your fav sauce for the noodles?

mine is:

1 carrot
1 celery stick
1 tomato
2 cloves garlic
parsley
dried mixed herbs
6 sundried tomotoes, or more
1 teaspoon miso or shoyu (optional)
cayenne
a little water to get it blending
variations:
anything else you like: mushrooms, sprinkle sprouts on top etc

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: June 21, 2007 07:25AM

<Droooool> that sauce sounded nice!

I finally worked out how to make angel hair pasta with my saladacco! Yay!

I made my sauce from sundried tomatoes, a fresh tomato and a couple of olives.

It all looked so pretty I *almost* couldn't bring myself to eat it smiling smiley

Date: July 11, 2007 09:31PM

Gosh, about 2 months ago I bought a peeler and on the opposite side a spaggetti slicer. but it is a lot of work. I thought it would work just as good as a spiral slicer, but after reading this thread, I know I'll order one! Glad I read this! I'm always making squash or zucchini spaggetti! Exactly like Earthangle said!

Posted by: Azure-Mermaid ()
Date: August 27, 2007 08:30PM

OK, this thread inspired me to order a Saladacco today! Yippee! I can hardly wait to have me some raw zucghetti!!! :-D

Posted by: nannie11 ()
Date: August 31, 2007 01:49AM

I have had mine for about 3 to 4 weeks and I am so totally frustrated as I have not been able to make angle hair pasta at all. All I get is a bunch of scallop like ribbon that keeps breaking when I try to pull it apart. I am so disappointed in this thing as I love pasta and I love zuccini. I thought this was going to be the answer to my love of pasta. Can anyone tell me what is the trick to making this machine work?

Posted by: strangeseraph ()
Date: September 25, 2007 08:42PM

Ahhh, I can't wait to get my hands on one of these! I've been googling them and looking for topics in forums about them. I'm nuts! XD I can't wait!

I want to make cucumber spaghetti. :3 Fwee!

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: September 26, 2007 07:22PM

You might check out the one on the raw gourmet's website [www.rawgourmet.com].

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables