Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

nut cheese
Posted by: quietgrrrl ()
Date: May 13, 2007 02:22AM

Hello,

I'm attempting to make nut cheese using the recipe in Living Cuisine. The cashew, miso, and water mixture has been sitting in a cupboard that I thought I was warm for about 8 hours. It's not separating and it's not expanding very much, which Loux said it would.

Does the whey necessarily need to separate from the curds before pressing to make the cheese edible? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: nut cheese
Posted by: arie ()
Date: May 15, 2007 06:39PM

I'm not sure about the recipe you used, but here's how I make nut cheese: Soak a few handfuls of nuts (I do sunflower seeds) in water overnight, then rinse and grind up in a food processor. Add a few spoonfuls of rejuvelac, mix, and press down into a container (bowl, tupperware, etc). Cover with cheesecloth, and let sit for about eight hours. My mixtures are pretty dry, so there is no liquid seperating from solids, but it starts to smell fermented, and has a bleu-cheese-ey taste to it. Sometimes there's mold on the top, but I always eat that part too.

Arie (^_^)

Re: nut cheese
Posted by: cy ()
Date: May 18, 2007 04:35AM

I make my cheese with almonds without skin,white, 1 C of almonds, 1/2 C rejuvelac or water and blend it. It had to sit overnight inside of a plastic container that has some holes on it and a cheesecloth. In the morning it is ready and dry.All the water is out,and it's delicious. You can put some celtic sea salt,any herb on it and eat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables