Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Irish Moss Recipe
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 24, 2007 12:00AM

Does anyone have a recipe for preparing Irish Moss? I've soaked it, cleaned it and then added water to the Irish Moss with water. It's sort of funky and brownish in color. I've seen prepared Irish moss that's clear, gel like and doesn't really have a taste and odor.

Thanks for your help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Irish Moss Recipe
Date: August 17, 2007 11:45PM

Me, too! I bought a book of recipes from Cafe Gratitude and wanted to make the chocolate mousse. According to the picture, irish moss should be whitish clear and gel like. The ones I ordered from the Internet is brown and resembles dried seaweed. I tried soaking it before making the mousse but it didn't thicken.

Sigh.

Date: September 08, 2007 03:35AM

I was just at my Life Food store (Jubb's Longevity in New York City) and they sell Irish Moss in a package that isthe dried seaweed type as you described. They were giving me VERY involved instructions about how to clean and prepare it, and then they offered me the gel which they sell already prepared. So that is what I bought (and then I just let their instruction flow out of my mind, because I much prefer to buy the prepared variety and leave the work in their capable hands) I have been using it very easily and with much success. I make wonderful fruity parfaits that I have for breakfast and that my children love. I don't know if irish moss gel travels well (though I would imagine not). Anyway you can call them at 212-353-3000 and find out.

Date: May 11, 2008 01:04AM

This is straight out of the Living Tree Community Foods Website.

[www.livingtreecommunity.com]

It takes some TLC to prepare the Irish Moss to use raw, about 36 hours' worth. But well worth it! Handling, and recipes below. I am currently experimenting with coconut cream pie using Irish Moss. If it turns out, I'll share. Best of luck!

Irish Moss

Irish Moss will make any liquid fluffy and is a substitute for gelatin and other thickeners. You may use it for sweet deserts, ice-creams, shakes, parfaits, mousse, pies, as well as savory dishes, nut cheese and nut "yogurt ".

How to prepare Irish Moss:
Place a handful, or all of your Irish Moss into a tall container. Rinse well 3 or 4 times and let soak up to 36 hours in the fridge. Change the water at least twice a day. Before use rinse again and check on hidden sand, small stones or other impurities. If you do not have enough time you may soak the Irish Moss in lukewarm water for a few hours only. However, you should rinse it numerous times until you've gotten it really clean. Also, when you soak the Moss in warm water it will lessen a little of its gelatinous effect and you should use a little more in your recipe.
The Moss is ready when it has a creamy white color and nearly double size and weight than in its dry original state.

How to use Irish Moss:
According to your recipe blend the Irish Moss and water together until it is well broken down and very creamy. Before adding other ingredients, make sure that you blend all chunks of the moss which might kept sticking on the lid and walls of the blender.

How to store Irish Moss:
Dry Irish Moss can stay up to a year in a cool dry place, as the salt will preserve it.
If you have soaked more Irish Moss than needed you may keep it in the fridge and change the water every few days and it will keep fresh up to 3 weeks. You may also blend the Moss with a little water until you get a thick creamy consistency; store it in a closed glass jar in the fridge for up to 3 weeks (it's nice to have some Irish Moss paste ready in you fridge for spontaneous recipes).

Raw Cacao Mousse:
1 oz soaked Irish Moss
1 cup water
4 cups almond milk
1 cup date paste
1 cup agave nectar
Royal Himalayan Pink Crystal salt
Vanilla
1 cup raw cacao powder
3 TB lecithin
1 cup coconut butter

Blend Irish Moss with water until well broken down. Add the rest of the ingredients except for the lecithin and coconut butter. Blend until well incorporated, then add slowly the butter and lecithin. Keep blending until the mixture is totally smooth. Pour into individual cups and set in freezer for about an hour or until the middle feels slightly firm to the touch. Top with your favorite berries (we love cherries or raspberries), cacao nibs or Meringue. This recipe makes about a dozen servings.

Meringue:
1 oz Irish Moss
1 cup water
2 cups coconut milk
1 cup coconut meat
1 cup soaked cashews
6 TB agave nectar
Royal Himalayan Pink Crystal salt
Seeds from 1 vanilla bean
1 cup coconut butter

Blend Irish Moss and water until the moss is broken down well. Add rest of ingredients except the coconut oil, drop the oil at the end into the smooth mixture. Top mousse, or fruits and put about 1 hour into the fridge to get solid.
This Meringue can also be a basic for a savory dish: replace vanilla and agave with chopped fresh herbs, optional lemon juice, optional salt, increase coconut meat and/or cashews to get a cream-cheese like texture.
(The original recipe and more delicious dessert ideas are found in the amazing book " I am Grateful " by Terces Engelhart)

Vanilla Ice Cream:
2 cups soaked almonds
3 cups of water
1 cup coconut oil
1 cup soaked Irish Moss
1 cup agave nectar
Seeds from 2 vanilla beans
1 tsp vanilla powder
3 pinches of Royal Himalayan Pink Crystal salt

Blend almonds and water to milk, strain and keep the pulp for another recipe. Blend 1 cup of almond milk with the Irish Moss until completely smooth. Add all other ingredients, last add coconut oil slowly. Pour into a freezable container and freeze overnight. When ready, scoop and enjoy with fruits, raspberry sauce, raw chocolate sauce or make variations of the ice cream:

add 1 cup cacao powder, orange zest and 1 cup agave nectar for a heavenly chocolate ice cream
add 1 cup of minced mint leaves with 1 cacao nibs after blending
add 1 cup of banana or mango pulp, lower the water by 1 cup
add 2 tbsp Maca powder and replace Agave Nectar with Maple Syrup for a toffee flavored ice cream.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables