Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Packed with raw
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 08, 2007 10:43AM

Anyone have a recipe to make a raw "energy bar" kind of thing. Umm... like I'm going camping for a while, and freshfruits and sallads don't work well in a backback.
So anybody got any good "camping food"? =)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Packed with raw
Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: June 08, 2007 12:15PM

i have purchased raw flax/sesame seed bars before. i will find out the name of them for you if u want to buy them. i got them at an organic market.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 08, 2007 05:36PM

hmm well i would still try an take raw fruits and veggies just stay away from the things that will mush and splat easily when you take that tumble over a root and turn your backpack contents into some sort of apple sauce =)

apples, pears , oranges, bananas are easy to pack
nuts and seeds , easy to pack
carrots, celery, easy to pack

if you have a dehydrator , make a raw zuchini with pasta sauce up dehydrate the whole mess , bag it and when you get to where youre going add warmed water to it and let it soak and rehydrate ..ive done this it comes out like a warm stew ..you cna use boiling water to speed it up but then its not really raw then is it smiling smiley patience is a virtue lol

Here's a raw bar full of nutritious energy for snacks, lunchboxes, picnics, and even dessert!

1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup dried figs
1/2 cup peanut butter, almond butter, or tahini

Place sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, raisins, and figs in food processor with metal blade. Chop until everything is ground together. Add nut or seed butter and mix until combined. Roll mixture into balls or press into 8-inch round cake pan and cut into 1-inch squares. Keep refrigerated.

Makes about 3 dozen

Note: Nuts can be substituted for seeds and other dried fruit can be substituted for raisins and figs.

Variation:
Coconut Energy Bars: Add 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut to mixture. Add a little coconut milk if necessary to help balls hold together.
or cacoa if you like .. smiling smiley
i add hemp seeds to mine ..and almonds .. sometimes dried cranberries ..mmmm my my the combos are endless

also i prefer the almond butter over peanut butter smiling smiley

make sure you bag things in ziplocks ..dont wanna mess up yer pack winking smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2007 05:37PM by Jgunn.

Date: June 08, 2007 06:15PM

dug these up from my archives lol ..they are very tasty smiling smiley

Chrissy's Goddess Chips

2 bunches kale, broken into large pieces by hand

Dressing:
3/4 c sesame tahini
1/2 c apple cider vinegar
1/2 c water ~ more if needed
1/4 cup fresh parsley
1/4 cup nama shoyu
2 scallions
1 clove garlic
1 lemon, juiced
1/4 t. sea salt

Place kale in a large mixing bowl. Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth to get a thick consistency. You may have to add more water. Pour over kale and mix thoroughly with your hands to coat the kale. You want this mixture to be really glued onto the kale.

Place kale onto a Teflex sheet, on top of a mesh dehydrator screen, and dehydrate for 4 hours @ 110 degrees. You'll need to use two trays. Rotate kale occasionally to dry uniformly.

The first time I made these I stood over the dehydrator and ate the chips right from the Teflex sheet. Enjoy!

In Joy,
Chrissy@RawFoodEnergy.com
www.RawFoodEnergy.com

bagged fajitas, these are great and simple to transport smiling smiley

How To Make Raw Fajitas

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CORN TORTILLA
2 cups Yellow Pepper (I just blended 2 big yellow peppers)
5 Cups Frozen Corn (THAWED)
2 Medium Zuccini
2 Tsp Nutritional Yeast
1 Tbsp Onion Powder
1 Avocado
3 Tbsp Psyllium
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1/2 Tsp Sea Salt

Blend everything but the Avocado, then cream the avocado in last.
Quickly, so the psyllium doesn't thicken too much (I did not rush and had no problem), pour 1/2 to 2/3 cup circles on Dehydrator Sheet, 4 per tray. I spaced them out, then kind of "shook" the tray to spread them. I used a spoon/knife to do the rest.....

Dehydrate them like 4 hours ONLY, then flip. They will appear to be too soft and even so thin they are cracking in places. But peel the teflex off gently and then, like with the enchiladas, then use a knife to "spackle" them back together. Dehydrate like 2.5 more hours or so and they are GOOD TO GO. These buggers are STRONG. Carmella gets a kiss when I ever meet her for sharing this gem of an idea. Muah!

FILLING:
Marinade Portabella strips, red onion strips, and bell pepper strips in a lot of olive oil (I saved the bag), some Braggs (if you use it), a bit of sea salt (more if you use no Braggs) and like 3 Tbsp Taco Seasoning and a TON of Cumin. I didn't use enough, then added like another 1/2 cup (Note: I used 1 1b ginormous red onion, 3 sizeable portabellas, and 1 giant pepper. It made enough for like 10 FAT, FILLING Fajitas. I probably used 1.5 cups olive oil, then squeezed out the filling later (they shrink in the oil). MARINADE TO YOUR LIKING, BUT DEFINITELY GO HEAVY ON THE CUMIN AS THAT IS YOUR FAJITA TASTE. :-)

SOUR CREAM
- see other post as far as my adventures in sour creaming goes -
The SHORT story is:
Cream some cashews with water until sour cream consistency (a thin paste). Whip them good. Then, leave out overnight (I blared my heat as otherwise my apt is like a warmer fridge, meaning it's chilly but bearable). 2 nights would have made it perfect. After 1 night, I basically added the juice of 1 lemon and it was PERFECT. OMG! Heavenly and nobody would guess it wasn't it's evil storebought twin.

this one ive taken camping before .. just bag up the filling and wraps in seperate bags to assemble later ..OR make the wraps and bag an eatem smiling smiley

Vietnamese Spring Rolls with spicy citrus dipping sauce
By Vanessa Sherwood
Posted on GLiving GreenChefs

If you don’t feel like making the coconut ‘rice’ wrappers, you can either use the lettuce as a wrapper, or just use regular store bought rice wrappers that you’ll find in the Asian section of most grocery stores.

Coconut ‘rice’ Wrappers
1 Cup Young Coconut Meat
1/2 Cup Coconut Water
1/4 Cup Flax Meal (Optional)
Pinch of Salt

Filling:
Butter Lettuce
Cucumber, thinly sliced
Scallions, thinly sliced lengthwise
Bean Sprouts
Star Fruit, thinly sliced
Basil
Cilantro
Mint Leaves

Nuoc Cham (spicy citrus dipping sauce):
Lime, Juiced
1 1/2 Tablespoon Nama Shoyu
3 Tablespoons Water
1 Serrano Chili, minced
1-2 Cloves Garlic, minced
2 Teaspoons Agave
1/4 Teaspoon Salt

For the Coconut ‘rice’ Wrappers:
In a Vita Mix or high speed blender, blend everything until completely smooth. Now comes the tricky bit. You should be able to make four wrappers on each teflex lined tray of your dehydrator, unless you want to make one huge wrapper on each tray- it’s your choice. Pour out 2-4 tablespoons of the coconut custard and spread out thin with a spoon or spreader/spatula. Dehydrate at 105- 110 degrees until completely dry, 6-12 hours. When they are done, you will be able to peel them off of the teflex sheet.

For the Filling:
There are no rules here. You can put whatever you want in the wrappers.

Fill the coconut wrappers with the veggies. If you are using the coconut wrappers, be warned that they will get soggy quite quickly. It’s best to roll them as you are eating them. If you are using the lettuce as your wrapper, it won’t be an issue.

For the Nuoc Cham (spicy citrus dipping sauce):
Whisk all the ingredients together. This is your dipping sauce.

Date: June 08, 2007 06:26PM

if yer into some pre-sprouting/soaking therse are pretty good ..again i add my own hemp seeds to it, other dried fruits ..possibilies are endless ..if you want you can add some supergreen powder or other superfood supplements to give em a boost smiling smiley

High Energy Bars

1 C barley, soaked 3 days
2 C soft wheat, sprouted 1 day
3/4 C dates
3 T raw honey
1 t cinnamon
1 t vanilla
1 C walnuts, soaked, chopped
1/2 C almonds, soaked, chopped

Process barley, wheat, dates, in a champion juicer using the solid plate. Add honey, cinnamon, vanilla, walnuts, almonds and mix well. Form into bars and place on a teflex sheet in the dehydrator for 6-8 hours, depending on the desired moisture and size. Be sure to remove the teflex sheet and turn bars over half way through.

these are good too smiling smiley

Yummy Coconut Date Rolls!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About 2 c dates coarsely chopped
1 c pecans
1/2 c cashews
1 tbls honey
1 tsp cinnamon
grated coconut

Process nuts first until they are crumbly in texture and set aside. Process dates and if they are too tough, add a little bit of water to help loosen the fibres. Add the honey and process until dates are chunky. Add the nuts and cinnamon and blend together until it is the consistency of a sticky cookie dough. Put the coconut in a bowl and take about 1-2 tbsp worth of the mixture and roll it into the coconuts. Repeat until mix is used up. I put mine in the fridge over night and they were scrumptious in the morning!

This is a super easy recipe and it is super yummy! Tastes a bit like pecan pie! It also is very filling and a wonderful way to get some quick energy!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables