Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Alternative for using Champion juicer blank plate
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 09, 2007 08:43PM

Hi,

I noticed that a lot of recipes on this site require the use of the blank plate on the Champion juicer. For example, the Raw Salmon Pate recipe says "run the almonds and carrots through a Champion juicer, using the "blank" plate to make a smooth pate."

What should I do if I don't have a Champion or similiar type juicer? I just have a Breville which I'm sure won't take almonds.

Thanks!
Vasana

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alternative for using Champion juicer blank plate
Posted by: Bikini ()
Date: June 10, 2007 01:02AM

Vasana,

Depending on the recipe you are trying to create, you can often use a food processor and grind your food really well with it instead of using a Champion with the blank. The texture will not be the same as with a Champion, but it will be similar and you will get a close enough mouth-feel though not as creamy.
The Champion blank is irreplaceable however when trying to make raw
ice-creams. There is no other gadget or machine other than an a real ice-cream machine that will create the texture for raw ice-cream like a Champion blank can. smiling smiley

i breathe in
i breathe out
peace
love
joy
Bikini

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 12, 2007 12:34AM

Thank you so much for your help Bikini!

Posted by: the enchantress ()
Date: June 12, 2007 01:59PM

I just found out that you can, apparently, use a regular centrifugal juicer (like a Breville, or a Waring Pro) to make raw ice cream! I was told that you shove the frozen fruit in there just like you would for juice, but instead of juice coming out the spout, the ice cream just collects in the part where the pulp does and you scrape it out of there. I haven;t tried it yet, but I highly intend to!

Posted by: Bikini ()
Date: June 12, 2007 02:14PM

fyi....
if you are interested in making a raw fruit "ice cream" with a texture like a creamy sorbet, I have had success using a food processor when I was too tired to be bothered with my Champion.

To start, you place solidly frozen fruits into your food processor like bananas or blueberries and grind away. Slowly drizzle in a few tablespoons of water a little at a time till the frozen fruit starts to "catch" and churns around looking creamy. If the fruits I'm using are tart, like strawberries or blueberries, I will often drizzle in a bit of non-alcohol vanilla extract for sweetness and brightness of flavor while the machine is still churning away.
I think the vanilla really perks up the flavors of the fruit. You can also add a dash of stevia or agave if you like.

Your resulting mixture should resemble a creamy fruit sorbet in texture and taste. It's tricky at first trying to get the right ratio of water to frozen fruit as you don't want the mixture too watery and getting defrosted, or too hard and chunky and imppossible to enjoy. With a little playing around, I'm sure you'll get it tasting great.

If you own a Vita-Mix, it can be done pretty much the same way.

i breathe in
i breathe out
peace
courage
joy
Bikini

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables