Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw Sweet and Sour?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 28, 2007 04:26PM

I have a feeling there's no possible way to do this raw...but I thought I might ask well ask. I love sweet and sour chicken, it's nearly taken me off being a veggie on many occasions. I am hoping there is a way to make something that has a simular addictiveness to it. I think if I found the right oil, and sliced the right veg real thin and wrapped it around the right filling with the right spices and dehydrated it, it could work. The inside always had a slight goo texture anyway, the outside just needs to be crisp and have an oil texture.

If it never turns out even close to Sweet and Sour chicken...im hoping it might at least be a good treat that could curve the cravings!

And of course on the side, fried rice! Is rice raw? If so, coulden't I just soak it for a good while vs. boiling, then soak in a raw marinade for flavor, and dehydrate as well to give even a slightly "fried" texture?

Ah the things we folks in transition do!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw Sweet and Sour?
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 29, 2007 04:27AM

Sweet and Sour

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup shoyu
5 tablespoons honey or agave
1 teaspoon garlic powder(or chop a small garlic clove)
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
1/8 teaspoon cayenne (i dont use but its your choice)
Makes about 1-1/4 cup
Place all the ingredients in a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake to combine.

coat any sorts of raw veggies in it to marinade .. broccoli, cauliflower, zuchini chunks, snow peas, mushrooms (especially shitake for that *meaty* taste*) , garnish with chunks of pineapple (toss a little juice in too if you want), and chopped cherries for a taste fiesta

to get over the chicken part ..id suggest visiting this link called meet your meat [www.petatv.com] or hang around a slaughter house for a day

unless your doing this for health reasons (being vegan) smiling smiley

i find the above quite tasty smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2007 04:33AM by Jgunn.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 29, 2007 05:44PM

Hey thanks for the recipe!

Ive been a veggie for 4 months now, but not because of PETA. Don't believe in PETA. I believe in not eating animals, but I don't believe in PETA.

But that aside! ... been doing some research on what that crispy batter is on the outside, and got some ideas. What if I made a batter from dehydrated corn ground into a fine powder, some almond milk, and a seed oil (would need to experiment) to replace the egg as a binder. Dip perhaps walnut and mushroom blended together into a gooey ball, and give that a dehydrating!

Would need to experiment with all that, no guarentee the "batter" on the outside would gain a crispy texture...though it could if it we're thin!

To be honest, this recipe in development is sounding pretty good, even if it never turns out anything like sweet and sour chicken! haha.

Date: June 29, 2007 06:21PM

maybe try coconut oil ..its pretty thick an gooey egglike .. definitely dont want a thin oil ..id skip the milk as it might make it too thin or use just a little

maybe try making a vegan type wonton filling , chopped shitake couple water chesnuts andsome walnuts like you say .. i think that would give you a meaty type center ..maybe pinch of garlic powder ... the cornmael powder should give you a coating type .. maybe do a blend of fine and coarsse for the crunchyness smiling smiley

i dont support peta either but they have good vids smiling smiley so many people have no idea where their food comes from past the brown wrapper or celephane cover smiling smiley

also whatever oil you use for the mockchicken id use in the sauce or you might find a weird taste imbalancing ... smiling smiley its not crucial to use olive oil its just what ive used smiling smiley ..coconut oil or almond oil seems more feistive smiling smiley

Date: June 29, 2007 06:24PM

i found this receipe for vegan mock chicken maybe you can addapt from this for the filling

Beer, Wine & Spirits

Dogs
Total points: 6,014 (Level 5)
Points earned this week:
--% Best answer

sandeep k
0 Best Answer - Chosen By Voters

Mock Chicken

Ingredients:

1 lb. firm tofu (freeze, then thaw in refrigerator, then steam over water for a few minutes which will give the tofu a chewy texture). When cool, squeeze out as much water as you can and crumble into small pieces.
1/3 cup minced red onion
1 large rib of minced celery
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon minced parsley
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon ground thyme
¼ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup veganaise, or nayonaise
Directions:
Mix all the above ingredients together in a bowl.
Chill and serve.
Suggestions: Use as a sandwich filling, on crackers or tortilla chips, on salad, or to stuff a tomato.
gs

Date: June 29, 2007 06:26PM

or from this but its not raw (baked) but maybe you dehydrate smiling smiley

Breaded Tofu Nuggets
From Jolinda Hackett,
Your Guide to Vegetarian Cuisine.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!
Kid-friendly tofu nuggets are reminiscent of chicken nuggets and can be dipped in ketchup, barbeque sauce or ranch dressing.
INGREDIENTS:
1 block firm or extra-firm tofu, pressed
1/3 cup soymilk
2 tbsp mustard
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried parsley (optional)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
3/4 cup bread crumbs
PREPARATION:
Whisk together the soymilk, mustard, nutritional yeast and spices until smooth in a wide bowl. Place bread crumbs in a separate bowl.
Coat each piece of tofu with soymilk and mustard mixture first, then coat with bread crumbs.

Sponsored Links
Tofu Recipes
Find The Top Tofu Recipes. Fast & Easy
www.recipestofu.info

Tofu Recipe
The Top Tofu Recipe. Fast & Easy.
www.TastyRecipe.info

Vegetarian Tofu Recipes
Incredibly low prices! Find great offers and save up to amazing 75%.
www.Best-Price.com/Vegetarian
Fry in oil until golden brown, serve with ketchup, barbeque sauce or other dipping sauce and enjoy!
For a lower fat alternative, lay tofu piece on a covered baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, turning once, until golden brown.

Date: June 29, 2007 06:31PM

Mock Chicken Patties

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

1 cup water
1-14 oz block of Azumaya Tofu - firm (this is not a silken tofu)
4 tablespoon chicken style seasoning
1 tablespoon beef style seasoning
1 cup finely chopped raw cashews
3 cups regular rolled oats
1 medium minced onion
1 cup finely chopped celery

Date: June 29, 2007 06:34PM

if any of your liquids get to thin .. a pinch of cornstarch can thicken things up too smiling smiley

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: July 02, 2007 10:27PM

Alyssa Cohen's book has some mock chicken fingers that are pretty good at fooling you. They are made with sprouts. You could just dip them in the sauce posted above.

Posted by: zenpawn ()
Date: July 05, 2007 02:04AM

Jgunn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> or from this but its not raw (baked) but maybe you dehydrate smiling smiley

Nevertheless, even uncooked tofu is not raw as it is made
from cooked soybeans (well, the "milk" from such anyway).

-Erin
Raw Done Light
dogma-free RAW
Gazpacho For The Soul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables