Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

to make a recipe
Posted by: allone01 ()
Date: August 12, 2007 08:17PM

hey everyone!
I'm goig\ng to a raw potluck this tuesday and I'm trying to stay on a budget of mostly the things I alread have. If anyone has any ideas of a recipe, or something you guys could conjur up with the ingredients listed below please send them my way!
or if you have any excellent fairly inexpensive recipes that you would recomend for a a potluck I would love to try and make them. keeping it low on nuts is the best way i know to keep it cheap if you can! thanks anyone!

i have:
billions of tomatos
llemons
cantelope
cherries
flax seeds
almond butter
celery
garlic
fresh parsely, basil, rosemary, chives, spearmint, choc.mint
green onions and white
okra
cucumbers
green peppers
corn
2 carrots
eggplants
tahini
wakame
yellow and zuchinni squash
watermelon
pumpkin seeds
mango
dehydrated tomatos

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: to make a recipe
Posted by: frances ()
Date: August 13, 2007 04:12PM

What kind of equipment do you have? With the things you listed you could make a kick-ass gazpacho soup, but soups are usually inconvenient for potlucks. Do you have a mandolin slicer or a dehydrator?

Posted by: lovebird ()
Date: August 13, 2007 09:11PM

I go to a lot of potlucks with people that are not raw foodists, so I like to bring food that is raw vegan, but not too weird. I tend to keep it simple, also. I have brought a 1/2 watermelon from the farmer's market and that was popular, and no work on my part! And a couple of times I made raw vegan coleslaw. I do not see cabbage on your list but I will tell you how I made it. Besides slicing the cabbage and adding various chopped vegies, like carrot, apple, green pepper, .... I chopped some soaked almonds and placed them in a little pile on top and threw on a few blueberries and some home-dried slices of tomatoes. Those things were just to add variety and color, and to slowly introduce some less familiar ingredients. The sauce was made of cashew milk that I always have on hand, minced garlic, apple cider vinegar and olive oil. You can add other spices, and adding a little brewers yeast gives a buttery flavor.
Another idea looking at your list, is to chop tomatoes in large chunks. Do the same with your cucumbers and slice the green peppers. Then toss in some of your fresh herbs like parsley, basil, chives and some of the green onions. Toss with oil and vinegar. I like to add large chunks of sweet onion because I do not buy green onions much.

Posted by: perbetty ()
Date: August 14, 2007 01:30AM

Hey Allone:

How about a crudete platter? Here's the dip:

1-2 cloves garlic
Enough tomato for liquid to help it blend
1/2 - 3/4 c Almond butter
juice of 1 or 2 lemon(s)
handful of basil
1/4 c mint leaves (either type)
2 stalks of green onion
mango to sweeten (unless you have a better sweetener)
tajini to taste

Blend all ingredients in your blender. Taste and adjust flavors. When you put it in its serving bowl, sprinkle chopped chives over the top, then garnish with mint.

For the crudete platter,
Celery: slice it lengthwise at least twice, then leave long or cut in halves
Green onions: cut them in half
Cucumbers: Alt. 1 is to peel them leaving stripes, then slice into rounds; Alt. 2 is to cut them lengthwise into 6ths, then cut in half
Green peppers: Slice lenthwise; remove seeds and de-vein (cut out the white stuff)
Carrots (2 is the exact right number): Cut lengthwise into 6ths-8ths, leave long or cut in half
Yellow and zuchinni squash: Cut into 6ths-8ths and leave long or cut in half
Corn: slice into 1-2" rounds

Garnish with parsley sprigs and pumpkin seeds.

Have a great time!

Betty

"Don't believe everything you think."

--Bumper Sticker

Date: August 14, 2007 06:11AM

I have a dehydrator, blender, processor, slicer, i guess thats it!

Date: August 14, 2007 06:14AM

excellent Idea! I was thinking just some kind of dip veggies would be nice. thanks for putting together a dip and the time to write it out for me!

Posted by: perbetty ()
Date: August 14, 2007 12:16PM

OOOOOOOOPS!

When you (and I) wrote tahini, I was thinking "tamari"! Make sure you salt it with something--and obviously, tahini won't work for that!

Betty

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables