Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw foods and diabetes
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 14, 2007 04:02PM

I am new to the forum, recently diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, yes, the "juvenile" type at age 53! This is an autoimmune disease, and I also have hypothyroid. I'm thinking eating more raw food is the best way to boost my immune system and give me a shot at halting or even reversing my health problems. I sprout grains and seeds and find that the reduction in carbohydrate makes it possible for me to eat some foods I have been avoiding, which is great. However, I'm noticing that many of the recipes include large amounts of fruit which at this point raises my blood sugar way too much. Mangoes, bananas and pineapple have too much carbohydrate for me to tolerate. Any one else dealing with blood sugar issues and any suggestions for alternatives to fruit in green smoothies and other recipes?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2007 04:04PM by libbymjc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw foods and diabetes
Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: August 15, 2007 08:25AM

I've drunk green smoothies before without adding the fruit and using a fresh juice made from celery and/or carrot for flavour. It's obviously not as nice, but not unpleasant by any means smiling smiley

Also, there are lots of sweet and savoury dishes that don't use fruit. For the ones that you want to try that do, just modify to recipe to suit your tastes. i.e gazpacho- use less tomato, add more greens and herbs. Raw pizza- go easy on the pizza sauce, and top with spinach, sprouts and herbs and a little seed cheese. Raw recipes are so easy to adapt.

Why don't you post a few recipes you like to see what changes people can suggest?

example recipe sites:
this one, obviously smiling smiley
www.goneraw.com
www.therawtable.com
www.fromsadtoraw.com

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables