Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

dehydrating pineapple
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 20, 2007 07:21PM

Hello! I am new to raw and just inherited a dehydrator. When I looked up dehydrating pineapples each website was very different. One said 10 hours one said 12-18. Also how big do the slices need to be? I do not have the luxury to stay at home and watch the dehydrator for 8 hours. Does anyone have any specifics. I am dying for some dehydrated pineapples to munch on if needed. The transition has been a little tricky for me. Any other simple recipes for the dehydrator? Thanks for your help! I am loving the new found energy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dehydrating pineapple
Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: August 20, 2007 07:26PM

The thickness and amount of juice in the fruit as well as the dryness / humidity of the air will determine the time. I would make them as thin as you can slice them and dehydrate them overnight. Then in the morning, flip them over while you are gone to work. I haven't dehydrated a lot, but most things take a minimum of 12 hours but most, more like 24. Fruits have a lot of juice and take longer. I have also turned off the dehydrator if I had to be gone and couldn't "watch" and then resumed it when I came home. It won't hurt to do that.

Date: August 20, 2007 07:55PM

I had no idea I could turn off the dehyrator and come back. That thought never occured to me. First I will try the overnight/work idea, If that doesn't work I will try to turn it off and resume. Thank you so much!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 21, 2007 03:22PM

there are small reasonably inexpensive (like under 10$) timers that you can plug into your wall socket then plug your untimed unit into .. set it on ..and go about your life without stressing over the dehydrator smiling smiley

give your hardware store a call smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: August 22, 2007 04:53PM

Thank you Jodi, I will give it a shot, I have two yummy ripe pineapples. Can't wait!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 22, 2007 05:06PM

sure np ... they work on the concept of a start time and stop time ... so if you have it set for a 6am start time and a 4pm stop time it will run for the 10 hours and stop

if not at a hardware store try at a plant/agriculture place/garden store ... they will definitely have something smiling smiley (but might be a bit more expensive)

still cheaper then losing sleep though right? tongue sticking out smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables