Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

New to RAW - don't have a dehydrator yet - can I use my oven on low??
Posted by: frumpy18 ()
Date: September 17, 2007 09:42PM

I want to make crackers and such - any suggestions? Thx-kelly

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New to RAW - don't have a dehydrator yet - can I use my oven on low??
Posted by: carolg ()
Date: September 18, 2007 03:53PM

If it was me in your situation, I would try the oven, which you have on hand, especially if you can't see buying a dehydrator now. Yes, watch the temperatures--may start around 145 for two hours and then bring it down to 105. I think it was Gabriel Cousins who wrote about temperatures. Maybe others will add their insight. Best to you. I have 9 tray Excalibur and hardly use it now but in the beginning tons. I'm very light on nuts and avocados too. It's your journey--enjoy!

carolg

Posted by: Rawtastic ()
Date: March 23, 2008 05:59PM

Buy a candy thermometer and put it in your oven. Put the oven on its lowest setting and prop the door open a bit. After 15 mins, check the temp. If it's too high, you have to prop the over door open a bit more. Experiment until you know where the door needs to be set for the temp you desire.

Posted by: Itzdavey ()
Date: March 26, 2008 04:25PM

I actually made a dehydrator based on the plans I found here:

[www.alpharubicon.com]

It works ok, but I have a hard time keeping the temparature below 110 - 116.

I probably spent a little over $20, and I ended up buying some of the things twice because I didn't know what I was doing. One thing I did was get a dimmer switch for the lightbulb, but I couldn't get it to work at all. sad smiley

I plan on buying one probably next month or so. There's one for $60. I forget what brand. I have been warned NOT to buy the $40 Ronco dehydrator, just in case you come across that one.

-DaveK

Posted by: sweetpea ()
Date: April 26, 2008 10:53AM

I have a raw food class tomorrow and we're making pizza. i will have to use the oven. I will put it at 145 and put the pizza in for about 1/2 hour and then see how the temperature feels. I may keep the door ajar.

[www.rawlifestyle.co.uk]
Recipes, ebooks, diary

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 11, 2008 01:13AM

Kelly - My dehydrator was in the back of my storage unit for about 6 months and I was stressin' -- then I figured out that my oven goes as low as 125 degrees F. So I heat up, open the door a bit and put in my dish. My oven thermometer says I'm between 105 and 110 so I think I'm good. We do what we can with what we have. I think this is all about being kind to ourselves and others. Best of luck!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables