Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

DEHYDRATING times and tips needed
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 23, 2007 06:44PM

After soaking nuts and seeds, I dehydrate them. I am guessing the time required.
Is there an online source for times and tips?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: DEHYDRATING times and tips needed
Date: October 04, 2007 01:42PM

OK... How about soaking grains. How long to soak quinoa, millet, amaranth? Then how long do I let them germinate?
Thanks

Posted by: veganicity ()
Date: October 05, 2007 04:51PM

Sorry i cant be of any help to you but im new to this dehydrating thing! Really want to find out more though if anyone can help? - your grains question is an interesting one though Glass1050.

Also, how economical in terms of electrical consumption is using a dehydrator? Does it use loads of energy?

best wishes

Date: October 09, 2007 06:04PM

[www.avenaoriginals.com]

[www.sproutpeople.com]

[www.bulkfoods.com]

I know one of these sites will help you out, as for drying nuts, I just keep it in the dehydrator 2 hours and check on it and see if it's dried.

Date: October 15, 2007 10:44PM

Thanks for the replies.

I've found a little more info and experimented a little as well. I'll share what I've learned.

1st, it's not necessary to be sooooo exact with soaking times for seeds, legumes, and nuts. HOWEVER, generally speaking, don't soak anything more than 24 hours and overnight for just about everything is just fine.

If the next step is dehydrating, for instance, garbanzo, buckwheat, nuts and seeds, then rinse thoroughly and put in dehydrator. Crank it on high for 2 hours then back to 105 degrees for the remainder of the cycle.

If the next step after soaking is sprouting, then so so for 48 hours rinsing 3 times a day. Then refrigerate and use within a week.

I experimented with soaking and sprouting quinoa and millet. I found I'm not too crazy about sprouted grains. I figure my 80/20 diet will account for cooking these grains (after soaking and sprouting of course).

I do really like dehydrating Buckwheat and then blending some up with water and pouring it over a bowl of "buckwheaties" with cinnamon and stevia.

I'll post more dehydrating experience when its acquired.

Paul

ps. [www.excaliburdehydrator.com] has some good info. They says it costs about 4-5 cents per hour.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables