Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

can't find fresh coconut at local store? any suggestions?
Posted by: ferdiewen ()
Date: September 28, 2007 05:48AM

I don't see any coconut when I go shop? But some receipt do require coconut water or coconut milk? Anything alternative choice I can replace these items? Also do we need purchse coconut oil too?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: can't find fresh coconut at local store? any suggestions?
Posted by: frances ()
Date: September 28, 2007 04:03PM

I have used plain water in place of coconut water when I had none available. It's not as flavorful and lacks some of the healthful benefits of coconut water, but the recipes have turned out just fine.

Posted by: carolg ()
Date: September 28, 2007 04:08PM

Asian or oriental markets may have Young Coconuts--white outer shell. Inside coconut yummy. I mix with smoothies too or just use the water for smoothies.
carolg

Posted by: gadjoemi ()
Date: October 05, 2007 12:40PM

I have seen young coconuts at Asian stores but I was worried that they traveled so far (I live in the Netherlands) that they might be heavily pesticide-treated or something. So I never bought ones but I do know that some great recipes use young coconut meat. Are they safe?

Posted by: jono ()
Date: October 07, 2007 01:03PM

Most store-bought coconuts are nasty. The young coconuts are dipped in toxic chemicals to prevent mold. The mature coconuts have mold growing between the meat and the thin brown skin that lines the meat. Not many people eat coconuts because they don't know how to open them. Truly fresh coconuts will be hard to find unless you go to Hawaii, Florida, or some other tropical area.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables