Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

No food processor...could I do this instead?
Posted by: Soraya ()
Date: November 20, 2007 01:53AM

Newbie question, here!

I don't have a food processor, and, unless some major miracle happens, I won't have one anytime soon. Though I'm into eating very basic fare and cannot stomach most recipes, there are a couple pumpkin ones that I want to attempt for Thanksgiving. Would grating the pumpkin (instead of processing), then blending it (in my 11 year old Vitamix) with the other ingredients work as well?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: No food processor...could I do this instead?
Posted by: allone01 ()
Date: November 20, 2007 03:03AM

yep, i made a pumpkin pie that way.

Date: November 21, 2007 12:04AM

Thanks for answering; I just needed some confirmation! I don't want to go buy anything fancy if I don't have to at this point - I wouldn't use a processor that often anyway. This is a relief...thank you again, and have a great Thanksgiving!!!

Posted by: Avocadess ()
Date: December 15, 2007 04:36PM

I just found out something really wonderful at a raw food prep class I went to the other night: The "Big Mouth" Food Processor by Hamilton Beach is as good and in some ways actually BETTER than a $250 Cuisinart or KitchenAide! It's only $50-$75 and you can get them on Amazon.com. I used it in the class and it really works great and is 11-cup or 14-cup capacity. Awesome!

Posted by: ksandberg2002 ()
Date: December 27, 2007 02:27PM

Hey everyone I hate to ask such a beginner question but what all do you use a food processor for? Could you use it to make soups AND smoothies with it if you don't own a good blender?

THANKS!!!

Date: December 28, 2007 07:41PM

Not a silly question at all! Use a food processor to chop or grind things like nuts, veggies for salad or salsa, things like that. I've never tried doing soups or smoothies, though...I use my Vitamix for that. Even a decent enough blender can handle smoothies, though; I used a fairly inexpensive one that was around the house to make my green smoothies (with kale, which is a little tough) until I saved up enough money to get my Vitamix's blades changed...

Posted by: LaPieta ()
Date: January 26, 2008 08:00PM

I have the opposite question...couldn't the vitamix or other good blender handle the chopping or grinding of nuts and veggies, etc that you would normally do in a food processor? Why do you use a food processor for chopping and not the vitamix? I'm new to this and trying to figure out what I need to buy. Thanks for any info.

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: January 29, 2008 05:52PM

Blenders need some liquid--the Vitamix doesn't need as much as the cheapies, but it still needs some.

Food processors don't work well with liquid--everything kind of goes under the blades. They are better for solid things, nothing more liquidy than a pudding (they do make puddings well).

They are two different things.

Posted by: LaPieta ()
Date: January 31, 2008 02:09AM

Thanks Rost0037! That clears that up. What about the Vitamix dry container - I expect that is only for grinding dry things like nuts and grains? It wouldn't need liquid or would it? Would a food processor work better for those things than the vitamix dry container?

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: February 07, 2008 07:09PM

You can't afford a FP? Reallymoody smiley Aren't they like 12-20 bucks?

Date: February 07, 2008 11:37PM

You can acquire a small hand chopper for $10 to $20 but an actual Food Processor will typically run you anywhere from $55 to up to $200. There are some that are much expensive than $200 but you tend to find those more in professional kitchens.

I have a 4 cup Cuisinart that I believe cost about $70 or so...

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables