Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

how to store veggies/leafy greens properly?
Posted by: Mauigirl206 ()
Date: February 14, 2008 05:24AM

Aloha smiling smiley

I would love some feedback/helpful advice on solutions to help keep my produce lasting longer.
* what should & should not go in the fridge/freezer (nuts, seeds etc)
* what should & should not be put/stored close together or in containers (apples, bananas etc)
* how to keep my leafy greans to stay fresh longer (wash/prep, bags w/ holes, containers, loose, etc)
* are there some good containers out there someone found? smiling smiley

any creative ideas would be much appreciated..

We all know a raw/organic lifestyle isn't cheap, and our food can go bad fast

smiling smiley thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how to store veggies/leafy greens properly?
Posted by: frances ()
Date: February 14, 2008 05:06PM

Most vegetables can be damaged by the defroster in most modern refrigerators. The defroster prevents frost by limiting the air moisture in the fridge. This action can quickly wilt green leaves of all kinds, celery, and carrots. If you have crisper drawers that are actually airtight their contents are protected. Anything else in a relatively airtight container (even a plastic bag) will be protected. My crisper drawers are broken and don't provide much protection, so I dampen a towel and drape it across the contents of the drawer before closing it. Every day or two the towels need re-dampening.

Most fruits seem to be much less vulnerable to dehydrating.

Posted by: frances ()
Date: February 14, 2008 08:58PM

Also... most nuts will benefit from refrigeration, but people differ about that. If you have the room, why not?

I've heard that apples give off a chemical that can speed the aging of carrots. I haven't experienced this myself, but as I said above carrots are prone to dehydrate and get floppy in the fridge if not sealed up, so I always keep mine in plastic bags.

I never refrigerate bananas, unripe fruits or tomatoes. (Well, if they look like they might spoil I will put tomatoes in the fridge.)

Greens will spoil faster if they're stored too wet. (Just as they will if you allow the fridge to dry them out.) You can dry them in a salad spinner or with a towel, but even then they may have enough liquid to trickle to the bottom of the container and start to rot at the bottom. If you feel that your greens are moist you can put a dry towel in the container under all the greens. If you buy greens in non-commercial bags (like at a farmers market) be sure to check the greens before putting them in the fridge. Farmers sometimes bag up greens right after washing and there may be too much water in there.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 23, 2008 01:00AM

I use special containers for all of my produce. Some of them are tupperware made special for produce, and recently I purchased some on QVC <[www.qvc.com];

They claim that produce should not be kept in plastic bags due to the interaction of the bags with the naturally produced ethylene gas that produce gives off. I have found also that produce tends to get slimey or moldy fast in plastic bags.

I have been using these containers for about two weeks now and am very satisfied with them.

The other thing I like is a special green bag I got some time ago, that is supposed to do the same thing as these containers. I mainly keep my bananas in them and them seem to last longer.

Posted by: jamielor ()
Date: February 23, 2008 06:21AM

My greens stay fresh and crisp longer in Evert Fresh bags:
[www.amazon.com]

They really do work!

Posted by: Mauigirl206 ()
Date: February 24, 2008 08:27PM

Thank you! smiling smiley

i'm gonna check out the websites i've been given on here..
and everyones advice has been MUCH appreciated!

keep me posted if you find out anything else..smiling smiley

Happy storing!
Jenna

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables