Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw nut butters
Posted by: sapphire33 ()
Date: March 07, 2008 11:51PM

Does anyone have suggestions as to how I make raw nut butters? Ok...so there are nuts..LOL...I got that far!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw nut butters
Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 10, 2008 02:06PM

Grind in powerful blender for food processor for a LONG time, until the oils start to release. When you get tired of this, add oil/water so it sticks. It won't be as creamy as commercial.

Posted by: Avocadess ()
Date: March 10, 2008 02:48PM

I make nutbutters with my Cuisinart, but always end up adding some oil. And rost0037 is right, it's not as creamy, but that's cool with me.

I process the nuts dry for a long time, then turn off the food processor to let it cool down for about 30 minutes, then process again, and so on, or add some oil to shorten the process too. I have never not added oil however.

Date: March 10, 2008 05:26PM

Avocadess, you never add oil? Is water enough to keep it's consistence? I don't mind if it is not creamy..I am used to that! If I don't have to add so much oil, that is ok with me! smiling smiley

Posted by: Avocadess ()
Date: March 11, 2008 10:03PM

Haha, no. I add oil. I have never NOT added oil. (A double negative there, sorry!)

People with true nut grinders don't have to add oil; I do.

Posted by: baltochef ()
Date: March 12, 2008 08:46PM

The homogenizing plates of a twin-screw juicer will make nut butters without needing to add additional oil..

Food processors & blenders require oil so as to allow the mixture to move around in order to achieve a relatively smooth consistency..

Commercial butters are made by squeezing the nuts through huge rollers that are brought further & further together as the mixture breaks down into finer particles..

Heat is generated in all of these processes..It's a matter of physics & cannot be avoided..I do not own a twin-screw juicer..I've tasted nut butters made by someone who does, & these butters are smoother than anything I am able to produce in a food processor, or blender..

Nut butters should be consumed as quickly as possible after making them..The oils in the nuts start to oxidize & turn rancid as soon as they are exposed to oxygen..The freshest nuts should be used for nut butters..If the nuts smell stale, then the resultant nut butter will also taste stale and oxidize even more quickly than normal..I do not care for the taste of the butters after they have been refrigerated..

I have the Vac Sy Standard Set of vacuum sealing glass containers..I use the smaller of the Universal Lids to seal some of the butter in a 16 oz. square-shouldered glass jar..The balance I freeze with a layer of oil over the top of the butter, or give away to someone else..

It's hard to make small quantities in a food processor, as a certain amount of product is necessary in order for the steel blades to have enough of the mixture in the bowl in order to efficiently slice the nuts into smaller & smaller pieces..

Bruce

Date: March 13, 2008 02:54AM

I am wondering if it's true I can use my champion to make raw nut butters? I have the blank plate that is recomended for it... I have never tried it...Hmnghghn!?!? Raw macadamia/pecan butter?!?!

Date: March 14, 2008 07:52PM

Thanks a lot for everyone's advice! I will play around and see what happens smiling smiley

Posted by: Itzdavey ()
Date: March 17, 2008 05:44PM

Somebody here recommended a snack made from nuts ground together with dates. I did this in my food processor with soaked nuts. No oil or anything. The stuff it made was GOOD. I don't know if it'd qualify as "butter" but it was spreadable! I put it on celery and it was fantastic.

Posted by: baltochef ()
Date: March 17, 2008 06:16PM

Soaking nuts for the recommended times for making nut milks will allow the nuts to much more easily be processed into a butter in a food processor..The resultant nut butter WILL taste slightly different from one made w/o soaking the nuts..The nut butter made with soaked nuts in a food processor will still NOT be as smooth as the ones made in a twin-screw juicer with the homogenizing plates installed..It should be noted that several passes through the juicer will be required in order to acheive the type of smooth consistency that commercial butters have..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables