Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Recovering from surgery and craving cooked foods
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 20, 2007 09:09PM

Hello everyone. My wife just came home from an emergency leg surgery that left her in a lot of pain and had her in the hospital for 4 days. Her Percocet (which we are trying to minimize her intake of) is making her nauseous and constipated and she has barely eaten anything for two weeks (she was feeling sick before her accident). She's been 100% raw about 5 months and is a firm believer in raw foodism and knows that she must eat for her body to have the calories, protein, calcium and other nutrients it needs to recuperate. The problem is that she's having a really hard time eating anything and the only thing she's craving is cooked foods. She's scared to eat cooked foods as when she was raw before and ate some cooked foods she got very sick. So, even if she were to have some broth, etc she would want to do so as safely as possible.

Ideas, suggestions, anecdotes, etc that could help her would be very, very appreciated. Thanks! smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recovering from surgery and craving cooked foods
Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: October 20, 2007 11:52PM

You may want to repost this in the main forum since more people visit that one than the others.

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: October 21, 2007 12:41AM

I agree, post on the Living and Raw Foods Discussion (Vegan) forum and you should get lots of suggestions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2007 12:42AM by karennd.

Posted by: ani{: ()
Date: November 01, 2007 03:01AM

I just had a big craving too for cooked foods. I've been eating about 3-4 cooked meals for the past 2 months, but I'm trying to cut back. I just made my husband (a carnivorous non-raw fooder) regular cooked ravioli with spaghetti sauce (I love spaghetti sauce) and I super wanted some spaghetti. I didn't eat any, instead i popped a couple of cashews (something fatty), then I started soaking some dried tomatoes (with have a wonderful ketchup flavor). My plan is to mix the sun dried tomatoes with an avocado, salt, and basil. I might use some zucchini as noodles.
I haven't eaten it yet, so it might not taste good at all.
if you're in the mood for some broth, try celery juice. Celery has a really nice salty flavor. if you want warm you could put the juice in a jar and then put the jar in warm (like 105 degrees) water to warm up the juice.
Maybe you're craving some fat. I've made a 'cheese cake' I got the recipe from a Youtube show called 'Sexy bitches like it raw' the crust is walnuts blend in coffee grinder, agave to make it a 'dough' (I tried raw honey, it makes it really sweet- nearly too sweet for some taste buds) and a tiny bit of cinnamon. The 'cheese cake' part is cashews soaked for about 30-60mins, blend or stir in coconut oil and agave (to taste) and lemon juice (if i do a cup of cashew i use 1-2 tblsp cocnut oil and 1 tblsp lemon juice and about 2tblsp agave .. i just go by site) add a little orange zest for extra yummy flavor. 'oil' the dish with coccnut oil, crush the walnut crust in the bottom, put in the 'cheese'. the in the frig until firm. I've also made a raw chocolate icing with raw cacao powder, coconut oil and agave.
Wow that was long. I hope it helps. good luck with the leg!!!
oh, one more tip- think lots of positive thoughts, imagine your leg healing-really visualize it, watch funny movies so you laugh a lot- its good for the soul, and a happy soul has a happy body, and happy bodies heal well.

peace and love, ann

Posted by: Dada ()
Date: March 12, 2008 09:22PM

try to make some raw soup and warm it up lightly. I am not good for recipies. see other section on them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables