Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

triphala
Posted by: cleanjan ()
Date: May 07, 2008 01:07AM

Started using triphala about a week ago. It is a vedic herb meaning 3 fruits. It has helped me with bloating and constipation, and I lost 4 lbs in a couple days. Anyone here use it, or in the past? Thanks for any input. Janice

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: triphala
Posted by: Lanie ()
Date: May 07, 2008 02:17AM

I had a colonic last year and the technician (or whatever you call them) doing the procedure HIGHLY recommended triphala for those very same digestive woes, which I also suffer from. Ultimately never tried it myself, for various unrelated reasons, but none of my own research after the fact produced any negatives on the product. So I say go for it...especially if it's helping you as much as it sounds.

~lanie

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: May 07, 2008 04:34AM

i used triphala after i came off a master cleanse and was transitioning into raw to help increase absorbtion of nutrients in my colon. i used it for about 30 days, 2 t in a glass of water left overnight to soak, then down the hatch in the morning.

the cool thing was, when i first started the herbs tasted really bitter. my ayurvedic practitioner said "when it starts tasting sweet to you, that means you can stop using it." and she was right! it did change tastes. from bitter, to tolerable, to sour, to sweet.

triphala worked for me. when i began using it, i had all these ridges on the sides of my tongue, indicating poor absorbtion in the colon. the ridges slowly flattened out, and over the course of using the herb, they vanished completely, indicating proper absorbtion.

pretty fascinating, i think!

Posted by: Lanie ()
Date: May 08, 2008 12:43AM

maui_butterfly: I've been thinking of trying out triphala lately but have only seen it in tablet form at my local health food stores. Is the powder supposed to work better? Where do you buy yours from?

Thanks!

~lanie

Date: May 08, 2008 03:23AM

I actually spelled it wrong; it is Triphalic. The research I did, seemed like the capsule was better. I got the Organic India type from www.herbspro.com which had the best price.It is also supposed to lower BP and Cholesterol. Thanks for reading. Janice

Date: May 08, 2008 08:12PM

I was cor5rect the first time- triphala. Janice

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: May 12, 2008 04:12PM

sorry for the late reply lanie, i didn't realize this topic had been moved!

i get my herbs loose from my ayurvedic practitioner, she recommends soaking triphala overnight to release its goodies. (buying it loose this way is, for me, about 1/3rd the price of a bottle of capsules.) i don't like to take any kind of capsule, i always open them up and dump them out into some water and chug it that way. why introduce whatever-the-heck the capsule is made out of into your body? and i would think loose herbs are better than hard tablets in terms of how much of the active ingredient gets absorbed.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 15, 2008 07:21PM

I'm not sure if www.herbspro.com has it - but I buy loose triphala bulk on the Organic India website - www.organicindiausa.com. it is much cheaper then the capsules...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables