Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Optic scatoma
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 07, 2008 03:08PM

Hi.
I sometimes get whats called a scintillating optic scatoma.
I start to see shimmering triangles in the center of my vision and they move outward in about 20 min,then dissapear.I read they are a form of migrane.
Has anyone else gotten these?
And could they be raw/detox related.?
Brian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Optic scatoma
Posted by: hyldemoer ()
Date: May 08, 2008 01:54AM

I used to get them with the painful head ache when I was a child back in the 50s and 60s. Looking back I suspect that for me it was an allergy to my mother's cigarette habit.

My mother couldn't smoke at work (her boss didn't like it) so she'd wait until she got home and would then smoke up a storm while she was cooking dinner.
That's when I'd start seeing the patches and then get the head ache. I recall the patches would grow and grow until they took over my whole scope of vision and they'd be there even when I closed my eyes.

Then, 40+ years later, I had a spell where I'd get just the patches if I was in a public building (like in a class) next to someone who had cigarette stink on their clothing. The first time it happened this time around I didn't want to leave the class, the patches took over my full field of vision before the class was over and I found myself quite blind.
After the class (trying to remain calm, with some assistance for getting out the door) I found I could make the patches to go away fairly quick by going outside for fresher air.

Date: May 08, 2008 12:48PM

Wow.
You really must have a smoke allergy.
I am not allergic to smoke,and dont really know what makes these come on.
Brian

Posted by: hyldemoer ()
Date: May 08, 2008 02:46PM

Raw1228 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow.
> You really must have a smoke allergy.
> I am not allergic to smoke,and dont really know
> what makes these come on.
> Brian

How do you know you don't have an allergy to something in the air?

I've got a dear sweet elderly relative who has been medicated for a multitude of problems for as long as I've been around. The sad truth is, neither my husband nor I can enter her house or sit close to her in public without getting sick ourselves
yet she insists the problem is not with all the perfumed products she uses.

It might even be something in your environment that you've been around for so long that you don't even realize its there anymore. Senses usually work that way. If they get too much of something they turn themselves down if not completely off.

The fact that your sense of smell might not be registering a smell doesn't mean the chemical constituents of the smell isn't going into your blood.

Inhaling chemicals (smells, smoke) is the fastest way to get a chemical into your blood short of injecting it with a needle in your arm. If its in the air, your lungs put it directly into your blood.

That's not saying what you're going through couldn't be the result of something visual, ingested orally, or even posturally influenced.
That's what makes the practice of medicine so interesting. Symptoms aren't the disease or malfunction. They're only reflecting how the etiology affects the individual at their most available vulnerablity.

We both have seen the visual patches.
For me it is probably the result of an allergy.
For you ...?
If you can't pin point what the vector is, perhaps you need to consult an M.D.

Once you know what's doing it, you can consciously avoid your contact with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2008 02:47PM by hyldemoer.

Date: May 08, 2008 02:59PM

Thanks for all that advice.

I had an episode two nights ago.
Was just laying in bed watching Leno (maybe THAT did it smiling smiley smiling smiley )and it came on.
I hadnt been around anything out of my usual environment all day.I live alone and dont work outside the home,so my enviornment is pretty stable each day.
I have had 4 episodes so far.
The first in 2000.
Each time they came and went,with no apparent connection to the environment.
Need to read more about them.
They dont upset me,unless of course it wouldnt go away.

Brian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2008 03:01PM by Raw1228.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables