Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Facial scrub
Posted by: rufio ()
Date: August 22, 2008 07:02PM

Does anyone know a simple, cheap homemade facial scrub I can make?
I have some olive oil on hand that I could use.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Facial scrub
Posted by: Spitfire ()
Date: August 24, 2008 12:05AM

This doesn't exactly answer your question, but I use apple cider vinegar as a toner after I wash my face at night. It exfoliates gently and leaves my face glowy and super soft. My skin doesn't do well with physical scrubs. I put two tablespoons water and one tablespoon apple cider vinegar in a cup and mix. I then apply with a cotton pad after I have cleansed my face at night. Yes, it does smell funky, but skin is looking even better since I started using this.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 25, 2008 06:32PM

baking soda is the best scrub i've ever used. it's gentle yet thorough. follow with an ACV rinse to maintain good ph balance. Nice!

Posted by: meganbubbs ()
Date: August 26, 2008 05:20PM

My mom has two different facial scrubs that she loves. The first one you use about 4-5 aspirin, melt them in a little bit of hot water, so it makes it like a runny paste, then apply that to your face, let it sit for a minute, then gently scrub in circular motions. Aspirin has salicylic acid which exfoliates. then rinse and apply some moisturizer, coconut oil is what I use, or castor oil is good after this, it draws out more impurities. The aspirin is a little drying but I think it also depends on the water you use, the weather etc. The other one is a sugar scrub that leaves your skin really smooth and soft. Mix about a teaspoon of sugar with the same amount of oil, castor is good and use it like you would any face scrub.
I know you won't find asprin or sugar in a lot of raw homes, but they are a good alternatives to anything that you could get pre-made, processed, with ton's of preservatives etc.

Posted by: rufio ()
Date: September 02, 2008 09:32AM

What kind of sugar do you use? I read that the granules have to be round or they'll cut your skin.

Date: September 02, 2008 09:14PM

oatmeal softened for a few minutes in hot water. Makes the skin soooo soft.

Posted by: meganbubbs ()
Date: September 03, 2008 03:49PM

I think white granulated sugar is what the recipe calls for, who knows if they are perfectly round probably not because they are crystals. I can really only see a problem if you use "raw" sugar. Think of sand, it's not perfect but I have never seen sand cut anybodys skin.

Date: September 03, 2008 04:00PM

the problem with using granules is that the damage to the skin may not be visible to the eye but it's there none the less. like apricot kernel scrubs, those are much too harsh for skin IMO. they leave microscopic tears that have a negative effect on the skin. something very gentle is best, even a fruit acid that doesn't scrub but still removes a layer of dead skin cells. alpha-hydroxy, there must be some natural sources.

Posted by: hiddenfang ()
Date: January 13, 2009 11:40PM

I used to be BIG into natural and homemade beauty products. I even wrote my own book.

The easiest, and cheapest, facial scrub I've found is from India - chick pea flour. Put some in a spice jar to keep in your bathroom. When you wash, use about a teaspoon mixed with enough water (some use rose water) to make a smooth paste. Use as you would any facial scrub, and be sure to rinse thoroughly. If you buy some at Indian stores, it'll be labeled Dram flour.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 14, 2009 05:12PM

hiddenfang,

That's awesome advice and I've never heard it before--thanks!

Date: January 15, 2009 07:53PM

lately i've been using a piece of fresh pineapple. rub it on, let it dry 15 mins, rinse. wow. eats off a layer of dead skin, it's as good as a peel!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables