Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Orthomolecular treatment for alcohol addiction
Posted by: pippin07 ()
Date: October 25, 2008 05:16AM

Is anyone familiar with this method of treatment?

One of the things I have become aware of since transitioning to the raw/live food lifestyle is that I have had an addiction to alcohol ( I don't buy the theory that it is a disease). In addition I have struggled with an addiction to coffee and sugar. Since going raw the sugar part was relatively easy to kick in comparison to the coffee and alcohol. I am going into my third week without having alcohol and two weeks without coffee, although I have had white tea several times at work out of necessity because after all I do need to be at least semi-productive ;-) For this three week period I have stayed mostly raw/mono, having baked potatoes & homemade lentil stew a couple of times.

Even with my diet being so good the past few weeks I still seem to suffer from fatigue, insomnia, day time sleepiness, etc. Every day at work my body is crying out to give it a strong shot of espresso or cup of coffee. The thing that keeps me from doing it is the digestive problems that will follow. I have learned my lesson on that one. So here I sit off alcohol, off sugar, off coffee, healthy eating and still feel like I am on SAD. However, not as bad as SAD. (sounds like a rap ;-)

I have been reading this book on orthomolecular treatment for alcohol addiction and the author talks about the dry drunk. When a person with an alcohol addiction quits the alcohol and does not address the nutritional deficiencies the person will continue to suffer a host of symptoms, which I wont list, and these are the very symptoms I am experiencing.

The treatment is that for eight weeks you go on type of detox diet, which is all organic vegan by the way, and your diet is supplemented with a large assortment of supplements. Exercise, meditation, and being in nature are some of the other things you do. A parasite cleanse, liver/gallbladder cleanse & colon hydrotherapy are also done. That is the gist of it,though not all of it.

Here is where I need your opinions: The goal of the program is to heal the addicted persons endocrine system and reset the biochemistry which is creating the seemingly uncontrollable urge to drink alcohol. If this is true and can actually be done, then couldn't an impeccable (or close to it) raw live food diet enable the body to heal its own biochemistry without the use of supplements and all that other jazz?

I only wish I knew that my body would be able to cure itself of addictions with just food as I would much rather spend my money on healthy food than supplements. But then again, it may just be that there are times when it is just necessary to do so.

Thanks!
Denise

P.S. I didn't meant to write a book here :-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Orthomolecular treatment for alcohol addiction
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 28, 2008 07:22AM

i think probably the best way to find out is just go ahead and do what you think your body might respond too ...do it comfortably and at a pace that your body accepts

were all different right smiling smiley

it all sounds very good and i dont see any harm in trying it ..especially considering its full of raw fruity veggie goodness smiling smiley

any step forwards and onwards is a step in the right direction isnt it? smiling smiley

you seem to have a positive attitude along with a questioning mind so go for it and see where the journey takes you .. it certainly cant be any worse then where you were yesterday .. or the day before ..or the ..... smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables