Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

carcinogens are not bad afterall!
Posted by: andrew ()
Date: December 12, 2008 10:19PM

cancer causing carcinogens contained in cooked food do not damage human cells which are protected by the continously shedding wall of the gastrointenstinal tract.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: carcinogens are not bad afterall!
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 12, 2008 10:32PM

References, please?

For oral, pharyngeal, laryngeal, esophageal, and gastric cancers. Nine of the 11 studies of raw and cooked vegetables showed statistically significant inverse relationships of these cancers with raw vegetables, but only 4 with cooked vegetables.

Both raw and cooked vegetable consumption are inversely related to epithelial cancers, particularly those of the upper gastrointestinal tract, and possibly breast cancer; but these relationships may be stronger for raw vegetables than cooked vegetables.

ref:
Link LB, Potter JD.,Rancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2004 Sep;13(9):1422-35. Raw versus cooked vegetables and cancer risk,PMID: 15342442

Squamous cell esophageal cancer, significant increased risk emerged for high consumption of soups (OR=2.1 for the highest vs. lowest quintile), whereas inverse associations with esophageal cancer risk were observed for raw vegetables (OR=0.3), citrus fruit (OR=0.4) and other fruit (OR=0.5).

refs:
Bosetti C, La Vecchia C, Talamini R, Simonato L, Zambon P, Negri E, Trichopoulos D, Lagiou P, Bardini R, Franceschi S.,Food groups and risk of squamous cell esophageal cancer in northern Italy,Int J Cancer. 2000 Jul 15;87(2):289-94,PMID: 10861489

Cipriani F, Buiatti E, Palli D., Gastric cancer in Italy, Ital J Gastroenterol. 1991 Sep-Oct;23(7):429-35,PMID: 1742542

While it might be early to say that cooked foods can be causal for GI tract/epithelial cancers, it is probably not early to suggest that consumption of raw foods is protective.

ref:
me

Posted by: swimmer ()
Date: December 12, 2008 10:34PM

umm...Andrew, why would you post a non-fact based opinion like this on a raw food vegan site without siting any reason or source?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2008 10:46PM by swimmer.

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: December 12, 2008 11:03PM

Toxic sludge is good for you!

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 12, 2008 11:49PM

I laughed heartily when I read this. But where's the punchline, Andrew? And to what are you referring: Teflon[tm] or heterocyclic amines? Also, by this logic, no one should get colon cancer, eh? And how does continuous shedding of gastrointestinal cells protect other ones? Tell us, Doctor Science! We gots to know!

Posted by: Kombaiyashii ()
Date: December 13, 2008 01:08AM

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I laughed heartily when I read this. But where's
> the punchline, Andrew? And to what are you
> referring: Teflon or heterocyclic amines? Also,
> by this logic, no one should get colon cancer, eh?
> And how does continuous shedding of
> gastrointestinal cells protect other ones? Tell
> us, Doctor Science! We gots to know!

I was thinking he was referring to Melamine, even though in China they executed a CEO that let it get into their food. In the US, they just decided that would be bad politically, so they just declared Melamine good for youwinking smiley

[www.google.com]

Mercury is also good for you...

[www.youtube.com]

Poison food is good for the economy

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2008 01:17AM by Kombaiyashii.

Date: December 13, 2008 03:25AM

i like raw food.

[en.wikipedia.org]
third paragraph in the toxicity chapter.

i just dont think raw food will make live until you are 140.

Date: December 13, 2008 03:29AM

today i ate two grapefruits, two oranges, two apples, a kiwi, a banana, and some pomegrante. that is a typical first half of the day for me. maybe a green smoothie.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 13, 2008 03:40AM

Cholesterol increases benzo(a)pyrene 3-hydroxylase (a carcinogenic product of metabolism of benzo(a)pyrene) activity in the gastrointestinal tract.

DEP if your charbroiled foods contain cholesterol.

(don't expect protection).

But keep on eating your raw f+v, antioxidants will provide some protection if you occasionally indulge.

ref:
PMID: 454558

Best to skip that stuff anyway, it's a. mean, b. bad for the environment, c. bad for you.

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: December 13, 2008 05:24PM

I've read a few things about carcinogens. First of all, carcinogens are in everything. Raw food, cooked food. And second, you'd have to eat a whole lot of something to probably get cancer, disregarding where you live, and your lifestyle.

Carcinogens are found in charred things - usually charred meat - at high levels. But that's about all I believe when it comes to carcinogens...Any other website will just say something contradicting most likely or not scientifically sound.

Then again, some people SMOKE and never get cancer. So why would something as small as cooked food give you carcinogens enough to give you cancer. Cooked food is way too general, yeah?

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: December 14, 2008 04:35AM

My ex-husband used to tell me that everyone needs to get a certain amount of toxins in their daily diet in order to render their bodies resistant to toxicity--sort of like the vaccination idea. I guess that's one of the reasons he's my EX! ;p

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: January 01, 2009 07:36PM

How do we know that these people who smoke 'never' get cancer? Do we conclude they haven't got cancer because they happened to have died of something else?

I read somewhere that half of 50 year-olds have a tumour starting somewhere but they don't know it.

Isn't it possible that a 70 or 80 year-old smoker might die of a heart attack but also have a tumour on the lung that would have killed them in a few years if the heart attack hadn't got them first?

I don't think autopsies are routine at death unless there's there's some controversy about the death. So how do we know that these smokers 'never' get cancer?

PS re saying you have to eat a lot of something for it to have an effect, the effect of carcinogens from cooked food is cumulative, eg by the age of 70 a lot of people have eaten rather a lot. That's why generally people get cancer late in life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2009 07:38PM by debbietook.

Posted by: herbalgerbals ()
Date: January 20, 2009 06:50PM

I see I see.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables