Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

antidepressants
Posted by: dancerinthenight ()
Date: December 17, 2008 01:21AM

I was wondering if anyone her had personal experience with ad's. I do not want to hear third-party opinions. Of course they are drugs and have risks. But so do depression and the accompanying self-harm behaviors. I am thinking of going on Wellbutrin to fight smoking and compulsive eating. I just want to hear from those who have or are taking them.....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: antidepressants
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 17, 2008 01:45AM

dancerinthenight,

I have taken antidepressants in my past.
I am neutral on the subject.
I think they can help.
But right now I am med free,and have lifted out of a depression that lasted many years.I did it cognitively,by deciding I was not worthless,and all thoughts of being worthless are but mere static clouding reality.

I wish you all the best in overcoming the smoking and compulsive eating.
God loves you.

Brian

Posted by: Ariel55 ()
Date: December 17, 2008 08:37AM

I had a very bad experience with seroxat/paxil

I do not adivse them and try get to the roots of your depression another way. They actually made me worse in the long term and I could not get off them, the witthdrawal was so bad. I ended up taking an overdose as they made me ocd manically extroverted, when I'm an introvert and suicidal and went into a coma. I believe they do lasting damage to the metabolic and endocrine system. I've been left with permanant memory and organisational problems since I went on them. Many people cannot metabolise certain drugs and do not have enzymes to metabloise and different drug wreck different enzyme metabolic pathways. In my case with seroxat it is enzyme cyp2d6. The effects are not always noticed to the person taking it at the time, but can become slowly more severe.

The more minor cases of ssri are that people who take ssri that end up with memory problems and organisational problems,

You want to check the thousands of people with side effects or left with permanent damage before decidng to take ssri drugs

[seroxatsecrets.wordpress.com]

also check out panorama programme on the cover up with anti depressants because they were put out by pharmaceutical companies with the knowledge that they were not safe,as test results showed
[news.bbc.co.uk]

although this info is on seroxat, all ssris do the same thing.

some drug facts by psychiatrist peter breggin

[breggin.com]

You could read some of the research on this website too on anti depressants they also have some solutions on how to deal with depression another way.

[www.prozactruth.com]
The chronic fatigue I now have, I believe is to do with endocrine hormonal damage this drug did.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2008 08:49AM by Ariel55.

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: December 17, 2008 09:01PM

Dancer,

I have experience with Wellbutrin. At first it helped very much with compulsive eating as well as depression. But when going off it there were strange and strong rebound cravings as well as other problems. It took a while to get my balance back. Wild weight fluctuations, amongst other things, were a problem when going off it. It helped with mood and depression at first, but the effects would wear off till next dose increase. It's strong stuff. As an alternative, could you experiment with Amino Acids? (5HTP, Tyrosine, DHPA etc)

Best of luck to you.

Posted by: dancerinthenight ()
Date: December 18, 2008 01:34AM

This validates what I was feeling. Thank you all.

Date: December 18, 2008 10:24AM

If you are looking for a natural product with scientifically proved anti-depressive qualities look into Rhodiola rosea. It is an herb that has been for thousands of years by many different cultures, chinese, russians, etc. It was mainly used to help with mental clarity and mental and physical endurance, similar to ginseng and ginko biloba. I have used it for a year now and have noticed solid results. I did not start taking it because I was depressed though. I took to help with my focus and endurance in paddling. But I noticed I did not get as irritable when I had a heavy work load...anti-depressant? It is widely available at health food stores, and there is a ton of reputable scientific research on the many different qualities it has. I hope this helped.

Good luck

Justin smiling smiley

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: December 18, 2008 08:44PM

I have taken anti depressants and lithium (for bipolar). Eating healthier food (rather than junk food vegan) seemed to eliminate the need for medications in my case.

Sunflower
Raw Food Chef and Writer
Comfortably Raw
[www.comfortablyraw.com]

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 20, 2008 02:47AM

I tried bunches of them, different types: ssris, ssnris, tricyclics, and a mao-A inhibitor.

The only things that helped (and I write helped rather than really worked) were lorzaepam (a benzodiazepine, anti-anxiety), and the mao-A inhibitor, which is not FDA approved, but readily available in Europe. They make me more mellow, not as miserable, but still pretty miserable. No magic pills for me, only things that make the valleys less deep.

These are much more powerful than food, unless there is some underlying deficiency.

My dad says my case is situational. But I think it is congenital. I feel like I was pretty much born to be depressive, I have all the personality traits, thought patterns, and tendencies for it.

Posted by: Dirawk ()
Date: February 26, 2009 09:23PM

fuckem. personal experience is feeling like a vegetable. no ups no downs. medication is meant to solve the symptoms associated with the problem but not the actual problem. most addiction (smoking) is caused by a protein deficiency. thats why many meat eaters smoke cigarettes. proof that meat protein is not sufficiently digested in the human stomach. i recommend lots of greens. green juices in particular. greens are your best source of protein that I am aware of. Ive found living raw foods to be the most helpful. the higher the percentage the better in mine and my friends cases.

Posted by: Omega ()
Date: February 26, 2009 10:27PM

arugula Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But I think it is congenital. I feel like I was pretty much born
> to be depressive, I have all the personality
> traits, thought patterns, and tendencies for it.

IMO, one may have "traits" of depression or be born with it, but there is nothing to stop someone from reaching the highest levels of vitality (and associated happiness) if one is willing to work for it.

The transformative potential of a cleansing raw food lifestyle is beyond imagination -- literally, meaning it cannot be imagined or believed until it is experienced. However, it takes time; if one is severely depressed, it may take YEARS on a 100% raw food diet to heal. However, IMO this is the only REAL solution, as depression is simply a state of reduced vitality. The noticeable improvements over time on a 100% raw food diet will serve as an inspiration that this is THE path for raising one's vitality and healing one's emotional challenges.

Again, it takes time, as does all natural healing.

Excellent diagram: "The Relation Between Energy And Feeling And Thought"

[drbass.com]

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: February 27, 2009 08:31AM

i have done them before when i was a teen.

i find depression/overeating to be more of a life/ situational issue which effects the chemicals in the brain rather then the other way around.

i had side effects with my skin while on them. they made me very sensitive to the sun, and i broke out when i was exposed to sun for too long... my skin has a tendency to break out when chemicals are involved.

Date: March 07, 2009 07:26PM

I took a low dose of Wellbutrin for a very short time~ 75 mg. It made me feel such horrible anxiety I thought I was going out of my mind... and I never feel like that; plus my mind would not shut off. My sleep got messed up even thou I took it in the morning. I stopped it right away. My therapist asked if I would consider cutting a 75 ( the smallest size they make) pill in half. I replied "no."

Currently I take nothing for over a year, and I am doing fine with raw food, exercise and yoga with the laughing Yogi~[www.universalyoga.org] and doing my best to internalize every cloud has a silver lining, and lessons to be learned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2009 07:36PM by cherimoya<3.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 08, 2009 05:25AM

[literally, meaning it cannot be imagined or believed until it is experienced. However, it takes time; if one is severely depressed, it may take YEARS on a 100% raw food diet to heal. However, IMO this is the only REAL solution, as depression is simply a state of reduced vitality. The noticeable improvements over time on a 100% raw food diet will serve as an inspiration that this is THE path for raising one's vitality and healing one's emotional challenges. ]

Do you have any credible support for this claim?

I really wish it were that simple.

Food is not everything. We still get sick and die. Hopefully not as often or as soon.

Date: March 09, 2009 01:05PM

Are you replying to me arugula? maybe not... ha ha ~ I can't tell; my "claim" is my own personal experience over the past three years with changing my thought patterns and attitude smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2009 01:08PM by cherimoya<3.

Posted by: Omega ()
Date: March 16, 2009 10:30PM

My experience has been the same as cherimoya's: eating a raw diet (for me, 100%) and observing my thought patterns change over time (of their own accord actually -- I never TRIED to think differently).

For me, eating any food that is not raw and alkaline-forming will have a deleterious effect on my thought patterns and emotions.

This means eating a very strict diet, but the positive emotional effects are worth it for me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables