Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Chi-Gong or Qigong
Date: January 24, 2009 10:04PM

A friend of mine told me that Chi-gong is a great exercise that is really cleansing and good for the endocrine system.

Does anyone do this and does anyone know where I can obtain a DVD or something regarding it? I have looked at mainstream places like Target and Barnes and Noble with no luck.

I do yoga twice a day and I love it. I sometimes throw pilates in there for good measure and I thought if this Chi-gong is something really good I could throw that in there too. I was reading an article saying that Chi-gong can cure cancer. ????? I guess it is worth a try - huh?

-kj

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chi-Gong or Qigong
Date: January 24, 2009 10:07PM

I found this online: [www.realage.com] There are also some cheesy illustrated pictures to demonstrate the moves.

Chi-Gong Workout
Ever tried chi-gong (also spelled qigong)? Ever even heard of it? No, it’s not a tea or percussion instrument, but a 2000-year-old series of bodily movements and breaths that calms the spirit and the mind. It has also been shown to strengthen the immune system, reduce stress, and improve balance and posture (all important as we get older).

The most important goal of chi-gong is to learn how to breathe correctly -- which involves breathing from the tan tien -- a point 2 inches below the navel.

In each exercise, breathe in slowly. Focus on a point on the wall in front of you, with your chin parallel to the ground -- this will help maintain balance. Your eyes should never drop during any exercise. Ideally, do this series of movements, crafted by the YOU Docs and chi-gong master Karl Romain, once daily to help keep your mind and body calm and focused.

Repeat each move three times before moving on to the next.
1. Loosening the Neck
Sink to the ground with your elbows and knees slightly bent and your chin parallel to the ground. Turn your head to the right as you inhale, and exhale as you come back to the middle. Then, turn your head to the left and repeat the sequence.

2. Picking the Fruit
Exhale as you reach for imaginary fruit, and inhale while bringing the fruit down. Reach for the closest fruit first, and then progressively move up the imaginary tree. Keep your knees bent and your back straight.

3. Relaxing the Shoulders
Lift your shoulders first, then elbows, then wrists. Roll your shoulders back; your elbows go out and your hands angle toward the middle -- as if you’re grabbing a pole -- with your hands sliding down to the level of your waist. Feel the energy as your hands pass down your body.

4. Reaching to Heaven
Inhale and clasp your hands at the level of your navel, and then raise your arms as if you’re reaching toward heaven. Lean to the right as you exhale, and then inhale as you come back to the center. Use the same technique as you lean to the left. Finally, bring your hands down in front of your navel as you exhale.

5. Bow, Bend, and Stretch
As you inhale, bow forward from the waist while your hands slide down your thighs and onto your knees. Bend at your knees and squat with your hands on the insides of knees. (Do not exhale until you come back up; this really works the control of your breath.) Then, stretch your legs as you let your torso hang to the floor, keeping your knees slightly bent. As you slowly rise up, exhale, allowing your head to be the last part of the body to rise up.

6. Stepping over the Fence
Inhale and deliberately shift your weight to the left until the right leg has no weight on it. Lift your leg only when it is weightless. Pretend that your right hand is attached to your right knee by a string. With your hand over your knee and leg, exhale as you rotate your leg and arm to the right -- as if you’re stepping over a 1-foot fence. Slowly lower your heel, foot pointed out, and then rotate your foot frontward as you transfer weight to the right. Repeat with your left side.

7. White Stork Kicks Up
Raise your hands in front of your body while your elbows remain slightly bent and your hands cross each other in front of your body. Move them above your head in a circular motion as you inhale. At the same time, lift your right knee and, as you kick out, start to exhale. Your foot should be flexed, kicking out with the heel. You should be kicking at a 45-degree angle, with your foot raised up like a stork and moving away from your straight left leg. Straighten your right leg as it’s rotated to the right. Your arms should move with your leg as you alternate sides.

8. Lifting a Knee
Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart. Inhale as you step forward with your left foot at a 45-degree angle and raise your hands in front of you with palms facing each other. As you exhale, lift your right knee and clasp your hands over your knee as you hold it in the air. Keep your back straight and the knee of your standing leg slightly bent. You should feel the stretch in your lower back. Let go of your knee as you inhale and step back with your right foot, again raising your hands with palms together. Exhale as you bring your left foot back to center and lower your hands to your sides.

9. Polishing the Mirror
With your pelvis tucked under and back straight, use your shoulders to circle your arms and squat down as you rotate your arms in one direction -- as though you are cleaning a mirror. After repeating three times (or more), repeat with your arms moving in the opposite direction. Inhale as you squat down, and exhale as you rise.

10. Picking Up the Suitcase
With your back straight, pelvis tucked, and feet shoulder-width apart, squat back with your hands open and beside your knees, as if you were reaching for luggage located behind your legs. Go only as low as possible, as if you were grasping luggage handles. (If your knees are strained, your posture is incorrect.) Repeat, as if you were putting the luggage back on the floor.

11. Universal Post
With your back straight, step forward with your left leg, and put your arms around an imaginary wide post, elbows bent and shoulders relaxed. Roll the post to the right and then to the left. Repeat with the other foot forward.

12. Monkey Hears a Noise
In this exercise, you'll inhale as you step out, and exhale as you look over your shoulder. With your knees slightly bent, step out to the left and lean forward in a twisted position, with your right arm extended forward and your left hand closed in a fist next to your left hip. Turn your head to look over your left shoulder, as if you’re a monkey running forward while hearing a noise behind you. You should feel a stretch in your right calf, lower back, and neck. Then, rotate in the opposite direction, with your body facing toward the right.

13. Standing Meditation
Clasp your hands over your tan tien (that’s 2 inches below the navel) and breathe, focusing on the movement of your belly. Keep your legs bent and spread, and your hips tucked under with a straight back. Do this for about 2 minutes -- that’s the maximum most people can focus.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables