Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

ring worm
Posted by: volcomchick8797 ()
Date: March 20, 2009 05:41AM

hey guys,

i just started raw again and have had ringworm on my lower ankle and shin for over a year and a couple of months. i have gotten cream from the doctor and taken ketacortazole orally four times. this med is suppose to work in one month and be done, but i guess cause i have had ringworm for so long its not working as effectively. i have to keep getting blood test before i can get a prescription renewal because taking this med can affect your liver negatively. so far my liver has been normal, but im tired of having to keep getting this prescription and it working but not ridding of it all the way. i was wonder if there were any natural remedies that anyone has tried for themselves. i was searching online--there are blogs that say used crushed garlic, rub vinegar, rub bleach, rub witchhazel, spray windex and paint fingernail polish over it. i would love a natural remedy and dont want to put fingernail polish or other harsh chemicals on my skin. any advice would be greatly appreciated. i really want it gone =( i would love to hear stories of how you got rid of this annoying fungis. it would be great to hear from personal experiences. thanks. im dying for this to be gone and i can finally wear clothes wear i dont have to keep these areas consealed. thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ring worm
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: March 20, 2009 06:29AM

Tea Tree Oil worked for me! I had a BIG circle of ringworm on my thigh. Tea tree oil got rid of it pretty quickly (I think in a couple of weeks). I applied it directly to the ringworm several times a day.

A few minutes after application, the tea tree oil will soak into the skin, and the area won't feel oily.

I've also heard that grapefruit seed extract can be used to treat ringworm, but I honestly don't know if that information comes from people who market grapefruit seed extract, or from people who have actually tried it successfully. I'd be interested to know if anyone here has used grapefruit seed extract for ringworm.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2009 06:32AM by suncloud.

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: March 20, 2009 02:48PM

whatever you do with a ring worm don't cover it with a bandaid. That just helps it to grow.

Posted by: meganbubbs ()
Date: March 20, 2009 03:45PM

I have gotten rid of a small patch of ringworm on my inner thigh from eating massive amounts of garlic, 3-4 cloves (crushed and with lots of water) a day and also eating coconuts/coconut oil for a couple of weeks. Didn't put on anything topical but make sure the area can breath, keep the skin dry. I think it's better if you can handle it to chew up the garlic really well in your mouth so the garlic can mix with the enzymes in your saliva. Digestion starts in your mouth.
Good luck

Date: March 20, 2009 05:21PM

thanks guys,
i will try all of these. im so eager to rid of this and just be done. thanks

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: March 20, 2009 07:45PM

..ummm soaking? I'm just getting over a case of athlete's or very mild trench foot -- not sure which, one protocal being soaking the feet in warm water. It might sound counter-intuitive to soak when one has a fungus associated with dampness, but I think it really gives the fungi (often Trichophyton rubrum) a headache.

Here's one drill for treating trench foot:

--Thoroughly clean and dry your feet.
--Put on clean, dry socks daily.
--Treat the affected part by applying warm packs or soaking in warm water (102° to 110° F) for approximately 5 minutes.
--When sleeping or resting, do not wear socks."

[emergency.cdc.gov]

..soaking my feet in warm water has been pleasent too.

Date: March 20, 2009 10:07PM

pampam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> whatever you do with a ring worm don't cover it
> with a bandaid. That just helps it to grow.

And Meganbubbs also says, "make sure the area can breathe..."

That's probably SO true, since ringworm is a fungal infection. For that reason (sorry to say) it would probably be best NOT to cover it with clothing. And especially not tight clothing, like socks. Embarrassing yes, but worth it for a while if that's what it takes to heal. When I had the ringworm on my thigh, it was summer, and I was wearing shorts all the time, so it was never covered.

One of the unique properties of tea tree oil (for attacking all kinds of infections) is that it has a drying effect on the skin, NOT a moisturizing effect. It quickly dissolves into the skin, and leaves no oil coating that can trap moisture or prevent the skin from breathing.

I'm not sure about the soaking in warm water. Does sound kind of "counter-intuitive" (no offense Loeve). But If you do it, I'd suggest making sure to wash thoroughly afterwards with soap and water, and apply the tea tree oil to the entire area that was soaking, so that the ringworm doesn't spread. Then let your entire foot dry thoroughly before putting any shoes on. Athlete's foot and ringworm are the same fungus, so you don't want your ringworm to turn into athlete's foot! smiling smiley

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: March 20, 2009 11:25PM

..tinea cruris is another ringworm rash. It can be treated with oils, pharmaceuticals and personal hygiene. Maybe they are all effective more or less depending on the case. I don't know.

This study compares the use of griseofulvin with personal hygiene in the treatment of tinea cruris:

"Two hundred and twentyfive (225) consecutive patients comprising 193 males (85.7%) and 32 females (14.2) were randomized into two groups to evaluate the effectiveness of personal hygiene in the treatment of tinea cruris. This double-blind trial, which lasted for 84 days, took place at the dermatology clinic, Jericho Hospital, Ibadan. The first group of 112 subjects (96 males, 16 females) received griseofulvin 500 mg daily for 10 days while the other group of 113 subjects (97 males, 16 females) received placebo and personal hygiene (restricted bathing). There was informed consent from each patient. Presence of hyphae in the affected groin was determined by microscopy and culture methods. Patients recorded the occurrence of pruritus daily in the health diary given to them. The result showed that hyphae had almost disappeared in the griseofulvin group by 4th week but resurfaced in 59.8%, 78.6%, 83.0%, 87.5% of the patients by the 8th, 10th, 11th, 12th week, respectively. In the placebo restricted bathing group, proportion with the positive hyphae was initially high in the second week (88.0%), third week (90.0%) but declined rapidly after the 4th week (60.0%) until nearly zero by the 10th week and onwards. It is therefore concluded that simple personal hygiene and health education without medication are more effective and cheaper than pharmaco therapy like griseofulvin in the treatment of tinea cruris." [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

..so the restricted bathing group did well.

..things like washing once or twice a day with a warm foot soak, changing cloths often, keeping warm and dry and going barefoot as much as possible are working on my athlete's foot.

Date: March 20, 2009 11:42PM

thanks for everyone's advice. i have a blemish stick from trader joes that has tee tree oil along with 8 other oils. ill try that and eating garlic as well as soaking. the only thing im worried about is not wearing socks to bed since its on my ankle and lower shin only because i only have two sets of sheets and dont think my parents would want me doing laundry everyday. but i do remember when it was just a small thing and i would think it was cancer (im one of those major over reactors and scare myself) but i remember showing my bf all the time and touching it all the time without is spreading to any other spots. then it just kept getting bigger and i went to the docs and they said it was ringworm. i feel very lucky for not having it all over my body and spreading from my past touching and not washing my hands. thanks for all the advice. im going to try everything so i can make sure its gone. i really appreciate all of your advice.

Date: March 21, 2009 03:56AM

Good information from Loeve (as usual). grinning smiley

Volcomchick: Sorry to say, but the blemish stick will probably not be sufficient. And the other oils in the stick might easily cause the area to retain moisture - which would be counterproductive. You'd do much better with the pure 100% tea tree oil, available at most health food stores.

If you feel you have to wear a sock to bed, try to have the lightest, most breathable cotton sock that you can possibly find.

Hope you're better soon!

Date: March 21, 2009 03:58AM

thanks,

i saw some tee tree oil at trader joes and heading tomorrow to get some. yeah, i was thinking about how the blemish stick just might not do it too. thanks for giving me the nudge to get pure tee tree oil. and i dont know why but i didnt think about light socks...ive been wearing like thick boot socks. that might help alot because i know it feeds on heat and moisture. thanks

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: March 22, 2009 04:39AM

you can use garlic or neem. one time I had ringworm, and i juice fasted and it went away.

Posted by: Maxi ()
Date: March 22, 2009 06:31AM

Hello friend,

you are healing in this moment, and all of the suggestions sound good. I would try some oil of oregano, topically and internally (a few 4-5 drops in water/juice three times a day) for the ringworm. It is a very strong antibiotic, and can heal almost any cold, virus, or skin eruption (such as a stye of the eye, or cold sore). It is pretty expensive about 20-25$ a bottle, though since it can cure any ailment and clear mucus from your body, it is a very good thing to have. Sometimes called Oregonal.

Perhaps, you may also want to try soy-gurt on it topically. Yogurt'/Soy-gurt is another antiobiotic/probiotic. I had staff infection on my foot last summer, and yogurt helped more than tea tree oil. It dried up the area of my foot that was infected and worked way better than the prescription antiobiotic I tried. So since both of them are fairly cheap, I would try both, tea tree oil one night, and soy-gurt the next night to see which one heals you best...Before bed is the best time for topical or internal treatments to be taken (As well as throughout the day, of course), as our bodies have the entire night solely to heal. It may seem that the soy-gurt (can buy at traders) will drench your wound, though it will actually dry the area out, and the "good bacteria" will replace the bad. Also, staying away from sugar, as the ringworm may live off sugar, I know the Staff does, and when I had it, I cut out sugar from my diet. So maybe less fruits and more veggies for now, would help.

Happy Healing smiling smiley

Date: March 23, 2009 02:05AM

thanks ILoveJen and Maxi,

i have to look up what neem is because i have never heard of it. i dont want to be searching for a mystery item. lol. thanks, i have heard that garlic does the trick too.

i havent heard anything about the oil oregano, but if it cures ailments then that is what i need. =) i havent even thought about soygurt at all, you caused my lightbulb to turn on. i totally didnt even think of how yogurt has good bacteria. thats pretty interesting how it helps with fungi. thanks, that is a really cheap way to help out.

thanks guys, ill let you know when its gone

Posted by: redstar_38 ()
Date: March 24, 2009 12:56PM

Last Summer I had ringworm and Raw, Organic Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar applied directly on my ringworm 2 times a day helped get rid of it so fast!!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 24, 2009 07:24PM

We've had it last year, too. And apple cider vinegar and tee tree oil helped. Also, the homeopathic remedy Sepia is what helps too - if I remembered it right winking smiley.

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: March 24, 2009 08:25PM

a topical approach is basically allopathic and will not give any lasting results so you need to invoke a long term systemic approach along with any topical applications.

i heartily recommend veggie juices such as celery-cucumber with parsely and garic for starters. raw dinasaur kale,escarole and dandlion with garlic marinated overnight might also be another nice addition,\.

try to stay away from sugary fruits and sweet juice combinations. if you need some sweetness try modest amountsw of carrot apple and satisfying herbs like cinamon and stevia.

if you have any know allergies to specific foods ...omit them totaly.

periodic juice or water fasting with emema is also recommended.

monitor your ph. and heed the results.

"painting" the areas with liquid propolis may be worth considering.

please understand that i am not a doctor so my recommendations are only opinionated and should not be taken as "guaranteed to produce results" for you.
they are merely being offered anecdotedly.

hoping for your best of results....

jj

Date: March 26, 2009 04:54AM

thanks everyone,

i have heard of vinegar but ill try apple cider vinegar. its going to be really hard for me to eat low sugar, but its def worth getting rid of the ringworm to do. ill do anything, well you know what i mean lol. anyways, im not sure what you mean about monitering my ph. what does that mean? i will def do oral and topical approaches combined. thanks for your guys' input.

Date: March 26, 2009 07:46AM

I can only speak for myself and my own experience; but in my case, I was eating a LOT of fruit (as usual) when I got rid of the ring worm. I never checked my ph.

My diet was all raw at the time or very close to it. I probably had chopped garlic in my salads.

smiling smiley

Although the tea tree oil worked well for me (no recurrence), someone else might be helped by doing something orally as well. I've heard good things about the oregano.

I think water fasting is always a good idea, and perhaps the greatest healer of all! And ILoveJen got rid of ringworm by juice fasting, so that's good too.

Volcomchick, hope you're not on "overload" with all of these suggestions!

And hope you have a speedy recovery!

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 26, 2009 10:31AM

Here's an interesting article about garlic: [www.innvista.com]

Posted by: violeta ()
Date: March 26, 2009 12:18PM

Olive leaf is good for any bacteria or fungus. You can take it orally to enhance the immune system and make a paste or liquid and apply it directly to the skin.

May I ask, have you been eating any wheat products? I always get ringworm when I eat wheat or other gluten grains.

violeta

Date: March 26, 2009 10:52PM

hello suncloud,

dont feel like it is an overload with all of these suggestions, the more the merrier. ill try everything in combination. i appreciate all of the comments

Date: March 26, 2009 10:58PM

thanks EZ Rider,

i think ill overindulge on garlic even when my ringworm is gone. all that info in the article was so interesting. thanks for sharing that article. i have taken some ketacortazole for my ringworm orally over and over and my doc said it could be harmful to my liver. its great to hear that garlic helps the liver detoxify. thanks so much

Date: March 26, 2009 11:04PM

hey violeta,

i have never heard about olive leaves. ill really have to look into that. thanks for posting it so i could become knowledgable about this

and for the whole wheat question, yes. for my dinners i have been eating whole wheat pasta with organic marinara or brown rice. i have the whole breakfast thing raw and mostly lunch but a cooked dinner with raw veggies and fruit for dessert. i wonder if that could be effecting me as it does you.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 28, 2009 09:49PM

We recently cured our 12 pound puppy of an intense case of ringworm all over his body. We used the following rememdy:

Treating from the inside: 1 tsp of coconut oil a day (he gobbled it down)
Treating from the outside: apple cider vinegar swabbed on infected areas

You'll probably want to adjust your intake of coconut oil (an anti-fungal) to a level that's more than 1 teaspoon.

Posted by: HealthNVitality ()
Date: April 15, 2009 03:28PM

Many of the preceding treatments should be helpful.
It is good to see the compendium of ideas.

Nevertheless, it is important to realize that the presence of a ringworm or any other parasite in a body is not an isolated condition.
I have never seen a body that is 100% healthy except for the presence of a ringworm at one location, nor a case where the presence of the ringworm has no effect on the body other than occupying a small space.

Seen thus, the presence of a ringworm is a symptom of unhealthy terrain in the body.
A global approach includes cleaning the terrain, which is the same process which promotes health and vitality in the body.

In terms of specific focus, it might be wise to look into a parasite cleanse.
Incidentally, I did not notice any mention yet of black walnut.

If you post a reply to this message and would like my feedback, it would be best to send me a private message to that effect. Otherwise, I may not check this thread for a while.

***Info from the advisors at HealthNVitality***

Posted by: happyhouse ()
Date: May 24, 2009 09:59AM

Hello

Really, all in all, the ringworm should be well and truly gone - that’s a loooong time to suffer from this malady, especially with the medication that you have been on.

There is not much I can personally fault with the aforementioned responses made already, but as I do not see anyone posting about the virtues of MMS, or more commonly known as Miracle Mineral Supplement, I'll say my piece.

If topical applications are not working, then it would seem to me that this has become a chronic pathology, and gone deeper within the body - re - appearing when you become immune compromised, etc.

I would suggest reading other peoples experiences from this blog that outline other fungal conditions [www.mmshealthyforlife.com] as well as ring worm testimonials from other sufferers.

Subsequent to this, the following site I have found to be highly reputable [www.mmshealthy4life.com]

This product can be used topically to great effect, and internally with a profoundly strong anti bacterial, anti microbial, and anti viral affect...

Hope this helps...

Kind regards...

Adam

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables