Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: my ulcerative colitis comming back...
Posted by: Paul Nison ()
Date: May 13, 2009 09:39AM

Give me a call so we can talk some more if you want.
paul

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: May 20, 2009 08:42PM

Did you call Paul, herbal?

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 20, 2009 09:00PM

bun i havent seen him post since he was having a forum problem, not sure if he left permanentl or is taking some time or has dissapeared or ?

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: May 22, 2009 08:26PM

ok, thanks

Posted by: petrichor ()
Date: May 23, 2009 12:54AM

Hey Herbal,

New to the forum and fairly new to raw foods as well. I was just reading your thread and how you are struggling with the condition.

I have crohn's disease, I was diagnosed 6 years ago and have been flaring since October 08. I have dealt with the bleeding, bloating, gas, diarrhea, spending an hour sitting in the bathroom crying from pain and discomfort, came close to quitting my job, was practically bed-ridden (at every chance I got) for the full seven months. I have been to my GI, I have been to the ERs, I have taken new meds (started azothiaprine and immuran but stopped taking it after a month because I hate medication) and currently am doing a biweekly subcu inj of Humira which I've been doing for 3 years now. I became severely depressed and was at wits end, trying so many diets before I started to go raw.

I started raw exactly four weeks ago. I drink a green smoothie (fresh fruit juice blended with avocado, bananas, spinach and honey) every day, about 48 ounces, and then diluted with water for more hydration. I stayed away from salads starting out, stayed 100% away from nuts or seeds of any kind, to avoid roughage. Lots of smoothies and for dinner I made things like raw lasagna and I would eat tomatoes with a hummus and salsa dressing. ALL grains were cut out, one thing that I've noticed has made a positive difference in the past even though I've tested negative for celiac.

The first two days was a huge turnaround but I still have a ways to go. My bm's have become more formed (some actually normal), diarrhea was almost completely gone and no more blood. Within the past week and a half I have started adding nuts back, and have been eating large salads daily with olive oil and vinegar. I seem to notice some discomfort after eating anything with nuts, even if they've been soaked and blended into a banana smoothie.

After a week of daily salads it seems like the diarrhea is starting to come back, although the schedule is still becoming more normal. Therefore they will be coming back out of my diet, along with the nuts. Maybe there are foods in your diet causing roughage that you could attempt removing?

The MAIN reason I wanted to write this, is because I found the BEST quick-fix for my crohn's symptoms were fresh juices. I know you said you did a water fast, which I have done in the past as well, but nothing has worked as wonderfully as a juice fast. It is so nourishing and energizing and your digestive system still gets 100% of the rest it needs to heal. I really think you should try it, just juice a ton of fruit and dilute it with ice water (hydration does make a difference) and make vegetable juices too. I really think that if are in the same position I was, at wits end and feeling like you've tried everything, I think this is definitely worth a try.

What have you got to lose, right? I know surgery is a tempting quick-fix but it's really unnecessary and you shouldn't have to go that route.

So just my two cents, from a fellow IBD sufferer.

Posted by: Hellokitty ()
Date: June 15, 2009 10:01PM

How are you doing now. Just wondering.

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: June 16, 2009 01:15PM

petrichor , salads and nuts with Crohn's would be a rare thing to accomplish. Why are you doing this to yourself I wonder?? True, juices are on the whole very helpful and a must try, but there is a percentage of people where the juices will cause trouble. Be careful, search out what works for you and don't do things because someone else says it works for them. It may have the opposing effect for you.

Posted by: petrichor ()
Date: June 20, 2009 02:47AM

Tanawana- not entirely sure what you mean.

>"Why are you doing this to yourself I wonder??"<

I said in my posts that the salads and nuts weren't really working for me so I cut them out... to correct my symptoms... I wasn't aware that raw salads and nuts were going to have negative results; The last thing I want to do is worsen this ongoing flare. I thought I may have an easier time digesting as long as I was eating a healthy raw diet. Unfortunately I was wrong and I am working on adjusting my foods so I can fix my problem.

Salad and nuts can definitely work with some crohn's/colitis people, I've read about several. Each IBD case is different and the only way to find if something does or does not bother you is to try it. You may have to deal with consequences but nothing else can tell you if something doesn't work.

>"Be careful, search out what works for you and don't do things because someone else says it works for them."<

I'm not sure if this was directed at me or herbal, but I don't think it was towards me. I recommended a juice fast to herbal because I had great results with it. I didn't claim that herbal needs to do this and would have the same results I did, but that it was something that was worth an attempt.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables