Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Experience of water fasting
Posted by: alisonott ()
Date: June 03, 2009 04:28PM

I am considering doing a water fast later this year.

This would be my first experience of water fasting; I'd be interested to hear experiences of others who have done this type of fast.

Particularly:
- How long did you fast for and how did you find the process?
- Do you feel the benefits have been worth it?
- Where did you do the fast (I am in the UK).

Alison

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Experience of water fasting
Posted by: kwan ()
Date: June 04, 2009 04:43AM

Hi Alisonontt,
I have done a few water fasts, from as few as 1 day to as long as 17 days.

I usually find that I feel okay for 2 days, and on the 3rd day I feel a little nauseous and weak. it's at this point that I really have to reassess whether to continue or not. Everybody's different when it comes to fasting. I have a friend who's not even particularly healthy and doesn't follow a raw diet who says he has fasted for 7 days at a time without any noticeable negative effects.

The benefits are worth it when I prepare properly for it and go into it with the right focus. My best water fast was a 14 day fast that I did while camping on a beautiful island near Boston where I could just sit, take naps, drink water, swim, read, and take it easy.

My worst water fast was one I accomplished while I was working in an office when I was dead set on losing some weight. I do best when I'm able to be in a contemplative and restful mood most of the time that I'm fasting.

If I'm convinced that I will not be able to relax and take a break from most of my activities during the time I've chosen for fasting, I try to do a juice fast instead, knowing that I'll still be able to work, shop, carry on my household tasks, and be quite active, even going to the gym and working out.

Good luck!

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: June 05, 2009 05:01PM

I did a "Spiritual" fast for 2 days, about 18 years ago. It was my first fast of any type, & I really knew nothing at all about how the body worked in relation to no food. I was not really prepared for the symptoms/etc., & it was a difficult time for me. I did experience weakness & light-headed symptoms at times.

Do your research so you know what to expect. I will most likely do one in the future for several days. I recently did the "Master Cleanse" which is a 10 day "Lemonade" fast, and have also done cleansing juice fasts in the past as well,

but simply water is a different ball game, since you are basically flushing & not taking any nutrients into the body. kwan mentioned about her friend that is "not even particularly healthy and doesn't follow a raw diet who says he has fasted for 7 days at a time without any noticeable negative effects"...

I have heard Drs., nutritionists and the like express their concern for unhealthy individuals to go on extended water fasts, that too much toxins are flushed at once & it is hard on the body.

On the other hand, there are alternative healing centers that take gravely ill patients in & put them to bed for 21 days with noting but water, as a way of curing them. It does seem to work, although the toxicity/release symptoms can be unbearable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2009 05:02PM by juicerkatz.

Posted by: alisonott ()
Date: June 08, 2009 05:19PM

Thanks to both of you for your responses. I don't envisage doing the water fast until August, so I have the time to research more.

Good to hear you've gone 17 days Sharrhan; I had wanted to try at least a week.

In the mentime, I'm trying to get as clean as possible. Eating vegan; raw until dinner and planning at least one juice fast in the coming weeks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables