Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What do you use for water purification?
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: June 18, 2009 02:43AM

We have been purchasing gal. jugs of distilled water (I know, bad plastic), but we are in need of a permanent solution. I have been researching the different filter systems out there & have been considering a Reverse Osmosis/UV light system or a Distiller, under counter/counter top.

We have spring water that has been tested and it contains a lot of bad compounds, including nitrates. These are nasty compounds that are difficult to remove from the water. Just wondering if any others here deal with a similar situation? At first, I was leaning towards a whole house RO/UV filtration system, but that is very costly, upwards of 2K if the plumber installs it.

On the fence at this point, not sure how to do about fixing the situation. Would really like a whole house system, so the dishwasher/laundry/showers would be clean, etc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What do you use for water purification?
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 18, 2009 01:34PM

juicerkatz,

If I had the money, I'd buy whole house filtration; it's just more efficient. Currently, I have a charcoal filter on the showerhead, and I buy 13-step RO filtered water at a franchise that independently tests their water for purity, all above board. The receptacles are the dreaded Type 7 plastic--gasp--but I store them at stable temps out of direct sunlight and hope for the best. I have found these filters in my investigations for the future:

[www.gaiam.com]

[www.purewateressentials.com]

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: June 18, 2009 10:07PM

fruits and vegetables ;-p
(.... in other words, I get almost all my water from high water content produce)

When I have to drink water, I drink spring water. It's not that great, but it sure beats tap water.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: June 19, 2009 02:11AM

I've had Water Distillers, RO, and Water Filters. My last unit was
a three-filter Crystal Quest (see Tamukha link) that blew out a week and a half ago, and flooded 3 rooms in my house. Needless to say, I won't be using them again. I'm currently buying bottled Natural Spring Water, and will go with that
for a while.
I'm with Kwan about not needing much water.
I do miss washing my Produce with the filtered water....WY

Date: June 19, 2009 02:35AM

"fruits and vegetables ;-p
(.... in other words, I get almost all my water from high water content produce"

Cool! >>> That is what "Juicedaddy" Jay Kordich says in one of his audio series. I understand that, & I do the same, but not everyone in the family is as diligent about juicing as I am.

Plus, there is the aspect of washing clothes & showering in the "contaminated" water...There is just really no simple solution for this, at least not an inexpensive alternative.

Maybe I could do the whole house filter system & apply for a tax credit on my income tax filing next year! (Yeah, right)

I mean, if the gov't. allows all of this toxic waste material to be used on crops, dumped in streams & spewed into the air, they should be responsible for helping me clean up the mess they created, correct?

Unfortunately, we all know it doesn't quite work that way in real life...

Sorry, don't mean to turn this into a political rant. ;(

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: June 19, 2009 02:58AM

juicerkatz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Plus, there is the aspect of washing clothes &
> showering in the "contaminated" water...There is
> just really no simple solution for this, at least
> not an inexpensive alternative.
I like the Wellness Filter for my shower. It never
occurred to me to use any special water for washing clothes...WY

[www.wellnessfilter.com]

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: June 19, 2009 01:20PM

Hi juicerkatz
My well water has 6ppm of nitrate which is under the 10ppm limit generally considered safe. My neighbor's well tested at 17ppm and she considered a nitrate filter since that level is considered unsafe for young babies. My water is also acidic causing leaching of copper from pipes. Anyway, until I get a system in place I've taken steps to try to protect my well and get the best water possible out of what I have to work with..

1. Reworked street drainage issues to divert runoff away from my property

2. Regraded around well site to ensure normal rain runoff is away from well casing.

3. Added lime to landscape to help neutralize soil

4. Let water run 15 seconds to clear out any high copper water

Date: June 19, 2009 06:27PM

Those are all great suggestions. One of the problems with water quality, esp. with well or spring water, is that it can change over time; from one test to the next, ours can show very different levels of contaminants.

Part of our problem is that we live in a valley, with farmland all around upon which they fertilize heavy & also use nasty chicken manure & chemicals on as well. That is why we, and others in our situation should try to get the best possible filter system avail.

To add insult to injury, in a case like ours, we need at least an RO/UV type system, to be sure of eliminating as much as possible. The single point systems, such as the ones under a kitchen sink can be had for a couple hundred dollars,

but we still need to address the bathroom water supply. And of course, we can't use the ice maker feature on our beautiful new refrigerator.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables