Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Help with severe anxiety !?!?
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: August 02, 2009 07:09AM

I have a close family member that has been suffering with severe anxiety for probably close to 10 years. As is the case with this situation, it has gradually gotten worse. They have not taken any meds for it, & do not wish to go that route.

In fact, they are to the point right now where they are really unable to even go to a Dr. for a visit. Even the thought of going to a counselor is too much for them. They are freaked out by open/closed spaces, crowds, medical situations, more than I can list here.

This person used to be such a fun loving individual, it tears me up to see them suffering like this.

This stems mainly from a very abusive childhood, and then some abuse in adult life as well. They maintain a strained relationship with the only living parent...

They have started on the raw diet recently, and I am giving all the support I can, but I really don't know how to offer the assistance with their anxiety that they need.

So many things have been tried; diet changes, meditation, fasting, I don't know what all, but nothing seems to improve the situation.

If any of you have any experience with this at all, or can make any reasonable suggestions, we would sure like to hear them. This person desperately wants their life back!

Thank You in advance for any ideas...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with severe anxiety !?!?
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 02, 2009 09:43AM

juicerkatz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank You in advance for any ideas...
If they can do it, I'd suggest a 12-hour Water Fast,
followed immediately by a 12-hour Dry Fast. Break with fresh Juice,
or a Smoothie on the Liquid side. Have the person note how they
felt going in and coming out. They will probably be encouraged to
do more. Forced Deep-breathing will also help.
I can sympathize with this person about Doctors....WY

Posted by: RawLibrarian ()
Date: August 02, 2009 10:46AM

Some people swear by the Emotional Freedom Technique. Tons of info about it on the web, and there are videos on YouTube demonstrating the technique--it's a form of accupressure where you tap the same meridians in the body that are used in accupuncture.

It couldn't hurt, and it's completely non-invasive and drug-free.

Posted by: rawne ()
Date: August 02, 2009 11:57AM

Juicerkatz, please pm me as I would like to respond in private.

Date: August 02, 2009 12:38PM

RawLibrarian Wrote:
> Some people swear by the Emotional Freedom
> Technique.
With Anxiety, I would think the Physical Body needs a
Healing first. Then the Mental Body can be addressed.
Someone please tell me if I've missed the mark.....WY

Date: August 02, 2009 12:55PM

WY,
It all depends on the root causes of the psychological issues. While it is true that a healthy dietary & lifestyle can rebalance the chemistry of our brain, it is not a panacea, particularly if psychological issues have their roots elsewhere. That said, optimal nutrition will no doubt assist in one's overall feeling of well-being.
br

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 02, 2009 02:19PM

WY,

Agree with rawne. This is not a brain chemistry problem, which raw food can correct fairly simply. This is a psychological problem, and the psyche must be addressed first. IMO, this individual must put themselves in a mental headspace where they feel control over their condition, and a strict raw food diet may be too arduous to dive into religiously, depending on this person's mental fortitude. They shouldn't throw themselves suddenly into a lifestyle at which they could fail, because that will only add to the burden of frustration. Raw foods are chemically very helpful, though, so gentle adoption of aspects of the regimen should be encouraged. And juicerkatz seems to be doing this. Easy does it, I think.

Date: August 02, 2009 03:14PM

Rawne and Tamukha.....Two excellent responses. I'm not
entirely convinced....WY

Date: August 02, 2009 06:49PM

Thanks for the replies. I will go over the different ideas with him. He chooses to remain nameless...Only a few close family members know of the condition. He works a job where he has very minimal interaction with others, so he has been able to cope with that part of it so far.

I could see it creeping in little by little over the years. It is an utter shame; this person has an incredible musical gift, would love to be playing public again, so that part of it really bothers him as well.

He would be considered a "pro" musician by anyone who hears his work. An absolute musical genius, it comes naturally. Part of his problem is that he is such a thinking person, his mind is always in high gear; I don't know if he could tap into meditation/similar or not.

Had tried hypnosis years ago, but could not be hypnotized because of the active brain situation. Since he is unable to go to a dr. or counselor's office he is really feeling helpless.

One thing we are grateful for, he does have a very loving & supportive family. His wife fills in all the gaps for him where he is unable to, but if something were to, God forbid happen to her....he would be absolutely helpless in this condition.

Same age as me, 42. We thought maybe social interaction with him would cause things to improve with time, but it hasn't, not really at all...I know we all know of people who are suffering like this, but when you know someone personally...

He cries sometimes when talking to me..." I wasn't there for the last 10 years to go on vacations with my young children, couldn't go to school functions, church functions, I watched them grow up before my eyes & was just a bystander..."

I hear stuff like that from him all the time...

I really feel bad for him, it is a heart wrenching situation...

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 02, 2009 07:02PM

anxiety seems to run deep in the generations of my family. personally i use the EFT as mentioned above and regularly (one a month or every other month) see a therapist that allows me to blow off steam without lashing out at my loved ones. she also offers solutions that sometimes im too blindsided to see at the moment. honestly she never tells me anything that i dont already know but sometimes we get mired in fear or grief or whatever and cant always come up with the solutions even if they are right in front of our nose smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: August 02, 2009 07:50PM

Juicerkatz, I just tried to pm you but your storage space is full.
rawne

Date: August 02, 2009 08:29PM

juicerkatz Wrote:
> I don't know if he could tap into
> meditation/similar or not.
One thing is known....you don't give mentally disturbed
people Meditation. They can't do it.
I had no idea the problem was so severe. I have a friend who has a
dissimilar problem, but the solution is probably the same. You didn't
mention if he is on Medications.....at first they help, then become the
real problem.....WY

Date: August 02, 2009 08:31PM

rawne - pm box is empty now - I didn't realize 5 pms was the limit!

WY - no meds, never has been. He knows enough not to do that, plus, he couldn't even get to the dr. for a prescription! There is a homeopathic remedy that he sometimes uses when it is unbearable that seems to take the edge off, but not by much. I believe he calls it aconite.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2009 08:33PM by juicerkatz.

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: August 04, 2009 01:48PM

I have anxiety that can be debilitating sometimes. I just found a great therapist and am working (again!) through my issues surrounding abuse (which was pretty severe) It seems like a lifetime process and is sometimes daunting and painful, but also helpful. Maybe he can find a therapist who is willing to meet outside. Rescue Remedy is my band-aid for panic attacks. I have to be very mindful of what is going on in my life -- stressors, etc. as I get overwhelmed easily and don't talk about it until I start exhibiting symptoms like loss of emotional control (uncontrollable crying, moodiness, etc.). The more raw I eat and the more I exercise, the better I feel. I also need to give myself time on a regular basis to just be (by) myself, with no demands placed on me by my family -- I need "space". I have a very hard time "asking" for it (I shouldn't need to ask for it; it is really my right, but I am not there yet). I also need to put my inner critic (which has a very loud voice) in her place: "Thank you for the information, now be quiet." I, too have made a lot of mistakes as a parent, but when I look at it realistically, I did a pretty good job, considering my start in life. My grown kids think I am a wonderful mom, and that's what really matters. I hope your friend finds peace in his soul.

Date: August 04, 2009 05:47PM

Sundancer,

your story sounds very similar to my friends, whom from this point on I shall call him "John", as it is easier/more personable than saying "my friend".

He has been reading the responses intently, and is motivated by them somewhat; I have encouraged him to join in & post, but he doesn't want to do that, he is not online all that often.

I see that the Rescue Remedy is a Bach flower essence; From your experiences, how helpful is it? Of course everyone is different, but would you feel that someone with severe anxiety such as his be benefited to the point that they could interact socially, and even go into buildings/church/social functions?

The aconite that he uses doesn't seem to go that far, but if there would be something a bit more reaching/helpful/powerful, I believe he would be interested.

Again, many thanks to all who have posted; I would like to get my friend back; We used to do a lot together out in the real world, and I am about the closest person to him, I guess, because I am still willing to go over to his home & sit/chat with him, and do some limited outside the house activities that he can still take part it.

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: August 04, 2009 08:53PM

Juicerkatz--
I'm not sure if Rescue Remedy would help John with severe anxiety, but it can't hurt. It seems to take the edge off for me.

Posted by: Omega ()
Date: August 05, 2009 09:29PM

I highly recommend this book:

[www.amazon.com]

Combining the wisdom in that book with a 100% alkaline raw food diet, it is possible to truly (and naturally) heal the nervous system.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2009 09:32PM by Omega.

Date: August 05, 2009 10:05PM

Omega,

Thanks for the link. Do you have personal experience with this situation that has been helped from the info. in that book?

Date: August 06, 2009 12:15AM

*waves hello to John * !!! =)

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: August 06, 2009 03:43AM

Hi 'John',
I was extremely stressed out and anxious for years due to childhood trauma. I did a course of Redirecting Self-Therapy and it had an amazingly positive effect on me, completely dissipating the clouds of depression that had dogged me throughout my life; it was like switching on a light in a dark room! You might want to google it and check it out. Or I can send a list of good links to juicerkatz for you. The information is totally free and you can do it all by yourself, in a few minutes a day. Most people see good results within 3 months or less.

Date: August 06, 2009 11:25AM

Hi kwan,

Yes, send the links! If you want, just post them here in the thread that others' may benefit from the information as well. Hopefully it does work as well as you say. John's case is quite severe, with panic attacks that really prevent him from doing much of anything in a public setting.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: August 06, 2009 01:57PM

Here are some links to RST. Also, I've done it, and it's really easy, but in the literature online it's not always spelled out exactly how to do it. So if anyone wants a simple explanation, just PM me and I can explain it to you in simple terms. :-):

General overview:

[www.postflood.com]

How-To -- Methods One & Two:

[www.postflood.com]

[www.postflood.com]

Short Version of General Archives from Elnora Van Winkle:

[www.gocure.com]

Tosic Mind Theory:
[primal-page.com]

This information is really good, too:

"John Speyrer hosts the "Primal Psychotherapy Page", a
website about Primal Therapy - and regressive therapies
in general. John Speyrer had some correspondence with
Ellie before she passed away. Ellie provided some
information to John, which he posted on his website.
This is an easier-to-understand lay version of her theory -
well worth reading if you find Ellie's main website too
technical."

[primal-page.com]

[primal-page.com]

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Molli ()
Date: August 06, 2009 03:35PM

In addition to what other people have suggested, I would suggest practicing yoga. It is very calming.

Date: August 06, 2009 04:15PM

juicerkatz Wrote:
> John's case is quite severe, with
> panic attacks that really prevent him from doing
> much of anything in a public setting.

Hi juicerkatz,

I cannot recommend the Claire Weekes book (that I linked to above) strongly enough. It is written precisely for people in John's situation. Her book is very special.

My healing tips for John (based on my own experience):

1) Do not go to a psychologist or psychiatrist for help with this challenge. They do not understand how to heal the nervous system.

2) Listen to the sage advice of Claire Weekes. She understands how to heal the nervous system.

3) This is a PHYSICAL health challenge (and not a psychological one), and it is best and healthiest to regard it as such. This physical health challenge has psychological EFFECTS, but the effects are not the cause.

4) To make Claire Weeke's method even more effective, eat a 100% raw food diet. The more alkaline-forming foods the better, as alkaline foods tend to relax the nervous system, and acidic foods tend to irritate it.

5) Fresh vegetable juices are also an invaluable way to de-stress the body.

If money is an issue, I would be happy to buy the Claire Weekes book for you.

Cheers,

Omega

Date: August 06, 2009 08:28PM

juicerkatz Wrote:
> Omega,
>
> Thanks for the link. Do you have personal
> experience with this situation that has been
> helped from the info. in that book?

Yes – the information in that book saved my life. I am very familiar with John's predicament. For me, after 3 very difficult years, Claire Weekes provided the explanation (and solution) that I was seeking. I will always be indebted to her for her compassion and wisdom.

Date: August 07, 2009 09:18AM

Anxiety?? It's easy if you look at it a different way. I still think
it's a Physical problem causing the Mental problem, but if you don't want
to cure your Anxiety that way.....look at it this way.....simply eliminate
the Stress, or the cause of the Anxiety. Ask the question, "What brings
it On?? Then eliminate the What.
You don't need books, or Mental Health professionals. There's only one
person (that's You) who has the answer. If something's giving me a Problem,
I eliminate the Problem, and I don't think I have ever had an 'anxious moment'.
Anyway, have I oversimplified it? Works for me.....WY
P.S. I had to end a very Loving Relationship, a couple of years ago, because
it was causing me too much Stress. We can all take a little stress without any problems.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2009 09:24AM by Wheatgrass Yogi.

Date: August 07, 2009 11:09AM

"Anyway, have I oversimplified it? Works for me.....WY "

I believe you are oversimplifying it, WY...

How do you eliminate years of pain & abuse at the hands of another person that has deeply ingrained emotional scars in your psyche? maybe some folks can "think their way" out of it, but many can't.

I wish it was as easy as you suggested. I really don't believe that it is. Eliminating years of negative thoughts sounds way easier than it is in real life...

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 07, 2009 01:19PM

WY,

Right. This is clinical anxiety born of intense chronic trauma. That's waaaay different from everday acute stresses, or even prolonged moderate stresses, like a partner you don't see I to eye with. I totally agree with you that you can "will" yourself even-keel. But not if there's deep seated psychological damage with a neurochemical component. I truly believe that just eating lots of bananas and chatting yourself cheerful isn't enough to reverse such an extreme disorder.

Date: August 07, 2009 02:35PM

I aggree Yogi that you are oversimplifying this, deep debilitating anxiety cant always be solved by just removing the triggers without resolving the deeper issues.

at times years ago i would wake up, shower, get dressed head for the door , and there it was like an invisable something would grab hold of me right there and stop me. my heart would race, my mind would scramble, i could not command my arms to lift to take the doorknob into my hand turn and open it. the only thing i could do was back away and turn around and go back to bed. episodes of this would last for weeks at a time

without experiencing it Yogi, trying to explain the sheer moment of terror just trying to get through a door is really difficult, but i can assure you it is real and it is a horrible feeling !

Date: August 07, 2009 07:52PM

Tamukha Wrote:
> But not if there's deep
> seated psychological damage with a neurochemical
> component. I truly believe that just eating lots
> of bananas and chatting yourself cheerful isn't
> enough to reverse such an extreme disorder.

Brain chemistry can be healed with a raw diet and a basic education in how the nervous system works.

There was once a moving testimonial, on a previous incarnation of these forums, of a man who had been diagnosed with "schizophrenia." He ventured onto the 100% raw food path and his symptoms dissipated and then went away. He was immensely grateful to the raw food diet for his healing and expressed it powerfully in his post.

Psychology and psychiatry are presently in the dark ages when it comes to "psychopathology."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2009 07:58PM by Omega.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables