Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

colonics - mixed information
Posted by: eecho ()
Date: August 21, 2009 02:01PM

I here two opposites about colonics:

1) They clean out compacted waste that is potentially years old. This allows the digestive system to work much better. They can aid in healing and general cleansing, and you feel amazing afterward with more energy and vitality.

2) They are a hoax. Nothing sticks to the inside of the colon, its just a matter of time before it is all passed through. The fecal matter coming out is simply the stuff that was in the process of being passed already (intestines are 36 ft long).

So, whats the deal here? I was psyched to get some colonics done becuase of all the good things I've heard, but then stumbled upon a lot of information that says they really don't do anything. And since I don't want to waste my money.... what's the truth? Has anyone had it done, or know someone who has?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2009 02:02PM by eecho.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: colonics - mixed information
Posted by: alisonott ()
Date: August 21, 2009 07:29PM

I've had a colonic and felt it to be beneficial. I will do it again.

I've read a lot about bowel cleansing and seen many pictures of waste matter removed during the process (if you want a read Dr Jensen's Guide to Better Bowel Care is interesting).

My recommendation would be to go and have one and decide for yourself based on how it makes you feel.

Alison

Date: August 21, 2009 08:18PM

Well, I'm sure one feels good afterwards - I have heard many testimonies of this. However, I am wondering if this good feeling is due to 1) being cleansed and having old waste removed, or 2) stimulation from the process, and simply having waste removed that was on its way out anyway

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 21, 2009 08:23PM

personally i beleive its the stimulation smiling smiley im not convinced of the *years of impacted matter* theory ,ive seen alot of colonoscopys on various websites and even in the sickest people with colon cancer , diverticulitus , etc. their insides of the colon consists of smooth muscle tissues . where is all this years of impacted fecal matter getting stuck too?

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: mysbenson ()
Date: August 22, 2009 07:42PM

Jodi - I can tell you about the impacted fecal matter. I had a colonoscopy. It showed what looked like smooth muscle tissue. I am now in the process of a cleanse that removes old matter and mucoid plaque from the entire intestinal tract. I have gotten so much stuff out with just herbs, psyllium and bentonite. I have gotten gobs or tarry stuff, strings of old mucoid plaque, parasites. That colonoscopy looked so good because of the layer of mucoid plaque. Here's an article on it: What is Mucoid Plaque?

A slimy mucus that forms as a layer or layers covering the inner-lining-cells in various hollow organs, especially
all the organs of the digestive canal. These include the stomach, small intestine and colon.

Mucoid plaque appears to develop in the presence of acids, where the mucus is secreted and coagulates.
It can then compound with other elements, forming an increasingly firm substance.

For those who have followed the standard American diet which is acid-producing, it is common for mucoid plaque
to form a continuous cover, in layers, these layers are full of damaging toxic constituents.

Considering the potentially toxic composition of mucoid plaque it is not surprising that people sometimes
respond miraculously to the removal of mucoid plaque.

Many hundreds of testimonials have been reported from the miraculous healings from colon cleanses.

Others have had to work harder and have received slower results, yet wonderful results.

However, with the use of specific herbs in specific combinations, the body can shed
the mucoid plaque, layer after layer.

Even people who have changed their diets and eat only raw fruits and vegetables still retain the
plaque in their bowels until they take effective steps to remove it.

It is important to know that mucoid plaque seems to be the forerunner of many disease conditions

Because most people in the Western World are in the habit of eating toxic, processed and high-protein foods
(which are acid-forming foods) with, and often in between every meal, bowel problems and mucoid plaque
development are epidemic, along with gallstones, calcium problems, heart disease, cancer, chronic fatigue,
mental and emotional problems, and related disorders.

Through digestion and the absorption ability of our intestinal system we receive nutrients to feed our body systems.

When then the body attempts to absorb food, and there is mucoid plaque compacted on the intestinal
walls, this acts as a barrier to the food, then mucoid plaque and whatever elements it contains
are likely to enter the bloodstream.

And the nutrients that are needed fail to penetrate the plaque layers. Then it stands to reason that if
we have contaminated mucoid plaque in our bowels, our blood will be toxic as well.

I got this from [www.flora-source-probiotic.com]

Posted by: Omega ()
Date: August 24, 2009 03:58AM

In Dr. Gerson's experience, detoxing cancer patients had to do enemas/colonics around the clock in order to prevent the organs of elimination from becoming overwhelmed.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 24, 2009 04:55AM

Too invasive for me. I owned a Colema Board years ago, and
got good results. My feeling now is that a Water Fast can do better....
Best to cleanse from the 'top down'....WY

[www.colema-boards.com]

Date: August 24, 2009 04:59AM

Mysbenson

can you verify for me when you say cleanse do you mean a colonic or a herbal cleanse, and when you say entire intestinal tract do you mean the small, large or both>?

if you agree the smooth muscle tissue is inside the large intestine where is the mucoid plaque sticking to ? or do you mean it is in the small intestine?

a colonic cleanses the large intesinal area it doesnt go beyond or past the Ileocecal valve because the valve is a one way valve and things are not designed there to allow matter to back up into the illeum (end of the small intestine) once the same matter leaves the small intestine, this is also where digestion generally ends for the most part very little is digested once fecal matter enters the large intestine

ive been getting colonics off and on for 25 years and have heard aall sorts of the variations of the above that you posted but there is still so many unanswered questions

such is where is all this stuff sticking too? smiling smiley

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: August 25, 2009 04:28PM

For these practices there is no definitive answer. You will never find the "correct" be all to end all answer. No one knows. Arguments for both ways are very appealing and very believable.

Trying it to find out for yourself is the best bet. BUT, are you having troubles or issues where you feel the need to have one?? If not, I'd suggest don't. Even still, you can always just try one. Be careful not to associate the colonic with better health if you feel better afterwards, and don't confuse this with stimulation. Same goes with feeling worse afterwards. It is just one small piece of many that effect your state of health. Many people confuse these areas so easily.

Date: August 25, 2009 04:37PM

Um, there is a definitive answer. Dissect a colon and see if there is "compacted waste" there or not. Its yes or no, and so far it seems like no is the winner. There might be some other bad things in there, but not tons and tons of it...

Now, I agree to see for youself if it makes you feel "good", however the reason could be something other than what is popularly claimed.

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: August 25, 2009 04:45PM

Um, there is a definitive answer. Dissect a colon and see if there is "compacted waste" there or not. Its yes or no, and so far it seems like no is the winner. There might be some other bad things in there, but not tons and tons of it...

He-he, that was cute ;O)

Date: August 26, 2009 03:49PM

i agree Tanawana , both sides present very believable arguments , i guesss thats why its been such a confusing thing to me for 25 years

i have done colonics and im sure i will in the future smiling smiley

if i ever get the chance to view an autopsy i will let you know eecho lol smiling smiley

Posted by: rubyjewel ()
Date: June 20, 2010 01:29AM

Hello all, I had my first colonic done the other day and thought I'd post my experience for those interested in learning what one is like. I've been raw for about 5 years and the lady performing my colonic said it was the best colonic she's given in her 25years of performing them, I guess I am pretty clean after all these years. I found it rather awkward and will probably never do it again. After the tubes are inserted, you are filled with water and then when full the water is released. The first dose of water was cold and I could feel it under my abdomen, It wasn't painful but unpleasant. This was repeated several times while the technician massaged certain pressure points which help the colon to release whatever is in it. I looked at the tubes and didn't see a lot more than water leaving, however she said there was more being released at other times. When it was done I felt as if I had just been tortured and couldn't believe I spent my money to have that done. I asked the lady performing my colonic if the stuff leaving my body would come out naturally on its own and she said it would however this procedure will accelerate the process. My personal feeling on the matter is that if one has been on such a cleansing diet for so many years a colonic is likely not necessary. I believe the body should be able to clean out on it's own, if the person is in a healthy enough state.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 20, 2010 03:58AM

I didn't love it, that's for sure! I probably won't ever go back.
Don't you wonder about all the beneficial bacteria you're washing out of there, the kind people gobble probiotics and eat yogurt trying to get? Unless you're getting a big implant of them after each colonic/enema, I think it's possible you've done more harm than good!

And with a colonoscopy, it's true, all you see is healthy pink smooth muscle tissue. Not that I've had one myself, but that's what they look like even in heavy meat eaters.

It's just like that gall bladder flush where you drink oil and grapefruit juice, it's that combo that makes the stones you pee out, not that combo that makes you pee out stones you already had in you! All that mucoid plaque business, I think it's a big hoax. I suspect anything that comes out is From all the herbs, psyllium and bentonite, etc.

Posted by: RaysofLight ()
Date: June 23, 2010 09:58PM

It all depends on what you eat and how you eat it. My brother inhales his food! He stuffs as much a possible into his mouth, he maybe chews 2-3 times-then swallows-not a good way to begin your digestive process...Unfortunately, every Hydro-Colon provider is motivated differently-so I will refrain from judgement. People can totally destroy their digestive system on SAD with too much flesh products and poor food combinations, especially, when eaten together year after year after years!

We have Villi in our intestines which help process the food through our system.
The villi are hair-like protrusions into the intestine -emanating from the wall of the intestine. The purpose of the villi is to slow the passage of food and to allow food particles to be captured in among these finger-like villi - so that the blood inside the villi can absorb the nutrients in the food. However, if there are years of abuse, these villi can be gummed up, thickened and loose their functionality. Have you ever seen people with huge protruding guts? They look normal everywhere else and their gut is disproportionately gigantic-they can look 9 months pregnant! That's extreme, but their colons are beginning to die. They have stuck putrid fecal matter that can be 5-70+- years old preventing the villi from doing their job properly.

The cleansers that were mentioned- actually act as a big sponge-they go into the digestive system and begin to expand into a thickened gel like substance as they begin to solidify they grab on to all that rotting material and encapsulate it-thus allowing one to excrete the "old rotting crap" out. However, you can correct your digestive system with Living and Raw Foods!
My Salad for LIFE! will naturally assist you in clean healthy living! However, you may want to get a Colonic-should you begin to feel the effects of a detox coming on, a Colonic always helps, as it removes the toxins from your lower colon. A hydro-colon therapy session should never be uncomfortable, albeit having bad gas, which can be very uncomfortable or putrefied matter releasing from the wall of your colon may cause a bit of discomfort.

Remember to drink plenty of fluids/water for a few days before a colonic. 1/2 your body weight in water in ounces....at least! Many people think they are hungry when they are actually dehydrated. Most people are dehydrated. It really shows in the lower intestine. Your intestine will actually absorb the water! Stay away from coffee and anything with caffeine, as a drink. It further dehydrates people. You should always have 3 in a row-for 3 days straight. The first day-not a lot will happen if you've never had one and eat SAD, second day after all the water has been allowed to soak and absorb, you'll have more movement of putrefied fecal matter. The 3rd day is the avalanche! You will not believe it!

And yes, you do lose healthy bacteria during a Colonic, but with a healthy system-it should be able to rebuild again with little problems. Again it is a Myth that we can only get healthy bateria thru milk products.

You can make it yourself to drink-it's cheap! It's call Rejevalac or aka Kombucha. You may also give yourself an anal implant of it and hold a few ounces as long as possible.

<a href=http://www.livingfoodvillage.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=156:rejuelac&catid=46:recipes&Itemid=60</a>

<a href=http://www.livingfoodvillage.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=157:cabbage-rejuvelac&catid=46:recipes&Itemid=60</a>

<a href=http://www.livingfoodvillage.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48:losing-weight&catid=35:general&Itemid=29</a>

<a href=http://www.livingfoodvillage.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47:salad-for-life&catid=46:recipes&Itemid=60</a>

The Digestive Process:
The start of the process - the mouth: The digestive process begins in the mouth. (This is why it's important to chew, chew, chew-really well) Food is partly broken down by the process of chewing and by the chemical action of salivary enzymes (these enzymes are produced by the salivary glands and break down starches into smaller molecules).

On the way to the stomach: the esophagus - After being chewed and swallowed, the food enters the esophagus. The esophagus is a long tube that runs from the mouth to the stomach. It uses rhythmic, wave-like muscle movements (called peristalsis) to force food from the throat into the stomach. This muscle movement gives us the ability to eat or drink even when we're upside-down.

In the stomach - The stomach is a large, sack-like organ that churns the food and bathes it in a very strong acid (gastric acid). Food in the stomach that is partly digested and mixed with stomach acids is called chyme.

In the small intestine - After being in the stomach, food enters the duodenum, the first part of the small intestine. It then enters the jejunum and then the ileum (the final part of the small intestine). In the small intestine, bile (produced in the liver and stored in the gall bladder), pancreatic enzymes, and other digestive enzymes produced by the inner wall of the small intestine help in the breakdown of food.

In the large intestine - After passing through the small intestine, food passes into the large intestine. In the large intestine, some of the water and electrolytes (chemicals like sodium) are removed from the food. Many microbes (bacteria like Bacteroides, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Escherichia coli, and Klebsiella) in the large intestine help in the digestion process. The first part of the large intestine is called the cecum (the appendix is connected to the cecum). Food then travels upward in the ascending colon. The food travels across the abdomen in the transverse colon, goes back down the other side of the body in the descending colon, and then through the sigmoid colon.

The end of the process - Solid waste is then stored in the rectum until it is excreted via the anus.

Chyme - food in the stomach that is partly digested and mixed with stomach acids. Chyme goes on to the small intestine for further digestion.

Peristalsis - rhythmic muscle movements that force food in the esophagus from the throat into the stomach. Peristalsis is involuntary - you cannot control it. It is also what allows you to eat and drink while upside-down.

Hope this helps.
In Love, Light and Health,
Kelly

EXPLAINED Re: colonics - mixed information EXPLAINED
Posted by: RaysofLight ()
Date: June 23, 2010 10:00PM

I should have changed the subject box...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables