Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

birth control & PMS
Posted by: jeni jolt ()
Date: January 15, 2010 06:25AM

What do you think the safest type of birth control is?
I got an IUD inserted yesterday & I have been cramping on and off and feeling weak since then. They told me I would feel like that for a few days probably. I was a bit hesistant to get the IUD because sometimes I get really bad cramps & a fever on the first day of my period. The IUD can apparently make your periods longer & more intense. I decided to get it anyway cuz it seems like the best option.
I just went raw on january 1st. I was on vegan candida diets before I went raw (no sugar, gluten, fruit, etc.) I have read of women getting really bad periods the first couple times after going raw and after that their PMS completely went away. Has anyone had this experience? And can anyone recommend anything natural to help with cramps/fatigue/fever/bloating,etc? When i get cramps I usually take Aleve. I know it is bad but that is the only thing that seems to be strong enough.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: birth control & PMS
Date: January 17, 2010 01:54AM

Doesn't anyone have anything to share about birth control?
How about pain killers?
What is the least toxic pain killer?
Right now Aleve is the only thing that helps my debilitating cramps.
And what helps with bloating?
Help!
I have been very bloated, tired, and I have had cramps on and off since the IUD insert..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2010 01:55AM by jeni jolt.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: January 17, 2010 02:34AM

jeni jolt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have been very bloated, tired, and I have had
> cramps on and off since the IUD insert..
I'd suggest you remove the IUD, and have your partner
use Condoms....less mess too....Trojan makes an excellent
non-lubricated. It's Latex, but you can't have everything....WY

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 17, 2010 08:40AM

the whole IUD thing seems kinda freaky , the idea of some foreign metal thing up my girly bits idea never sat well with me

i was never able to conceive tho so spent my married life without birth control as apparently my uterus was a hostile environment for sperm and rejected it tongue sticking out smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 17, 2010 03:35PM

jeni,

This is a thread from a long while back that has some interesting debate about brith control:
[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

As for pain, keep taking the Alleve if it helps; there is no pharmaceutical that isn't at elast a bit toxic. Effective natural remedies for menstrual pain are cramp bark tea or kava kava tincture. Wild yam extract is a natural progesterone and can alleviate cramps, bloating, and headache. Do an internet search for homeopathic remedies that may be a good alternative. Good luck to you.

Date: January 17, 2010 08:42PM

Thanks everyone! Condoms seem to come off a lot!! I have had to get the morning after pill few times in the past year! I really hate taking that so thats one of the reasons why I decided to get the IUD. Thanks for all yr help! I will try the natural remedies you mentioned Tamukha!
I have been drinking this WOman's Tea from Yogi Tea with Juniper Berry in it which is supposed to relieve water tension but I don't think it has helped much..

Date: January 18, 2010 11:18PM

I got a PMS herbal blend with WIld Yam in it last night and it helped a lot. I am feeling better in general--back to my normal self--excpet I have been cramping a bit in the morning. Thanks guys! I'm gonna stick with the IUD for a while and see how it goes.

Posted by: meganbubbs ()
Date: January 23, 2010 07:49AM

when got my IUD I started drinking traditional medicines "female toner" it helps a lot. Search IUD"S with the " on this forum, there is a long thread on IUD's etc.

Posted by: badawie ()
Date: March 02, 2010 10:52PM

I'm really surprised no one here uses persona. It measures hormones in your pee, you test 8 times a month and it tells you whether you can safely,um, enjoy your partner, or not. It's basically the reverse of the ovulation kits...same tech just to do the opposite of have a baby!

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 03, 2010 09:45PM

badawie,

Are you in the UK? I believe Persona hasn't been approved for use in the States.

Posted by: badawie ()
Date: March 04, 2010 02:56AM

I'm not but I did buy mine there. Hmmm, I wonder why that would be. Maybe it's because it's only 83% (or something like that) effective...you have to really be strict about following it. Lifesaver for me though.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: April 12, 2010 04:47PM

just to add a few more 'off the wall' ideas...

Lunar Fertility, The Jonas Method. It's about charting the position of the moon when you were born.. yeah sounds a little weird, but basically says you can only get pregnant at that time every month.. search online, you can get the charts for free on some websites.

Also, the whole 'intending not to get pregnant' thing (discussed in Barbara Marciniak's book Bringers of the Dawn') - how women have been fooled into thinking they have no control over their own fertility.. it's a very interesting concept winking smiley

Free Newsletter: [bit.ly]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Blog: [RawFoodScotland.co.uk]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 14, 2010 02:34AM

if the persona method is used, be for-warned; i heard sperm can stay active in the vagina for up to 5 days; so a day you 'can't' get pregnant may a day or two before you can. This is just word on the street, i did not research this myself- but better safe than sorry.

Date: April 14, 2010 11:25AM

Though I am menopausal now, I used to use 4 methods at once (being a fertile woman):
Rhythm method (monthly cycles) to determine ovulation,
mucous test (stringy=fertile vs. tacky)
salivary salinity (read with a magnifying lense)(ovacue is one kit I found online)
and basal temperature (read first thing each morning (a rise means fertility)

Here is a link with additional information
[www.conceivingconcepts.com]

Date: April 17, 2010 03:43AM

007 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> salivary salinity (read with a magnifying
> lense)(ovacue is one kit I found online)

yes indeedy, sperm can certainly live in the inhositable evirons of the poonany for an incredible 4 or so days. However, a device that measures salivary salinity will give you an indication of fertility approximately four days before actual ovulation. That's why it's the Best form of birth control out there IMHO.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: April 18, 2010 10:15PM

Ive heard alot of bad stuff about the IUD, but anyway keeping your hormones as balanced as possible will help minimize the symptoms.

using digestive bitters, helps cleanse the liver inturn the liver can metabolize the excess hormones better.

foods rich in vitamin bs such as rice bran, oat bran, seaweeds, nettle leaf etc also help the liver break down excess hormones, whilst feeding the flora which also helps.

adaptogens herbs such as jiaogulan, ashwagandha, suma root, schizandra are good at balancing the hormones. Other phytoestrogen rich herbs are good too.

Date: April 18, 2010 11:56PM

aren't you a dude, dude? no offense but really... 8/

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: April 19, 2010 08:05PM

coco are you meaning me lol, yes i am a dude but i still know about a basic/good understanding of herbology/natural healingsmiling smiley.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: April 23, 2010 07:41PM

Jeni - I had an iud for years - at the time it was a good contraceptive choice for me. BUT it does make your periods heavier and more painful. I always avoided the one called the 'marina' because that has hormones in it that basically stop you bleeding but is known to make people very depressed.

After many years I just 'felt' that I had had this foreign object in me for long enough and so I had it removed.

It's a difficult choice for women isn't it. The success or not with condoms is down to the wearer in my experience - some men are great with them, others er not so!!

I hope it all works out ok for you

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables