Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

update on using baking soda for teeth
Posted by: jackie ()
Date: May 02, 2010 01:07PM

I read these boards often, and find information that is interesting here. One item was using baking soda to brush my teeth. Sounds healthy, effective, and I had no problem with it.

So, for about 3 years I used baking soda daily to brush my teeth, using hydrogen peroxide swished around my teeth and gums prior to sleeping. My teeth looked good, my gums were healthy, no plaque buildup on my teeth. Great!

I told my dentist about this, and he said that was an old remedy (1920s or earlier) for gingivitis and other gum problems. When I was seeing him, no damage had started so no cavities.

About 2 years ago I started getting a lot of little cavities. Some got larger. My new dentist told me that using the baking soda was scouring away the enamel on my teeth, making it easier for cavities to form. Took a while for this to happen, but it was huge.

Moral of the story: If you are going to use baking soda, use it on your dentures not your teeth! The peroxide is OK if you have bleeding gums, but not really necessary otherwise.

It was a very expensive lesson, but lesson learned.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: update on using baking soda for teeth
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: May 02, 2010 01:16PM

I have read reports from the raw community/ on forums, etc., that consuming a large amount of green juices/green smoothies on a regular basis will actually rebuild tooth enamel.

Posted by: jackie ()
Date: May 02, 2010 01:22PM

Could be true! I am still drinking my mostly green smoothies, and so far, so good.

Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: May 04, 2010 07:47PM

I'm sorry that this happened to you jackie. I've read several accounts (some from dentists) that baking soda is far too abrasive for teeth.

Like greens, pineapple is also excellent for teeth. Acid is one of the major causes of tooth decay. Fresh pineapple leaves your mouth alkaline. My pH goes from about 6.5 to 8 after eating a piece of pineapple. It is sometimes recommended to gum surgery patients for faster healing, possibly because of a combination of the alkalinity, vitamins, and bromelain's anti-inflammatory effect. It's something else you or anyone else have tooth or gum problems may want to look into.

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: May 05, 2010 01:30AM

oh-
just saw the dentist for the first time in 4 years.
they used 'dental pumice' instead of the paste (per my request that whatever they use be verifiably gluten-free) and that dental pumice was indeed baking soda.

i've used a baking soda/sea salt/clove/cinnamon mix alternating with just a brush and water, or tom's of maine for the last year, and just brush or tom's of maine for the last 9 years.

report-
some tartar build up, but not bad. no cavities. nothing else to report. i've also had 3 kids in the last 5 years, so i'm very relieved that cavities didn't result from that strain on my body.

but will definitely use less baking soda paste after reading this!
thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables