Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Kidney Stones
Posted by: kheaton4 ()
Date: May 13, 2010 04:17AM

My new doctor told me that too much leafy vegetables and nuts could cause kidney stones, since they contain oxalates. Has anyone heard this or any other dietary suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kidney Stones
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 13, 2010 10:52PM

Please politely tell your doctor that kidney stones are generally typical of a meat based diet(which your doctor should already know).

[kidney.niddk.nih.gov]

The easiest way to prevent kidney stones is to eat hydrating foods(like fresh fruits and vegetables), drink plenty of fluids(like juiced fruits and vegetables), and to avoid eating acidifying foods that could cause calcium build-up in the urine(like animal based proteins).

Date: May 14, 2010 03:46AM

I haven't had meat in almost 4 years! So, what are they from?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 14, 2010 02:15PM

Um, do you actually have kidney stones, or is this just something your doc is warning you about? If you already have them, examine whether you are eating a sufficiently alkaline diet(don't know if you are medium, high, or 100% raw) and getting enough water, either in fruits and vegetables or on the side. The incidence of kidney stones is very high among airline pilots because they cannot drink enough water to stay adequately hydrated because they cannot take frequent bathroom breaks. So really, making sure the urine is diluted is the best way to prevent calcium build-up in the form of stones.

I haven't experienced kidney stone formation and I consume a lot of greens, mostly juiced or blended. The thing about greens is that, being alkaline, they actually prevent the calcium ratio problems that are the root cause of kidney stones.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: May 14, 2010 03:39PM

high oxalate containing vegetables can aggrevate existing kidney diseases and or cause kidney stones.

it is usually controlled by eating a low oxalate diet.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 15, 2010 11:16AM

The most common type of stone contains calcium. Calcium that is not used by the bones and muscles goes to the kidneys. In most people, the kidneys flush out the extra calcium with the rest of the urine. People who have calcium stones keep the calcium in their kidneys. The calcium that stays behind joins with other waste products to form a stone. The most common combination is called calcium oxalate.

A struvite stone may form after an infection in the urinary system. These stones contain the mineral magnesium and the waste product ammonia.

A uric acid stone may form when the urine contains too much acid.

Cystine stones are rare. Cystine is one of the building blocks that make up muscles, nerves, and other parts of the body. Cystine can build up in the urine to form a stone. The disease that causes cystine stones runs in families.

ttp://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/stones_ez/

Date: May 17, 2010 03:37AM

I'm vegan, but haven't gone raw. Any suggestions for starting?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 18, 2010 11:08AM

stop cooking. it was wierd at first for me, but then I got the hang of it, just putting real food in my mouth.

Seriously though, green smoothies rock: fruit, leafy greens and a little water in the blender. A great meal or snack. Make sure you chew it anyway.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables