Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Lasik surgery
Posted by: jeni jolt ()
Date: May 17, 2010 02:09PM

What do you think abiut Lasik surgery?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lasik surgery
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: May 17, 2010 03:50PM

I'm planning to get it. Important thing is to get a good surgeon. Rates of complications and risks go down as # of procedures go up. I would be willing to fly somewhere for a better surgeon if I knew he had significantly more skill. Fortunately, I live in the DC area where we have some of the best.

I plan to purchase a lifetime package for my procedure that includes any future adjustments or corrections instead of the $300 per eye quotes which I don't trust. Good luck to you.

Paul

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: May 18, 2010 10:58AM

pborst Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm planning to get it. Important thing is to
> get a good surgeon. Rates of complications and
> risks go down as # of procedures go up. I would
> be willing to fly somewhere for a better surgeon
> if I knew he had significantly more skill.
> Fortunately, I live in the DC area where we have
> some of the best.
>
> I plan to purchase a lifetime package for my
> procedure that includes any future adjustments or
> corrections instead of the $300 per eye quotes
> which I don't trust. Good luck to you.
>
> Paul

Paul,

Have you looked into alternative healing/improvement methods? Such as the Bates method and pinhole glasses? I was having difficulty with close vision/focus when reading small electrical schematics,

but I can honestly say that after using pinhole glasses for maybe 20 min. a day, and increasing my green juices & smoothie consumption, my close work vision has improved dramatically.

Rarely will I reach for a pair of reading glasses now for schematic reading, unless I am in very poor lighting...

For me, the last thing I would want is someone operating on my eyes...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 18, 2010 11:04AM

I agree with juicerkatz. Surgery is surgery. My eyes have also improved with alternatives. I have known of some who had the surgery and wished they had not.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: May 21, 2010 02:41AM

I have heard reports of raw foodies getting rid of reading glasses and long distance glasses after being on program for a while. I have limited experience with the Bates method but am skeptical since it can't affect the shape of the eye which is what causes near sightedness. I also have astigmatism. I don't have a problem with Lasik as long as the risks are manageable. And the risk of complications is pretty low with the right surgeon.

Paul

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: May 23, 2010 10:51PM

I had Lasik surgery and have been VERY happy with the results. I had different problems when I wore glasses (slipping, distortion) or contact lenses (dust) when I played tennis and now I have no problems at all. I especially like not worrying about sanitation with contact lenses. Of course, lots of people in their 40's and 50's need glasses for reading and Lasik only corrected my distance vision (so I do use reading glasses).

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: May 24, 2010 10:07PM

had lasik in 2004, before making a lot of life decisions i've made since. i would probably make a different decision now, but have to say that i've LOVED it. absolutely thrilled with the results. i still have my close-up vision for reading/jewelry making, but can see anything i need 20/20.

no regrets. and i have life-time updates, but hope to not need them now that i'm so much healthier!

Date: May 25, 2010 12:53AM

I have never heard of the "life-time updates" and doubt many people getting correction for nearsightedness would need them. At least I haven't had any problems in 12 years.

Unfortunately, at middle age it is common for adults to need reading glasses because the eye's lens becomes less flexible (presbyopia). That's why people who have glasses to correct for poor distance vision need to get bifocals in middle age and why even though I have perfect distance vision because of Lasik surgery, I need reading glasses for near vision tasks. (Lasik can correct for nearsightedness, but not also farsightedness.)

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 25, 2010 02:06AM

What about pain? They were using a knife the last time I checked. I don't want to have to take any pain meds. If it was just a matter of flashing a lasar, it probably wouldn't hurt.

Also, does anyone know of exercises for near-sighted people (those who cannot see far away)? Bragg's used to have a book on it and they have not put out a new version yet.

Date: May 25, 2010 02:30AM

Yes it is surgery and I had pain medication. I didn't feel anything during the surgery, of course. I can understand why some people wouldn't want any surgery that wasn't absolutely necessary. However, for me to have one day of mild discomfort and hassle (having my husband drive me home and being blindfolded for that evening) was worth the years of not dealing with contact lenses or glasses.

My favorite raw vegan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables