Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

how often should I have a movement?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 18, 2010 02:44AM

Since I have gone 100% raw I only @#$%& every other day. On the days I don't go I feel really uncomfortable. Is this normal?

I have about 2 green salads a day, fruits and about 3/4 cups of nuts and a raw vegan protein shake in the morning for protein. Other than that, I only drink water and drink at least 8 cups a day.

Any suggestions for how I can increase my eliminations?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how often should I have a movement?
Posted by: Trive ()
Date: July 18, 2010 08:25AM

No, I don't think that's normal. You shouldn't feel uncomfortable. Also, I think once a day is normal. It sounds like you're fine with the green salads (unless maybe they have lots of starchy vegetables in them?)

How much fruit are you eating? I'm sure that fruits help me keep regular. You might want to try one dried prune a day. They always do the trick for me.

3/4 cups of nuts seems like too much to me, but I know that people have different views on how much fat per day is okay. (I try for 10% to 15% of my daily intake, but I sometimes go over. You might want to enter what you eat in a day on www.fitday.com to see what your percentage of fat is. It may surprise you.) I have never heard that nuts are binding, but perhaps they are.

I have always heard that I "should" drink 8 cups of water a day, but find I can't (well... I just really don't want to). You're doing great, though.

Hope that helps.

My favorite raw vegan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2010 08:27AM by Trive.

Date: July 18, 2010 03:27PM

I haven't eaten any starchy veggies...only greens, sprouts and fruits, both sweet (strawberries, cherries, apples, pears, peaches) and savory (bell pepper, tomatoes, avocados)

yesterday 26% of my calories came from fat. Is that too much?

I also had 40 grams of fiber.

It makes me wonder if it is the quality of the water I'm drinking or if my colon is out of shape or twisted up.

When I do "go" it is usually somewhat hard and there are round pebble-like clusters.

It makes me wonder if I should have colon hydrotherapy, but I don't know if that would be treating the symptom or the cause. I'd like to treat the cause.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 18, 2010 05:18PM

milli,

That seems like a lot of fat to me. Fat can be constipating, and even if vegetal, hard on the liver. I'd try cutting back on that, and also mono eating--not combining fruits with one another or mixing different veggies with one another or with fruit, and see if that helps. Good luck smiling smiley

Date: July 18, 2010 05:57PM

Dude, does not sound right at all.

Blend up some prunes in your smoothies. I use that for the kids and it always works.

Date: August 03, 2010 02:14PM

I have read the book about the Hunza people by Dr.Jay Hoffman. The Hunza people live into their 100's and they are very regular. They go up to three times a day. Exercise and drinking alot of clean water helps.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: August 03, 2010 11:35PM

How long have you been raw? If it's only been within the last several months, I imagine that your body is adjusting to the new diet. Maybe more "roughage" in the form of unpeeled organic carrots, Swiss Chard, etc. I don't know if you used to take any laxatives but people can get addicted to them and lose the ability to go naturally. Peristalsis doesn't occur and they lose tone "down there." I dunno-just a few thoughts...Good luck!

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: August 04, 2010 02:03AM

Try eating a whole head of romaine lettuce everyday. This should get you to be regular.

When I first started raw, I was having 3 or so bowel movements a day. Nowadays, 9 years later, I do it once a day.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables