Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Kidney Stones
Posted by: kheaton4 ()
Date: August 03, 2010 02:58AM

I'm considering going raw to treat my IBS symptoms, but have heard from doctors that oxalates in leafy greens and nuts can cause kidney stones! I've had stones for a few years and have been vegan for about a year. Has anyone had stones from being vegan or raw?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kidney Stones
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 03, 2010 01:40PM

One common cause of kidney stones is an acidic diet: lots of animal tissue, overcooked, denaturized proteins and refined starches and fats. The kidneys' waste is a delicate balance of acidity, and when it tips too far over into acid, the body marshalls a combination of alkalyzing substances, mostly minerals, to help neutralize the situation. If this is chronic, a buildup pf minerals[stones] result. The other common cause is too much uric acid from animal protein, which likewise results in stones. Thus, the mineral buildup isn't the problem--it's the body's attempt at a solution to a problem, that itself becomes problematic.

These two circumstances are exacerbated by dehydration; lots of meat eaters never get acute kidney stone disorders because, while they may get calcifications, they drink enough water and eat enough alkalyzing, low toxin plant foods to break those calcifications down and urinate them out. Your doctors may have forgotten all of this from when they learned it in second year premed smiling smiley

A vegetarian raw foods diet is high in water, low in uric acid, and high in balanced minerals. I haven't developed kidney stones on raw, and I haven't heard of anyone else developing them, but someone else may chime in.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: August 03, 2010 11:37PM

I think that raw oxalic acid does not do this; it's the cooked stuff that it bad for you. Same with raw, assimilatible calcium in the form of greens versus pasteurized dairy and calcium tablets. I just will never believe that you can compare raw veggies to the other stuff.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: August 04, 2010 01:59AM

I would say a high protein diet, like one that includes lots of animal products, is the major cause of kidney stones. Spinach is high in oxalic acid, and if you are worried, eat lettuces instead.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: August 05, 2010 12:52AM

Prana, do you think that uncooked oxalic acid would be harmful to the body? I have heard that lettuce has opiates but that doesn't mean it would be bad for the body. I just cannot believe that spinach is unhealthy.

Posted by: kheaton4 ()
Date: August 05, 2010 03:41AM

Where did you read or hear that raw food doesn't cause stones?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 05, 2010 01:06PM

kheaton4,

If you're asking for published research, there isn't any. I'm just going by the general experience of raw foods vegetarians, and by the basic biochemistry that I discuss in my first response, above.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables