Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Has anyone been diagnosed with permanent brain damage, and then reversed it?
Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: August 08, 2010 04:58AM

Just wondering if anyone has had the diagnosis of permanent brain damage, and then gone on a raw food diet and managed to heal a part of their brain that was considered "incurable?"

Just wondering.

I just discovered that part of my health problems could be due to the fact that I was fed chloride-deficient formula as an infant for six months. (Anyone else born in 1978-1979 and fed Neo-Mull-Soy? I would love to talk to you!!!! Can't find anyone to talk to on the internet!)

I have never quite been able to pin down my health problems - but one of the symptoms is just not being able to follow conversations and process information quickly - sort of like Auditory Processing Disorder, or word retrieval problems... i figured maybe I had a mild form of ADD but despite diet changes it hasn't seemed to let up. I also have a lot of anxiety and depression, not related to any life events... other than not really able to get very far financially because of being a little "slow".... sometimes I feel fine, but mostly I feel sluggish and blah and not able to enjoy my life. The raw food diet helps significantly but I wonder if I will ever really be able to think like other people do! Not in a fog!!

Talk to y'all later!
Angie

Me (30), Joseph (24 mo.) Jeremiah (4 mo.)

We are enjoying spring and being outside!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Has anyone been diagnosed with permanent brain damage, and then reversed it?
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: August 08, 2010 10:21PM

well, my brother in law travis did, except it wasnt on raw, and his brain damage was caused by being hit by a train... so im not sure if thats really all that helpful to yousad smiley sorry.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Re: Has anyone been diagnosed with permanent brain damage, and then reversed it?
Posted by: Ariel55 ()
Date: August 09, 2010 06:07PM

I've got the same prob as you as does my son, and my sisters kids,I'm not sure whether this is permanant brain damage or just neurons misfiring, Mine started after I overdosed on Seroxat?paxil which is a fluoride drug and also damages the mitochondria and I think it is possible to get neuron receptor death which is not dx which can causes things like auditory processing delay but if the neuron receptor sites have died I don't think it is likely to be repaired. The whole brain stuff is really complex area, many neurologists do not really understand the brain and nervous system, you just have to try some things and see what works for you.

Some people say they have reversed MS so I believ some brain problems are reversible, there are few links on line google it. I've tried MS diets but they made my probs worse not better

I guess it depends how much of a disability you have got as mild audiotry delay may be reparable but more severe may involve neuron receptor death, there is so little known on this that it is difficult to tell

I believe my auditory processing is permanant as nothing I've done so far has reversed it and I've tried most things,that are said to repair brains, diet helps a little but not enough, my son has it too due to cord round neck at birth causing hypoxia lack of oxygen, at birth plus he went into a coma after his MMR jab, in 91 although he has improved so much , but he still does have profound auditory processing problems but then again he could play chess at two and is gifted musically, so I have found it really helpful to focus on the things you are good at, and celebrate those things, rather than feel a failure for not repairing it 100%

There are some courses as well that claim to help rewire the neural pathways, but I was not able to afford them as they were hugely expensive and involved like 6 months intensive for adults ie 6 hours a day, I've read that some children with autism with auditory delay do improve with this type of thing, as their neural pathways are more maleable.

Do you also have difficulty organising things and information?

I find simple raw fruit and greens and fats and seaweeds diet the best for me, also I use medicincal mushrooms such as lions mane but no stimulants such as cacao.

There was study done that showed it could repair neurons by stimulating NGH nerve growth hormone and partially reverse alzheimers.

[www.ultimateimmune.com]

Good luck, if you find any other info please post it as I'm also interested

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2010 06:21PM by Ariel55.

Posted by: Ariel55 ()
Date: August 09, 2010 06:23PM

Curator Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> well, my brother in law travis did, except it
> wasnt on raw, and his brain damage was caused by
> being hit by a train... so im not sure if thats
> really all that helpful to yousad smiley sorry.

How did your brother repair his, did he get rehabilitation therapy, as I believe these therapies can also help with things like auditory delay, but they are not usually offered

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: August 09, 2010 08:50PM

there are videos though i don't know the name of them

that help with that

someone i encountered a while back

had been in a car accident

and auditory processing was one out of MANY MANY things that he had to rewire again

other stuff he had to relearn was how to tie his shoes, walk, talk, listen, write , move his arms ,etc.

and he was a medical professional

it took him a few years of doing all and EVERYTHING he could get his hands on

and just persevere with all the exercises, video game things that were especialy configured to rewire brain processing, physical therapy etc.

but his auditory processing is perfect now

and he is articulate

and he can walk now

and read and write

but he was just extraordinarily determined

and he just kept at the exercises

it was very dark period for him for a few years

but he credits his wife for helping him endure and persevere

he says he still has a few residual cerebral problems

but to be honest, i can't tell and no one else can tell either

but that's not necessarily a good thing

but on the up side

he has improved 95%

Date: August 09, 2010 09:07PM

Ariel, he didnt do anything, he just went in for one of his tests, and they said it looked like his brain was starting to repair itself, a year or so later he was normal again in every way, but still at the same mental age in which he was hit, but has been improving, basically growing up, since then...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: angelpie ()
Date: August 10, 2010 11:25PM

Hi! It is awesome that you are eating properly in order to improve the damage that was done when you were young. There are also physical exercises that will help your synapses hook up properly. Kinesthetic exercises and eye exercises will help re-train your brain. In a study that I read recently, it has been discovered that despite popular belief, brain cells do regenerate albeit slowly. Be patient, eat nutritious food, and do the exercises that stimulate your brain. One way that brain damaged people help their brains rejuvenate is to crawl on their hands and knees. In fact, children who are delayed walkers and spend longer crawling do better in reading and writing. I know that you said that you feel that you have an auditory processing problem but please look into exercises for visual processing disorders along with finding kinesthetic exercises. I am sure that you will find them to be beneficial and your insurance will sometimes pay for these. I haven't researched online if you can find any free ones readily available, but do try. And even if they seem very silly, they actually do work!!!
Love, Melissa Halsted

Date: August 12, 2010 06:30PM

mELISSA

do u have any links, books, or resources that are specific?

they sound very interesting

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: August 12, 2010 07:14PM

I was fed canned evaporated milk with a little bit of caro syrup as an infant. I guess nursing went by the way side in my days. That would probable answer a lot of questions on just what is my problem. I just don't focus on it. I never thought of my brain being damaged by it. Maybe thats why I cant spell worth a darn and all the other odd problems that follow me around like a shadow puppet. What a thought. Damn, life sucks sometimes. I am beginning to think eating raw will heal just about anything including and especially the brain. At least its better than eating cheatoos tainted with msg. and all the other foods the industry dish out to us in the guise of food.
I would say just give raw food a try for a while and experiment

Date: August 13, 2010 12:47AM

Hello~
I would like to first say that the people on here who are experiencing brain damage are excellent writers, so please honestly give yourself props for that. Some people who are pretty sure of their intelligence are not as good at communicating as you are.
Here is one specific resource that I used for my daughter when I lived in California:
[www.optometrists.org]
Dr Susan Daniels is an an absolute angel and her staff is extremely knowledgeable and kind. My daughter jumped 3 grade levels in reading in less than two months under their care which was a once a week session with practice at home nightly.
I also use to know of a really good kinesthetic awareness therapist but her name is eluding me right now. I found an article that addresses some of the issues that this type of deficit affects but it is really technical. The up-side is that it is only 3 pages long. I don't know this will be of any use:
[www.ldam.org]
I think vision therapy is the most beneficial smiling smiley

Date: August 13, 2010 07:56AM

Oh, one thing I should point out, which I doubt I will be very popular for on here, but the main building blocks of your brain, needed for both its development, and healing, is LDL cholesterol... most people dont need animal products however to maintain a safe enough level of LDL, its always worth checking out your levels to see where you are however... its actually used by every cell in your body to help reinforce their cellular structure, the amounts vary in different cells depending on how hard or permeable they need to be, amongst other factors, but is used the most by your brain, eyes, and cardiovascular system.

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: August 13, 2010 10:16AM

hi melissa

thanks for the links
smiling smiley

i tried getting the second one to open but it didn't open

i'll try it again

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 13, 2010 07:19PM

I'm starting to think I have the same issue. I am not really sure exactly what could have caused it, as there are so many links to damaging your brain cells. I recently have decided to go Vegetarian after eating meat for several years. Growing up I was vegetarian, however I realized as soon as I started eating meat products, my health has deteriorated. I've been diagnosed with depression and ADHD...tried numerous medications, but I feel like the issues are not being resolved and I am poisoning my body.

Moving on my sister is an optometrist, and learned about vision therapy in school. I haven't had her do it on me, but I'm sure she would. She's told me that many young children diagnosed with ADHD and have had vision therapy performed and have seen strides in their "intelligence."

I would like to know if anyone else has any suggestions on how to help increase brain capacity. I've recently also signed up for Lumosity to help train my brain in focusing, etc. It's fun but finding the motivation to do it can be challenging, since I'm a huge procrastinator. I believe reading and learning a new language can also help. I realize that in the beginning it may be difficult since it takes longer to process, but as time goes on and the more you practice, it will become easier.

Date: August 13, 2010 08:04PM

Hi la_veronique,
I opened the second link from this page but it took a bit longer than usual, so at least I know it's working although I don't know how helpful it will be, it is just basic information.
snehag,
Yes, if there was only a therapy for improving procrastination I think many people would be so much more successful, including ME!!! I like how you used quotations on the word "intelligence". When I spoke to the vision therapist optometrist, she said that childrens IQ will often score "artifically" low if a visual processing disorder is present. This is because the tools that the person doing the testing are inadequate to judge intelligence if a person has a visual processing disorder. It's like telling a blind person to read a regular print book and then saying that their IQ is 0 because they weren't able to read a word of it. Visual processing disorders are really misunderstood because a person can have perfect eyesight, yet can't read due to the way that the brain processes the information. The person may see large holes in the print, the words may fall off the page, the information may scramble itself, or present itself backward. It effects everything, speaking, balance, coordination, computation, large and small motor skills. So their "intelligence" does seem to improve after the therapy is completed. I think that their real intelligence just gets to finally shine through smiling smiley
Love, Melissa Halsted

Date: August 14, 2010 03:54AM

hi angelpie

oh.. thanks

i will take your advise and wait it out LOLsmiling smiley
i guess i expect everything to have been done YESTERDAY!! ha ha

Date: August 14, 2010 09:44AM

yeah, I scored 80 something on the childrens IQ test at 5, they figured out I had Dyslexia, 2 years worth of therapy, and I had to be tested on the adult test to accurately get my IQgrinning smiley so yeah, its not that I became more intelligent and knowledgeable cause of the therapy, it just allowed my real intelligence to get past my inability to visually process the world around me correctly by training my brain to process the information correctly... Sometimes I wonder though if I still see things different than others do, like, when me and a person with a normal brain look at a tree, do we see the same tree?

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: Janabanana ()
Date: August 14, 2010 03:22PM

If you weren't adequately talked to and communicated with as an infant your speech and listening wiring my need to be regenerated and made more lush. After the peak of my kundalini awakening I lost some of my powers of speech...largely through not having people of the same wavelength to talk to. So I started taking nootropics...and got my verbal fluency back pretty quickly. Besides high dose vitamin C, Omega 3 and greens, herbs like Gotu kola, Ginseng, Ginkgo and Rhodiola rosa will help protect and build nerve function.

3. NOOTROPIC FORMULA:

Definition: Noo=mind, Tropic=affecting. I started using nootropics four years after my peak because I still was not getting enough cognitive performance with the calming neurotransmitter formula. With the nootropics I found brain performance picked up and speech is more forthcoming, I don't search for words. Productivity and visual acuity has increased also. Mix together the powders of the following:

DMAE, Piracetam, HUPERZINE-A w/VINPOCETINE, Arginine Proglutamate, Acetyl L-carnitine and L, Lysine, Dimethylglycine, N-Acetyl-Cysteine, Ribose, Phosphatidylserine - (or cheaper lecithin grandules)
You can mix the nootropics in with the antioxidant formula and take around a teaspoon a day. Or you can just add Magnesium Ascorbate for vitamin C. Plus 1-2 B Complex/day

When you start taking nootropics you might feel a little kick as your brain starts to power up. At first the stimulating effect is more noticable, then the heightened level becomes you. Until you stabilize with the supplements at a higher order of performance it is best to take plenty of nature walks and grass lying time for the first few weeks in order to process and integrate. To learn more about nootropics go to The Cognitive Enhancement Research Institute website at ceri.com and follow Ward Dean M.D. and his smart drug books and articles at vrp.com
[biologyofkundalini.com]

Posted by: Janabanana ()
Date: August 14, 2010 04:10PM

NOOTROPIC FORMULA: (Definition: Noo=mind, Tropic=affecting.)
Mix together the powders of the following:
DMAE, NADH, Piracetam, Huperzine, Vinpocetine, Arginine Proglutamate, Acetyl L-carnitine and L, Lysine, Dimethylglycine, Choline, Pyroglutamic acid, N-Acetyl-Cysteine, Ribose, Phosphatidylserine, Lecithin, Phenylalanine, Taurine, Glutamine, Vitamin C, Magnesium Ascorbate. Plus 2 or more B-Complex a day.

Information on brain enhancers can be found at:
www.lef.org/ —Life Extension Foundation;
www.vrp.com/ — Ward Dean M.D. and his smart drug books and articles
www.cassmd.com/ —Hyla Cass M.D and Patrick Holford.
www.ceri.com —The Cognitive Enhancement Research Institute
[www.nootropics.com]

Inducing Nerve Regeneration: Exercise (especially aerobic exercise) is the best prevention of age related memory loss, as exercise increases neurogenesis…that is it grows new nerve cells and makes new connections. Running increases glucocorticoid levels in rodents and humans while paradoxically enhancing structural plasticity, including adult neurogenesis dendritic spine density, and dendritic complexity in the hippocampus. Running also increases blood flow to the brain, improves cardiovascular fitness, and stimulates angiogenesis, all factors that could lead to improved neuronal growth and, ultimately, enhanced brain function.

Blocking stress-induced increases in corticosterone levels prevents detrimental effects on adult neurogenesis, dendritic complexity, and anxiety. Reducing cortisol is important as cortisol suppresses cytokines, which mediate growth factors. Hydergine, may work along the same lines as NGF in terms of stimulating neuronal growth. Alpha Lipoic acid improves nerve blood flow, reduces oxidative stress, and improves distal nerve conduction. R-Lipoic acid is far more effective for nerve repair. Studies have demonstrated that Acetyl-l-carnitine significantly enhances peripheral nerve generation (by 2000% in one study).

Nerve Growth Enhancers: Lion's Mane mushroom increases the production of Nerve Growth Factor (NGF) in the brain, improving the maintenance, survival and regeneration of neurons during adult life and preventing memory loss and dementia that comes with age as NGF declines. (www.fungi.com sells the spores for growing). In one study, using 1% Ashitaba dry powders, a 20% increase of Nerve Growth Factor (NGF) concentration was noted after only four days! Olive leaf, Flaxseed oil and Grapeseed oil helps nerve cells via supporting the cell membranes and myelin sheaths. The best nerve regrowth agent found in one study was Milk Thistle Extract, which was found to grow more neurites (branches of nerve cells necessary for their normal function and that aid in the regeneration of new cells), but it also helped nerve cells alive longer.

Ashwagandha, Ginger, Ginseng, Grapeseed and Vinpocetine. The following are herbs that have multiple reports of potential benefits in neuron protection and repair: Curry, Fish oil especially DHA, Green Tea, Licorice, Forsythia, Lonicera, Sage, Tumeric. The anti-inflammatory properties of tumeric decreased lipid peroxidation, mitochondrial dysfunction, and apoptosis. Also a flavonoid from the root of Scutellaria (Scute) is a powerful anti-inflammatory with potent neuroprotecting properties. It diminished inflammation in glial cells by reducing lipopolysaccharide-induced tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha), interleukin-1beta, and nitric oxide (NO) production. Scute also offered nerve protection from damage by protein kinase C, by oxygen/glucose deprivation and the excitotoxic injury by N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA).

Brain Protection and Energy: Nutrients that support energy production in the brain and protect it from damage include: Coenzyme Q10, N-acetyl cysteine (NAC), Glutathione, Carnosine, Trimethylglycine, Tyrosine, and Vinpocetine, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Choline, DMAE, Inositol, B12, Pantothenic acid, Magnesium, N-acetyl carnitine, Lipoic acid, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and Omega 6 and 3. Anthocyanadins (purple pigment in plants), bioflavonoids, pycnogenol.

Nootropic herbs: Agaricus Mushroom, Albizzia bark, Ashwagandha, Bacopa, Calamus root, Celastrus paniculatus seeds, Dong quai, Fo-Ti, Ginkgo Biloba, Gotu Kola, Ginseng, Gynostemma, Kava Kava Root, Mucuna pruriens, Rehmannia Root, Reishi, Rhodiola rosa, Schizandra, Siberian Ginseng, Spirit Poria Mushroom, St. John’s Wort, Succinum resin (Hu Po), Sutherlandia frutescens, Water Hyssop (Bacopa monnieri), Wild Asparagus root, Zizyphus jujuba fruit. Polygala root is known as the "Will Strengthener” in Chinese medicine. Wild Oat (Avena Sativa) is a nerve tonic that helps to reduce the symptoms of withdrawal from opium and morphine addiction, so it might be useful to deal with excess endorphin levels. Forskolin a component Coleus forskohlii activates the enzyme andylate cyclase resulting in an increase in cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cAMP) levels. The shift to long-term memory is mediated by a protein molecule called CREB (cyclic AMP response element binding protein).

Receptor Recovery: Following are some supplements Dr. Ward Dean suggests for increasing receptor sensitivity. They all have multiple mechanisms of action, without toxicity: Ginkgo biloba, Goat’s rue, Alpha Lipoic, Acetyl-L-Carnitine, Cinnamon Extract, S-adenosylmethionine (SAMe), Phosphatidylserine, Tribulus terrestris, Chaste Berry, Forskolin, Chromium picolinate, Vanadyl Sulfate, Essential Fatty Acids (EFA), Tryptophan, (5-HTP), Blueberries, Spinach, Strawberries, Succinic acid, Calcium-2 AEP, Black Cohosh.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables