Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Homemade deodorant, great reviews.
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 26, 2011 12:47AM

For girls or boys, check it out.

[girlonbikewrites.blogspot.com]

Tips from people making it, etc.

Some tips from the thread in case you don't want to read the whole 9 pages.
If you want to use a liquid oil, you could probably add some palm stearic (stearic acid) which is a hard, kind of waxy flake that is basically the "hard" part from s...olid oils. Just melt together and when it cools it will harden up. It's used in thickening creams and lotions.
You might be able to use a combo of liquid oil and beeswax or camellila wax instead of the coconut oil or stearic acid.
You could try arrowroot powder instead of the cornstarch but not sure if/how it would thicken up.
If you don't have a dehydrator you can heat in the oven on warm/low for about 15 minutes or in the microwave for about 2-3 min. Basically just any form of heat will do. (this is if you are using corn starch, the cornstarch activates and thickens with the heat).
If you are putting the mixture into an old empty deodorant container jam it in the container, then heat the whole thing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Homemade deodorant, great reviews.
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: January 26, 2011 01:15AM

I've been meaning to make a homemade deodorant, but it is one of those things I just haven't got around to yet...I found a recipe in a magazine awhile back using simple ingredients including coconut oil.

I need to get busy making some...

Date: January 26, 2011 01:20AM

I made the one from angrychicken's blog, it was fine but had to be stored in a little sealer jar and eventually went rancid. This one will keep for longer, coco oil is pretty stable. Plus you can make small batches by hand and no need to melt beeswax etc. I'll be trying this one soon.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: January 26, 2011 01:54AM

this looks pretty good, thanks for sharing cocosmiling smiley

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: January 28, 2011 07:12PM

I just dust baking powder on with a powder puff... works for me smiling smiley

Date: February 21, 2011 11:29PM

Leaves residue and oddly ends up in my bra every time I use it.

Posted by: Soraya ()
Date: July 23, 2011 02:07AM

HA! I knew there was an ol' thread about homemade deodorant here somewhere!!!

coco ~ are you still using that one?

I've been going NUTS as even natural (and) herbal deodorants have been drying and irritating my skin; I even have gotten small 'burns'. A couple nights ago I decided to take matters into my own hands and research recipes to try.

I found one - a solid which looked interesting - but then after combing through a LOT of comments, I decided to tweak things a bit...

Here's the original:

3 Tbsps shea butter
2 Tbsps baking soda
2 Tbsps cornstarch
2 Tbsps cocoa butter
2 Vit E oil gelcaps
*optional* Tea Tree oil
essentail oil (ylang ylang & orange,for example)

Some recommendations made in comments:

Can substitute arrowroot powder (which I did and works beautifully - corn isn't a friend of mine)

Would be better to make the b.soda ratio to cornstarch / arrowroot powder 1:6, as most people found a larger ratio of b.soda much too harsh for them

What I ended up trying:

2 Tbsps cocoa butter
1 Tbsp coconut oil (anti-bacterial & anti-fungal)
@ 3 1/2 Tbsps arrowroot powder
@ 1/2 Tbsp baking soda
@ 8-10 drops Vit. E oil

Made 2 batches - one with a small amount of essential oil, and one without as I suspect that I have become much more sensitive to essential oils on a whole. Tried the first one yesterday, and, as suspected, the oil bothered me. Testing the second one, and so far, so good. Put it in a small, opaque jar and it takes very little applied to work. So far, so good, and

NO IRRITATION!!!

Date: July 23, 2011 04:12PM

Couple of things I forgot to mention(!)

My cocoa butter also has jojoba oil added to it, and the essential oil I used was premixed with grapeseed oil.

The deodorant itself has the consistancy of a cream - or more like a slightly softened shea butter. I mixed a small portion of both batches this morning to test and so far it's great (I guess I can use some essential oil but in small enough amounts - the opposite seems to be true with herbal extracts). Absorbs quickly with no residue issues to note so far.

I like having all the oils in there as it's very soothing to the skin (especially with the issues I've been having!) and the extra moisturising has left my underarms feeling so, so good ;}

Date: July 24, 2011 04:32PM

I'll have to try your recipe this summer. Generally I am so incredibly lazy about this, I might rub a bit of plain old baking soda on and or a bit a essential oil and that's it.

Date: July 31, 2011 04:30AM

So I find myself in a Whole Foods Whole Body Shop a few days ago, and happened to see something at the end od the deodorant shelf: a slim, 3/4"(?) thick little round tube of product listing the same ingredients that I used (sans jojoba & grapeseed oils) for around $12!!!!

My jaw hit the floor...

Am very happy with my little experiment!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables