Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Nutri-Con: The Truth About Vitamins and Supplements
Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: January 28, 2011 06:00PM

I do wish vitamins were labeled as to if they contained any synthetic ingredients --

[www.organicconsumers.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2011 06:05PM by KidRaw.

Options: ReplyQuote
Campaign Goals
Date: January 28, 2011 06:02PM

A campaign to expose the hazards and limited effectiveness of synthetic vitamins and supplements, creating marketplace awareness and demand for truly organic, naturally occurring vitamins, botanicals, & supplements.

Campaign Goals

?To implement a new set of Naturally Occurring Standards (NOS), certification procedures, and labels which are truly organic.
?To expose the fact that 90% or more of the vitamins and supplements now on the market labeled as "natural" or "food based" are spiked with synthetic chemicals.
?To inform and remind consumers that Big Pharma's prescription and over the counter drugs are generally hazardous substances offering no real solution to our health problems.
?To highlight preventive health and wellness promotion, traditional holistic remedies, and complementary medicine practices which represent the "organic road" to health.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2011 06:07PM by KidRaw.

Re: Nutri-Con: The Truth About Vitamins and Supplements
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: January 28, 2011 09:23PM

Yes, that would be nice to know exactly what was in everything you buy! Food, vitamins, clothes, shoes, art, paper etc...Its in consumers interest most of the time to have natural stuff as much as possible.

But economics are such that its too tempting for producers to be a little less than honest about ingredients. I have seen so many misleading stuff on packaging its so uncool.

And then sometimes its consumers fault, not every consumer is concerned about getting real benefits from real food, or avoiding sythetic stuff. Our only hope is that people learn the benefits and the potential hazards.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: January 28, 2011 11:56PM

It's a fine line we walk here, as we also do not want the FDA or our government involved in this...

I have been looking at B12 & some other vi./minerals lately. I do see it listed on many labels that they are "vegan formula", do not contain synthetics, etc...

that is...if you can believe the label/company...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2011 11:57PM by juicerkatz.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 29, 2011 12:08AM

Can't believe anything these days. My supplements are nearly all of the whole food variety. I'm thinking of adding that Moringa power house as well, it looks so amazing.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 29, 2011 12:56PM

Stearates, it's all got stearates in it . . . I take almost no supplements these days, and I make sure they have as few ingredients as possible--this is becoming more difficult to do. I also try not to sound exasperated when someone tells me they're taking such and such and should be fine and I must tell them that's synthetic and will give them liver failure or whatever.

Thanks for posting this, KidRaw.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: January 29, 2011 01:45PM

Some supplements can give you liver failure? I remember seeing that some conventional supplements had som pretty nasty stuff in them, so i guess so. Hydrogenated oils is one, some have lead?

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: January 30, 2011 09:51PM

Ive never been a fan of synthetic vitamins and always recommended herbal or whole food sources.

But there are some cases where synthetic is the only option such as b-12.

Its mostly the fat soluble vitamins such as A, D, E that have been potentially slated and mostly from individuals taking mega doses. If your that silly to take 10 times the stated dose its your own fault in my opinion.

Date: January 30, 2011 11:49PM

So are all B-12 vitamins synthetic? I sometimes take Garden of Life Vitamin Code Raw B-complex with B-12. I always thought it was all natural.

Date: January 31, 2011 02:05PM

Kid,

The Vitamin Code ones are all synthesized from natural sources, and raw, so I wouldn't worry that they're artificial--they aren't smiling smiley

Date: February 01, 2011 01:13PM

As tamukha says not all are, but the majority are minus dedicated brands such as ive heard above.

Any idea the process i cant find any information?, if its synthesized then surely its now a synthetic compound rather than naturally occurring whole food vitamins as were talking about?

Date: February 01, 2011 06:45PM

powerlifer,

I think when vitamin manufacturers say "synthesized," they use it as synonymous with "compounded," rather than "artificial"--that is what makes finding natural supplements so tricky. I was confused about this for a long time, but when the Vitamin Code Raw vitamins were first introduced, I got a book, well, it's more of a thick pamphlet, at the health food store that clarified some things. It's called The Vitamin Code, and it's by Massoud Arvanaghi, PhD, and Mike Yorkey. It's basically a history of our discovery and cataloging of nutrients. I don't know if it's available still, but I think you'd find it really interesting.

Date: February 02, 2011 06:14PM

I will have a look for it thanks, if you find out the process they use for the b12 supplement id also be interested. I may even email them soon if i get abit of time.

Cheers

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables