Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

A Sweeping Survey of Americans' Sexual Behavior
Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: March 04, 2011 07:04PM

I never thought so many young people were virgins. Maybe it correlates to the percentage that is undesirable for one reason or another - they can't get anybody to go out with them.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

"Among the findings of a sweeping federal government survey of American sexual behavior is one that may surprise those bewailing a permissive and eros-soaked popular culture: More than one-quarter of people interviewed in their late teens and early 20s had never had sex."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A Sweeping Survey of Americans' Sexual Behavior
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: March 04, 2011 08:39PM

I saw this article in one of my morning papers...I am not sure I believe the study...

Of course, I don't believe much of what I read anymore, so I just add this to it...

Interesting though...

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 04, 2011 08:54PM

The study group was 13,400 some random people, ages 15-44, interviewed over two years times. Let's say half of these people are under 20s[unlikely given the parameters], this study isn't a real study . . . of teen sexual behavior. They need to do more work before releasing results like this!

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: March 04, 2011 11:03PM

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The study group was 13,400 some random people,
> ages 15-44, interviewed over two years times.
> Let's say half of these people are under 20s, this
> study isn't a real study . . . of teen sexual
> behavior. They need to do more work before
> releasing results like this!

I remember reading a report a couple of years ago where they asked school kids these questions, and the results were off the charts in terms of their illicit behaviors.

The "friends with benefits" was a big thing. Seems you don't even have to be dating a person anymore to be sexually active...well, I suppose it has always been that way to a point...

But the whole "friends with benefits" thing got me...girls weren't like that when I was in high school... mid to late 80's...

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: March 05, 2011 02:07AM

Ive noticed one thing, many in my age range have a super permissive and er, "open" idea of sex, that would be described by less friendly people in a more negative way (both males and females) but Ive also noticed another movement, more acceptance of people both male and female who dont want to have sex right away, I know people my age that are still virgins, and they dont get nearly as much crap for it as I used to see, many people even support them in their choice, and here is the shocking thing... most of them I know, aren't religious... obviously the people ive met and talked to are not a giant cross section of the populace, but its still an interesting observation and makes me wonder if things are similar to this else where...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 05, 2011 01:26PM

Today's children are sexualized in our culture. I blame the evil of "Toddlers and Tiaras," etc. When I was in junior high, we dated, but no one was having sex. It was just a ridiculous idea. However, most of us came from middle class homes with middle class values. We were treated like children, and adults acted like adults. We weren't allowed to dress like tarts or pimps for Halloween, let me put it that way.

I think there has been a complete erosion of the definition of childhood, which was pretty stable since the late Renaissance, and that it's mostly due to consumerism: If children are made to be considered a legitimate demographic for consumer goods, they must be marketed to like adults are, and the eventual result is artificial maturation of children in the popular conscious.

It may also be something in the water, as in, "Lady, why is your ten-year old dressed like a whore? Is there something in your drinking water that made you think it was OK to let her leave the house looking like that?"

"People of Walmart," y'all--grownups can walk around in public with they nethers hangin' out they drawers, what can we expect of children?

Date: March 05, 2011 01:32PM

I agree, I was barely able to hold back some extremely violent urges when I saw a guy with his what looked like around 5 year old daughter, and she was wearing short shorts and a t shirt that said "Daddy's lil fluffer" on it...it was so disgusting... I reported him to mall security and the police, I was a mandated reporter, but even if I wasnt, I still would have reported him...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: March 05, 2011 02:45PM

This makes me think of something I experienced in Jr. high. I used to rush home to watch "The price is right". I told that to someone, and they thought it was strange that someone in jr. High was interested in a game show like that.

But it wasn't until recently that I discovered why exactly I liked the show. It was because of Bob Barker. I thought it was sad in a way, its because I liked the soothing sound of his voice, and he was a positive roll model for me. Most other programs had images of adult males who were jerks basically. Either being overly sexual or violent of selfish in someway. I think this was one of the few adult males I saw on T.V. that presented something positive. He was very manly but not a jerk. So I guess it wasn't so strange after all to want to see the Price is right after all.

Date: March 05, 2011 02:47PM

I also blame it on the media - like TV and movies and videos. And sex education in schools, which starts too early and is too explicit. I think government education turns kids into clones.

Date: March 05, 2011 02:54PM

Mislu! I loved Bob barker! I used to wish he was my dadtongue sticking out smiley,lol...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: March 05, 2011 02:59PM

Yes, I think he would have been the coolest dad ever. I think my dad was awsome, but he would never have the stage presense of Bob Barker.Casey kasem was another person I liked to listen to every week on the top 40.

Posted by: RocketShip ()
Date: March 05, 2011 08:36PM

Lumping 15-24yr olds in the same group... come on, really? Really? Bah.

Curator... I would have been INSANE about that girl and that man (father?). Good for you for reporting it. I probably would have called the cops and followed them until the cops located them. Or something equally out of my mind and ridiculous. Poor little girl. sad smiley

Date: March 05, 2011 08:58PM

mall security held them till the real cops got there, they didnt tell the man why, just asked him to wait with them for awhile, the cops brought a CPS agent with them too..I didnt expect that, that was pretty cool.

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: March 05, 2011 10:47PM

Nevermind - I looked up what it meant....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2011 10:52PM by KidRaw.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables