Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

toenail fungus
Posted by: rufio ()
Date: April 16, 2011 04:19AM

whats the best way of combating this? i have 2 infected toenails. if i am going to use something i have to stick with it for a long time so i want to see what you guys think would be best.

tea tree oil
amoresse thymol (this stuff has a weird preservative called PCMX in it)
oregano oil (read it irritates the skin)

i tried tto for a few days and it turned my nails white, i guess thats a good thing. ive read about more people having success with thymol though.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: toenail fungus
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: April 16, 2011 05:07AM

really strong black tea worked for me, it also worked for another friend for her foot fungus, but gotta be careful, I didnt soak my feet like she did, I just brewed the tea really strong, and then covered my toes in it... got rid of it in a couple weeks

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: April 16, 2011 09:50AM

The best idea is to start by cutting the nail back as far as you can.

Then apply the thyme oil, which has strong anti-fungal properties.

The tannins in tea are both anti-fungal and antiseptic which is why it likely worked curator.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: April 20, 2011 06:58PM

I'd use Lugol's Iodine 5% which I order at jcrows.com by calling in my order. You also can get cheap types of Iodine at the drug stores.

I use Iodine for a lot of things. You can do a search on what Iodine is good for.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: April 21, 2011 03:30AM

There is a strand on this around October 2009, titled, "Help! toe nail fungus!" and you can get to it through the search function.

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: rufio ()
Date: April 21, 2011 05:52AM

The tea tree oil experiment failed. Really damaged the skin. Maybe I should've mixed it with olive oil.

I'll wait for the skin to heal and try again.

Date: April 21, 2011 12:06PM

Yeah diluting the oils such as thyme and tee tree can be a good idea.

Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: April 21, 2011 08:19PM

Honestly, I don't think any of this stuff works on serious cases. I've tried tea tree oil, soaking in salts, vapo-rub, over the counter anti-fungals and prescription drugs. Only prescription worked, but I guess I didn't take it long enough or I forgot a few doses because it came right back. I've been afflicted for over 20 years on one foot (it never spread to the other).

Date: April 23, 2011 09:14AM

Ive seen serious cases rectified with thyme oil veghunter.

Have you tried cutting the nail back as far as possible and filing it down a little.

Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: April 23, 2011 09:58PM

Thanks, powerlifer, but I haven't even had a nail on my big toe for over a year. It falls off itself when it starts to grow back. So, I don't think cutting the nail back is going to help.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: April 24, 2011 04:25PM

About 25 years ago I had my finger accidently slammed by a steel door and I lost the fingernail and when it did grow back it only grew back partially. The part that was split would grow in a soft nail then slough off and before it would slough off it was very painful and I'd have to cut it back so it wouldn't catch on anything and rip off. This was half of my fingernail.

It stayed that way until I started taking Iodine. I had started taking Iodine for thyroid issues but I had some other welcome side effects. Softer skin, lumpy breast tissue went away and my fingernail started to improve. My fingernail is almost normal and now nobody notices it when before I'd get comments often about it.

I am a firm believer of the healing power of Iodine and use it to paint skin anomalies with it. Brown spots, those white age spots that are difficult to get rid of, scratches, wounds, moles, lots of things.

I have been making my own eye drops also with it. I take a glass stopper bottle and put in 3 drops of the Iodine and then fill it with filtered water and every morning I use it as eye drops.

I still take Iodine but only a few times a month now, but use it to paint on my skin a few times a week or as needed. My fingernail is 99% normal and it's still improving.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: April 25, 2011 08:54PM

Fungus needs a specific pH to thrive. Vinegar soaks have worked for me.

Date: April 26, 2011 11:33AM

vermontnl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fungus needs a specific pH to thrive. Vinegar
> soaks have worked for me.

Agree, fungus usually thrives in an alkaline PH which is why the vinegar likely worked due to the acetic acids and acidity.

[www.amlaberry.co.uk]

Posted by: eshirlene ()
Date: April 29, 2011 07:56PM

I heard that using vicks vapor rub on it was successful for many people...if that works, I wish I had known it before I put my daughter one some very strong medication for three months to get rid of her fungus infection

Posted by: coronagranny ()
Date: June 20, 2011 05:00PM

I got a fungus when I was on Guam. I had to soak my hands and feet in the hottest water i could. 1 cup bleach to 1 gal of hot water. It worked. Never came back.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables