Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

worrying symptoms of heat stress?
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: July 07, 2011 08:01PM

A dear friend of mine seemed to have some distressing symptoms. He blames the heat. Dissiness, almost fainting spells, tiredness, severe sweating. Hes had heat stroke before, where he had his muscles contracting, and vomiting etc...So it wasn't that bad, but this was scary enough. He thought that eating processed bread, and wine in the meal just 1-2 hours before had something to do with it.

I just came home and made him some mint tea from the garden. He ate a banana, had a piece of peppermint candy, and some water. Hes resting on the couch and seems ok for now. But he says that he just needs to leave the area in search of a cooler climate. I don't know, does alcohol increase ones stress response to heat?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: worrying symptoms of heat stress?
Date: July 07, 2011 08:58PM

He seems fine now. Sorry, it wasn't a good thread to start.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 07, 2011 09:04PM

He sounds like he could stand to visit with a doctor and reevaluate his life my friend :/.
Sometimes people refuse to listen to the very clear messages their own body is sending them. Not much we can do about others and their habits but continue to love them and not take things too personally. Worry = stress and that is not good for you. XO

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 08, 2011 03:50AM

yep alcohol can make heat stress worse smiling smiley ... dehydrates you even more.

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: July 08, 2011 11:34PM

He went to his room this evening pretty early. Also without saying anything. I went to check up on him, and hes not feeling well. He isn't taking the heat very well. There could be some other things happening, I don't know what.

MIL and his sister heard about that, and they immeditately were critical. I couldn't believe it! They blame his change in eating habits! The sister is a trained dietition, and she immediately said something about feeling tired if you don't eat meat. A lack of b12. I told her that he DOES take b12 sublingual caps, and she was just all silent for awhile, but minutes later said something about needing to eat meat.

I told her he eats eggs at least twice a week, sashimi and sometimes cheese. She just looked kind of off in the distance, like 'thats still not the magical beef or pork'. I am totally amazed! I didn't want to bring it up, but I think its because of his previous experience with heat stress, and the fact that he had some wine before going for a walk in the hot weather. I just didn't want that to be a point of nagging, but I think that he honestly needs to stop drinking beer, wine etc until the weather gets cooler. He never has more than 2 glasses, so it seems like it would be fine. But he already has a predisposition to having problems since that major incidence.

My mil blames the fact that he rarely has her pasta. I should have mentioned that he had pasta about 2 hours before the more recent incidence. I think its the wine. She also suggested that we have the swiss chard soup again, the one that I hate making. It might help, and might not. But I am so surprised at what she thinks might help. That might help more than the pasta suggestion.

I just think that going completely dry for awhile will do a long way to preventing any further problem. I don't think he had anything to drink today, but perhaps it takes awhile for ones mineral balance to adjust after some stressful event.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 09, 2011 05:42PM

he should be drinking some water ..

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: raw artist ()
Date: July 15, 2011 06:58AM

A few weeks ago, I had a pretty serious bout of dehydration/heat stress. I live in Georgia with it's typical hot summer days. It happened to me because I hate the bleach smell in our tap water & therefore wouldn't drink it. Not even when filtered & I usually don't buy bottled because I feel I shouldn't have to. Anyway, I was suffering greatly, but didn't want to go to get an i. v. again. I've had to do that 2 times before in previous years. What I did was to drink a lot of Pedialyte(electrolyte solution) plus lots of water boiled, then cooled to room temperature (because I could get it in faster than cold water). I marked down how many quarts of water I drank, while shooting for 4 quarts per day plus the Pedialyte. After about a week of this I am feeling very well now. I've learned my lesson (yeah took a while, tried to be in denial). Also, if I had been eating right & having lots of veg juice etc. along with boiled water, like I am now, then the dehydration wouldn't have happened. Maybe this can help Mil if it happens again, or help someone else reading this post. I'm glad he's feeling better now. His sister has a lot a lot to learn, if she's willing to. It's not her fault what she was & wasn't taught about nutrition in school.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 15, 2011 02:06PM

Wow, scary. I'd keep some coconut water in the back of the fridge for such an occasion to have instead of the pedialite.

Date: July 15, 2011 05:09PM

We both have been eating celery for the sodium content, along with more fruit, crenshaw melon has been the favorite. I think hes been feeling a lot better. But its also been a little cooler, that is cooler from the time it happened. Hes also really has been limiting alcohol, mostly for 'taste'. He bought a small bottle the other day for a meal, almost a glass size.

Posted by: raw artist ()
Date: July 16, 2011 04:41AM

Thanks coco, I've heard coconut water has lots of electrolytes in it & I'll definitely get some.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables